Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Permissions, F-16 -

Would someone explain the meaning of the permissions in the last
line below, especially the "+" ?

[root@box6 bobg]# ll /dev/bus/usb/001
total 0
crw-rw-r--. 1 root root 189, 0 Feb 28 03:08 001
crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 2 Feb 28 03:08 003

I understand read, write, and execute, and generally set them
with the values of 4, 2, and 1, but the --. and the --+ don't
seem to be covered in anything I've "googled." "d" for
directory, but "c" ?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Tony Placilla

Would someone explain the meaning of the permissions in the last
line below, especially the "+" ?

[root@box6 bobg]# ll /dev/bus/usb/001
total 0
crw-rw-r--. 1 root root 189, 0 Feb 28 03:08 001
crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 2 Feb 28 03:08 003

I understand read, write, and execute, and generally set them
with the values of 4, 2, and 1, but the --. and the --+ don't
seem to be covered in anything I've "googled." "d" for
directory, but "c" ?

Thanks,

Bob

The c means it's a character special device (or file. ) Possibly a scanner connected via USB?
The + means there are ACL's in affect for it

--
Tony Placilla <aplacilla@jhu.edu>

Old 02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Bob Goodwin

Would someone explain the meaning of the permissions in the last
line below, especially the "+" ?

[root@box6 bobg]# ll /dev/bus/usb/001
total 0
crw-rw-r--. 1 root root 189, 0 Feb 28 03:08 001
crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 2 Feb 28 03:08 003

I understand read, write, and execute, and generally set them
with the values of 4, 2, and 1, but the --. and the --+ don't
seem to be covered in anything I've "googled." "d" for
directory, but "c" ?

Thanks,

Bob

The c means it's a character special device (or file. ) Possibly a scanner connected via USB?
The + means there are ACL's in affect for it

--
Tony Placilla<aplacilla@jhu.edu>

Thanks for the information.

With that and Google I can at least work around my scanner user
problem.

[root@box6 bobg]# setfacl -m u:bobg:rw- /dev/bus/usb/001/003

I know that will change on reboot, etc. But it's a start.

Bob

Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 AM
David

On 29/02/2012, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> Would someone explain the meaning of the permissions in the last
> line below, especially the "+" ?
>
> [root@box6 bobg]# ll /dev/bus/usb/001
> total 0
> crw-rw-r--. 1 root root 189, 0 Feb 28 03:08 001
> crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 2 Feb 28 03:08 003

At the bottom of 'man ls' here it says:
"The full documentation for ls is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If
the info and ls programs are properly installed at your site, the
command
info coreutils 'ls invocation'
should give you access to the complete manual.
And looking there, your questions are answered in the documentation of
the -l option.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Bob Goodwin

At the bottom of 'man ls' here it says: "The full documentation for ls
is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and ls programs are
properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'ls
invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. And looking
there, your questions are answered in the documentation of the -l option.

Interesting. I never read that before. It produces an
overwhelming amount of information about the basic command "ls."

Now I have to learn to navigate through that!

Thanks,

Bob

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 02:38 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Now I have to learn to navigate through that!

Hint: Using the pinfo program is easier to read than using info. For
one thing, it has coloured highlighting of the interactive parts of the
page.

Though reading any info file is like trying to read ten pages of
documentation spread into various different paragraphs spread across a
hundred pages in a book. You can go around in circles, not quite
finding the part that you need to read.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
David

On 29/02/2012, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Though reading any info file is like trying to read ten pages of
> documentation spread into various different paragraphs spread across a
> hundred pages in a book. You can go around in circles, not quite
> finding the part that you need to read.

Yeah, there is a lot of good information hidden behind a dated interface.
It is easy though to dump all subnodes into a text file which I find
easier to search.

Examples:

info --subnodes -f tar -n "Top" >example1
info --subnodes -f coreutils -n "File permissions" >example2