Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Aleksey Tsalolikhin

Default Can't download EPEL RPMs using /bin/rpm after the move from download.fedora.redhat.com to download.fedoraproject.org

Hi.

The EPEL repo is very helpful, thanks for it!

I can no longer download EPEL RPMs using /bin/rpm after the move from
download.fedora.redhat.com to download.fedoraproject.org.

# rpm -ihv http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
Retrieving http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
error: skipping
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
- transfer failed - Unknown or unexpected error
warning: u 0x1f5ebe20 ctrl 0x2010e500 nrefs != 0
(download.fedoraproject.org http)
#

Could you please fix this?

Thanks and congratulations for moving out from redhat.com and to your
own domain.

Best,
Aleksey

Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:45:58 -0800
Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> The EPEL repo is very helpful, thanks for it!
>
> I can no longer download EPEL RPMs using /bin/rpm after the move from
> download.fedora.redhat.com to download.fedoraproject.org.
>
> # rpm -ihv
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
> Retrieving
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
> error: skipping
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
> - transfer failed - Unknown or unexpected error
> warning: u 0x1f5ebe20 ctrl 0x2010e500 nrefs != 0
> (download.fedoraproject.org http)

This is because download.fedoraproject.org is a redirect to a mirror.
rpm (in rhel5) doesn't follow them.

> Could you please fix this?

You can wget the file and install it with yum/rpm locally, or you could
use 'dl.fedoraproject.org' which is a direct hostname to the master
mirrors.

> Thanks and congratulations for moving out from redhat.com and to your
> own domain.

The download.fedora.redhat.com host has been pointing to fedora mirrors
for about 2 years now. We only just removed it to make sure people were
no longer using it.

kevin

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 AM
Aleksey Tsalolikhin

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:45:58 -0800
> Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> *I can no longer download EPEL RPMs using /bin/rpm after the move from
>> download.fedora.redhat.com to download.fedoraproject.org.
>>
>> # rpm -ihv
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
>> Retrieving
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
>> error: skipping
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
>> - transfer failed - Unknown or unexpected error
>> warning: u 0x1f5ebe20 ctrl 0x2010e500 nrefs != 0
>> (download.fedoraproject.org http)
>
> This is because download.fedoraproject.org is a redirect to a mirror.
> rpm (in rhel5) doesn't follow them.
>
>> Could you please fix this?
>
> You can wget the file and install it with yum/rpm locally, or you could
> use 'dl.fedoraproject.org' which is a direct hostname to the master
> mirrors.

OK. Thank you.

I was following the procedure documented on the EPEL FAQ. I'd like to
update this documentation on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_install_the_packages_from_the_EPEL_s oftware_repository.3F

with the above workaround for RHEL 5. How do I request edit privs on
the Wiki, please? I don't see a link to register for a Wiki account.

Yours very truly,
Aleksey

Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:10:43 -0700
Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK. Thank you.
>
> I was following the procedure documented on the EPEL FAQ. I'd like to
> update this documentation on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_install_the_packages_from_the_EPEL_s oftware_repository.3F

Sigh. I wish that page had gone away when I redesigned things... but
people keep bringing it back.

The best way to look at it is:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL#How_can_I_use_these_extra_packages.3F

From the front epel page.

> with the above workaround for RHEL 5. How do I request edit privs on
> the Wiki, please? I don't see a link to register for a Wiki account.

Anyone with a fedora account can edit the wiki. Feel free to correct
it.

> Yours very truly,
> Aleksey

kevin