Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Alternative to a Pogoplug

A friend has pointed me to the Pogoplug which right now can be purchased
quite cheaply:

e.g.:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200710735289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

But you have to be careful because:

"That's what was advertised (the pro), and box (sealed) was labeled
Pogo-P21, which should have been the dual core model, but the device was
labeled Pogo-E02, which is this one:

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray

The labeling mess seems to be as a result of them liquidating the
pre-series 4 models and stuffing them into whatever boxes they have."

There seems to be challenges with Fedora support for these devices?
Plus it is also clear that you might not get what you paid for. Sooo....

I am looking for a cheap, low power platform with ethernet and 4 USB
ports (I would even run my system drive off of USB) with 1Gb memory so I
can load a current FC on it. Duo core would be valuable. I have been
burned with this Lenovo not having duo core...

Any recommendations?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
fred smith

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 02:52:23PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> A friend has pointed me to the Pogoplug which right now can be purchased
> quite cheaply:
>
> e.g.:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/200710735289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649
>
> But you have to be careful because:
>
> "That's what was advertised (the pro), and box (sealed) was labeled
> Pogo-P21, which should have been the dual core model, but the device was
> labeled Pogo-E02, which is this one:
>
> http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray
>
> The labeling mess seems to be as a result of them liquidating the
> pre-series 4 models and stuffing them into whatever boxes they have."
>
> There seems to be challenges with Fedora support for these devices?
> Plus it is also clear that you might not get what you paid for. Sooo....
>
> I am looking for a cheap, low power platform with ethernet and 4 USB
> ports (I would even run my system drive off of USB) with 1Gb memory so I
> can load a current FC on it. Duo core would be valuable. I have been
> burned with this Lenovo not having duo core...
>
> Any recommendations?

have you looked at Raspberry Pi ? Not sure it has 4 usb ports, but
powered USB hubs aren't expensive.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:52:23 -0500
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Any recommendations?

newegg.com has a "bookshelf computers" category I was
glancing at the other day. Perhaps one of them
would be good?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Robert Moskowitz

[...]

Wow. This is interesting, but...

Big announcement tomorrow. Perhaps their shipping announcement?

It is just a board, I would have to build a system around it. Will
watch for systems using it in the future, though.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Robert Moskowitz

newegg.com has a "bookshelf computers" category I was
glancing at the other day. Perhaps one of them
would be good?

Pricey. The cheapest is $85 and it seems to be just the system with no
memory. I MIGHT have memory here from a system that smoked, but I can't
tell...

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> On 02/28/2012 03:04 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:52:23 -0500
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> newegg.com has a "bookshelf computers" category I was
>> glancing at the other day. Perhaps one of them
>> would be good?
>

> Pricey. *The cheapest is $85 and it seems to be just the system with no
> memory. *I MIGHT have memory here from a system that smoked, but I can't
> tell...

I don't know where you have been looking for prices but in one of the
UK supplier's web pages it is offered as the model B with memory for
21.60 which is way less than the $85 that you quoted!

--
mike c

Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Robert Moskowitz

newegg.com has a "bookshelf computers" category I was
glancing at the other day. Perhaps one of them
would be good?

Pricey. The cheapest is $85 and it seems to be just the system with no
memory. I MIGHT have memory here from a system that smoked, but I can't
tell...

I don't know where you have been looking for prices but in one of the
UK supplier's web pages it is offered as the model B with memory for
21.60 which is way less than the $85 that you quoted!

Are you mixing newegg.com online catalog with Rasberry Pi?

Here is what I found on newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501004

Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Bob Goodwin

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Robert
newegg.com has a "bookshelf computers" category I was
glancing at the other day. Perhaps one of them
would be good?

Pricey. The cheapest is $85 and it seems to be just the system with no
memory. I MIGHT have memory here from a system that smoked, but I
can't

tell...

I don't know where you have been looking for prices but in one of the
UK supplier's web pages it is offered as the model B with memory for
21.60 which is way less than the $85 that you quoted!

Are you mixing newegg.com online catalog with Rasberry Pi?

Here is what I found on newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501004

Do you have to buy the processor separately?

"Other Thoughts: Very easy to assemble this system, even
though it is very tight. Solid build quality and lot of
though went into the design. I like the custom heatsink. The
system runs cool, but the fans make some clicking sound, I
may need to talk to the support on that.

Overall a good buy if you have one of those old core i3
clarkdale CPUs lying around."

Bob

Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Robert Moskowitz

[...]

Oh, I missed that one! Seems like this is a REALLY barebones box!

I understand the goals of pogoplug and Raspberry Pi and their use of ARM
processors and little memory.

But I want things that are a bit more common and not needing special
compiling and the like. Therefore Intel type architecture and 1Gb
memory. So I do not expect to find this for $50, other than used and
then it won't be low power.

My current server is such, I got it as a clearance from the stock of a
defunct router startup. I pulled the IDE to SD card and installed a
2.5" IDE drive and I was on my way...

Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 10:14 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 09:52 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> >> Are you mixing newegg.com online catalog with Rasberry Pi?
> >>
> >> Here is what I found on newegg...
> >>
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501004
> >>

> > Do you have to buy the processor separately?
> >
> > "Other Thoughts: Very easy to assemble this system, even
> > though it is very tight. Solid build quality and lot of
> > though went into the design. I like the custom heatsink. The
> > system runs cool, but the fans make some clicking sound, I
> > may need to talk to the support on that.
> >
> > Overall a good buy if you have one of those old core i3
> > clarkdale CPUs lying around."
> >
> > Bob
>
> Oh, I missed that one! Seems like this is a REALLY barebones box!
>
> I understand the goals of pogoplug and Raspberry Pi and their use of ARM
> processors and little memory.
>
> But I want things that are a bit more common and not needing special
> compiling and the like. Therefore Intel type architecture and 1Gb
> memory. So I do not expect to find this for $50, other than used and
> then it won't be low power.

http://www.fxitech.com/products/

$200, Linux or Android, looks like a pendrive.

poc