Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Tom Horsley

Default how to start fvwm from the console command line?

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:04:01 -0700
stan wrote:

> Anyone have an answer?

X session startup is one of those things they keep "improving"
so that nothing you find in google is ever accurate or up
to date. I use fvwm myself, but I'm not sure how to make
startx run any particular session. I login to X with KDM
and install the xorg-x11-xinit-session package from yum
which provides a "custom" start option you can select
in the KDM login screen that will actually (gasp!) run
your ~/.xsession script at startup (just like X always
did for 30 years before they improved it).

Then I can run fvwm in my ~/.xsession script.

More info available here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html

Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
stan

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:54:06 -0500
Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> I login to X with KDM
>
> Then I can run fvwm in my ~/.xsession script.
>
> More info available here:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html

Thanks for the reference. Because of the way I installed F15, I boot
to multiuser instead of X (I did a minimal network install, ran
preupgrade in F14 to get the packages for F15 that I used in
F14, then used them to upgrade the minimal install, and left F14
intact as fallback. The Fedora wiki describes the simple process of
cleaning up a partially preupgraded system.). The minimal install
boots to multiuser by default, I find I like it that way, and
haven't fixed it. If an X session goes bad, switch to the console it
is running on and type Ctrl-C, all better. If I find no way to do it
from the console, I'll break down and implement your method after I fix
the boot to be graphical instead of multiuser.

I had no idea that Gnome was so interdependent / monolithic. Reminds
me of a giant COBOL program. And yes, now that you mention it, that is
how Windows is too. To each their own. And regardless how I might
frown at that kind of design (where were the architects?), I got lots of
great use out of the interface as long as their idea and mine of what a
GUI is were somewhat similar, and thank them for that, and wish them
well.

A possibility I haven't pursued yet is
http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/
and there look to be some great themes there. That is supposed to
start with a simple
fvwm-themes-start
from a console. Fedora doesn't seem to have that as a package, so I'll
compile and install it from tarball. It seems fairly old, so
might be obsolete. If that works, I'll upgrade to the latest fvwm
(2.6.4). I wanted to kick the tires on fvwm before I invested a lot of
time and effort in it. There are lots of great config files on the web
I wanted to try. Looks like that plan isn't going to work without some
modification.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Andras Simon

2012/2/29, stan <gryt2@q.com>:

[...]

> A possibility I haven't pursued yet is
> http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/
> and there look to be some great themes there. That is supposed to
> start with a simple
> fvwm-themes-start
> from a console. Fedora doesn't seem to have that as a package, so I'll
> compile and install it from tarball. It seems fairly old, so
> might be obsolete. If that works, I'll upgrade to the latest fvwm
> (2.6.4). I wanted to kick the tires on fvwm before I invested a lot of
> time and effort in it. There are lots of great config files on the web
> I wanted to try. Looks like that plan isn't going to work without some
> modification.

Can't you simply start X with startx and put
exec /path/to/fvwm
as the last line into ~/.Xclients (and make it executable)?

Andras

Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
stan

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:17:01 +0100
Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't you simply start X with startx and put
> exec /path/to/fvwm
> as the last line into ~/.Xclients (and make it executable)?

Well, yes I can... after your help. ;-)

That worked great! Thank you.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Andras Simon

2012/2/29, stan <gryt2@q.com>:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:17:01 +0100
> Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can't you simply start X with startx and put
>> exec /path/to/fvwm
>> as the last line into ~/.Xclients (and make it executable)?
>
> Well, yes I can... after your help. ;-)
>
> That worked great! Thank you.

You're welcome,

Andras

Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Just curious, has anyone tried pekwm yet? www.pekwm.org, and it is in
the Fedora repositories.

Also, is it possible to make a LiveCD with a WM environment (not with a
DE)?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
stan

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 07:26:42 -0600
Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:

> Just curious, has anyone tried pekwm yet? www.pekwm.org, and it is in
> the Fedora repositories.

Haven't tried it. Yet, at least. Now that you have pointed it out,
I will probably give it a whirl. The site below has a comprehensive
list of window managers for linux, with links and brief comments.
http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html
It suggests pekwm behaves like a derivative of aewm++ with window
grouping like PWM and fluxbox. And no, I don't know what that means,
though he does say that he likes it.

> Also, is it possible to make a LiveCD with a WM environment (not with
> a DE)?

Of course it's possible. ;-) The question I think you are asking is if
there exists a mechanism to provide that easily, and I think the answer
is no. However, it should be possible to take the image of a desktop
iso that exists, mount it locally, copy it so it is rw, modify it to
your needs (change applications, configuration), and then recreate a
new iso from the modified copy. Burn to CD, and you then have your
custom live CD. I haven't actually done this, so theoretical musings
only, the implementation left as an exercise for the reader. :-)

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 09:04:01AM -0700, stan wrote:
> I'm looking at alternative window managers to Gnome fallback, the only
> Gnome my old hardware and work preference will support. The more I
> investigate fvwm, the more it seems like a nice stable,
> extremely configurable solution to my problem. The modular concept is
> great, and the ability to program behavior in a scripting language and
> interface seemlessly to the wm seems like a nice idea too. Sure, there
> is a learning curve, and no GUI configuration, but I can come to my
> perfect setup, and won't need to worry about dependency on the latest
> bee someone has in their bonnet about what constitutes a modern GUI.
> Well, at least until I updgrade my hardware, and maybe not even then.
>
> There is a problem though. How do I start fvwm from a console? What
> is the command for fvwm corresponding to startx or startxfce4? I found
> XSESSION=fvwm2 startx -- :1 vt11
> and that works, but seems to just start the regular Gnome fallback
> mode that startx by itself does. Maybe this is so well known that no
> one bothers documenting it, but I couldn't find it on the web.
>
> Anyone have an answer?

Not familiar with fvwm, but I have 4 wm's that I run on a regular basis, and
what I have done is make a little shell script:

#!/bin/bash
#Window Manager Chooser Script
XINIT=/home/rh/.xinitrc
if [ -e "$XINIT" ]; then
rm /home/rh/.xinitrc
else
echo '*** No .xinitrc found; will create new one.'
fi
echo -e "
"
echo -e "
"
echo Hello, $USER! Which WM will it be this time?
echo -e "
"
echo 'FBOX (type 'fb'); E17 (type 'e'); OPENBOX (type 'ob'); XTERM (type 'xt'):'
echo 'Type Ctl-C or "quit" to exit.'
read WMGR
if [ "$WMGR" = fb ]; then
echo 'exec startfluxbox' >> /home/rh/.xinitrc
echo 'Starting Fluxbox...'
sleep 3
startx
exit 1
elif [ "$WMGR" = ob ]; then
echo 'exec openbox-session' >> /home/rh/.xinitrc
echo 'Starting Openbox...'
sleep 3
startx
exit 1
elif [ "$WMGR" = e ]; then
echo 'xset b off s 10000 -dpms &' >> /home/rh/.xinitrc
echo 'exec enlightenment_start' >> /home/rh/.xinitrc
echo 'Starting E17...'
sleep 3
startx
exit 1
elif [ "$WMGR" = xt ]; then
echo 'exec xterm' >> /home/rh/.xinitrc
echo 'Starting X with xterm...'
sleep 3
startx
exit 1
else
echo 'Exiting...'
exit 1
fi
fi

I don't know if this answers your question, but maybe it helps.

Terry

Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 AM
stan

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:26:45 -0800
ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:

[script removed]

> I don't know if this answers your question, but maybe it helps.

Yes, it answers my question and I will keep the script for future use.
I have already received an answer from Andras Simon that is very
closely related to yours, but it is all good. :-) Thank you.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 PM
stan

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:26:45 -0800
ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:

> Not familiar with fvwm, but I have 4 wm's that I run on a regular
> basis, and what I have done is make a little shell script:

I modified your script to allow an argument, and to start several more
window managers, all available as packages in the Fedora repositories.
At this time it defaults to gnome if no argument is entered. It
uses .Xclients because that runs a Fedora X setup script which .xinitrc
won't, as near as I can tell. I've attached it below.

I named it xselect, but it can be named anything you want.
Started as ./xselect ob, it will start openbox, for example.
If started as ./xselect, it will ask for a two letter code.
If you hit enter again, without a code, it will start the default.
Control-C will cancel.

I run a custom keymap, one I created. In order to get it in all the
window managers, I have it in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols. GDM will pick
it up from there, but some of the window managers need an entry for it
in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml in order to see it. And some
don't seem to have the ability to change to custom keymaps. Putting the
keymap in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols and then putting the file name in
~/.Xkbmap will load it automatically as part of X when this script is
run. There are other ways, using xmodmap and setxkbmap, but this works.