FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Dan Irwin
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

Hi list,

This is a bit of a rant about empathy.

This has to be the buggiest, least user friendly application on
Fedora. And we choose it as our default IM client. Why?

I did a quick scan of the list, and I don't see much traffic about
empathy. Surely It's not just me.

Over several successive versions (Since Fedora 10), empathy has never
"just worked" or "worked right" on my laptop. It will crash. Modules
will crash. People will complain that I am signed in and ignoring
them, when I don't appear to have empathy even running. While I have
persisted with it, empathy seems exceptionally bad in Fedora 16.

I have now removed all accounts from empathy, and gone back to pidgin.
Result? IM which works, behaves, and seems sane.

I think the concept of empathy/telepathy is great. The implementation
is about as far from great as one could get.

Surely I am not the only one who has these experiences and thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Dan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Olav Vitters
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:53:17AM +1000, Dan Irwin wrote:
> Over several successive versions (Since Fedora 10), empathy has never
> "just worked" or "worked right" on my laptop. It will crash. Modules
> will crash. People will complain that I am signed in and ignoring
> them, when I don't appear to have empathy even running. While I have
> persisted with it, empathy seems exceptionally bad in Fedora 16.

I've seen some Empathy crashes 6+ months ago, but nothing lately. Did
you file bugs for the crashers? Have they've been handled / forwarded
upstream?

--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:53:17AM +1000, Dan Irwin wrote:
>> Over several successive versions (Since Fedora 10), empathy has never
>> "just worked" or "worked right" on my laptop. It will crash. Modules
>> will crash. People will complain that I am signed in and ignoring
>> them, when I don't appear to have empathy even running. While I have
>> persisted with it, empathy seems exceptionally bad in Fedora 16.
>

I suggest you stop using it and switch to something else - file bugs
and if they are not resolved and the app is not working for you, don't
use it.

Let others know what you find to be better alternative as that can be
helpful as well.

gene


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Olav Vitters
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 07:56:41AM -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
> Let others know what you find to be better alternative as that can be
> helpful as well.

He already mentioned Pidgin.

--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Hiisi
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

On 1 March 2012 05:53, Dan Irwin <rummymobile@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
<--RANT SNIPPED-->
> Thanks for reading.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

I had similar problems with empathy in F15. It caused X freezes
whenever new messages arrived. Then I switched to pidgin. On my
current F16 installation I decided to give it a try - at least it has
nice pop-up functionality. And everything works pretty well.
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 AM
Dan Irwin
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl> wrote:

> I've seen some Empathy crashes 6+ months ago, but nothing lately. Did
> you file bugs for the crashers? Have they've been handled / forwarded
> upstream?

No, not yet. I was mainly fishing to see if anyone else has the
problems i am seeing. Given the small number of replies, I can assume
one of two things:
1) Not many people actually use empathy, or
2) Others are not seeing the problems I am.

If i can pinpoint some consistent buggy/bad behaviour, I will submit
some reports to bugzilla.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Tim
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 13:54 +1000, Dan Irwin wrote:
> No, not yet. I was mainly fishing to see if anyone else has the
> problems i am seeing. Given the small number of replies, I can assume
> one of two things:
> 1) Not many people actually use empathy, or

Just FYI, I tried it, found it annoying, went back to Pidgin.

> 2) Others are not seeing the problems I am.

Dunno about that, never tried it for long enough. Don't really want to,
either.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Jan Köster
 
Default empathy - is it for real?

Am Freitag, den 02.03.2012, 13:54 +1000 schrieb Dan Irwin:

> 1) Not many people actually use empathy, or
> 2) Others are not seeing the problems I am.
Well I'm using it without any problems so far (ICQ/Jabber). But as I'm
not using it often I might just have been lucky so far.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org