Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Bart van Kuik

Default Webcam hardware/software advice for Fedora 8

I'm looking for a good compatible webcam for my Fedora 8 laptop.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good plug-and-play webcam?

I also want to use video chat software where the other end can run
Windows. Any suggestions for that? Skype 2.0? Others?

My main priority is getting something working and I'm willing to mix
non-free software and/or somewhat more expensive webcam hardware.

Thanks,
Bart

Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Nicholas Robinson

On Friday 04 April 2008 07:22:49 Bart van Kuik wrote:
> I'm looking for a good compatible webcam for my Fedora 8 laptop.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for a good plug-and-play webcam?
>
> I also want to use video chat software where the other end can run
> Windows. Any suggestions for that? Skype 2.0? Others?
>
> My main priority is getting something working and I'm willing to mix
> non-free software and/or somewhat more expensive webcam hardware.
>
> Thanks,
> Bart

Hi

I've had 100% success on the basis of two!

The more recent one is a Trust one costing around £7. It didn't work
immediately on plugging in, but a quick google on the USB vendor/product ids
revealed it needed gspca installing. Yum came to my rescue and the rest is
history.

I only use my webcam for observing wildlife or time-lapse, but I think someone
recommended using kopete as software a few weeks back.

HTH

Nick

Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Mike

Bart van Kuik <bart <at> vankuik.nl> writes:

> I'm looking for a good compatible webcam for my Fedora 8 laptop.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for a good plug-and-play webcam?
>
> I also want to use video chat software where the other end can run
> Windows. Any suggestions for that? Skype 2.0? Others?

I use a Phillips SPC 900NC - and since the driver is already in the
kernel it is plug and play. It works fine with the new Skype for Linux
and also Ekiga. HTH

Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

It's not enough to give just the brand name, as most manufacturers use
different chipsets in different models (and sometimes even in the *same*
model). You need to give the exact model for the info to be useful.

poc

Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM
"Waleed Harbi"

I told him about it, thanks for your comment.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 17:19 +0300, Waleed Harbi wrote:
> I told him about it, thanks for your comment.

Who do you mean by "him"? If you mean the OP, the usual practice is to
send the info to the list, or is it a secret? The list is archived and
other people might find the info useful in the future.

poc

Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 AM
"Waleed Harbi"

It is not a secrt، Quickcam my webcam.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:27 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:34:42 +0300, Waleed Harbi wrote:

> I have Logitech webcam and it is working fine on linux also in Skype. I
> advice you to buy it.
>
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Bart van Kuik <bart@vankuik.nl> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a good compatible webcam for my Fedora 8 laptop.
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions for a good plug-and-play webcam?
>>
>> I also want to use video chat software where the other end can run
>> Windows. Any suggestions for that? Skype 2.0? Others?
>>
>> My main priority is getting something working and I'm willing to mix
>> non-free software and/or somewhat more expensive webcam hardware.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bart
>>
>> --

> Yours,
> Waleed Harbi
> If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep I have Logitech webcam
> and it is working fine on linux also in Skype. I advice you to buy
> van Kuik &lt;<a href="mailto:bart@vankuik.nl">bart@vankuik.nl</a>&gt;
> wrote:<br> <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid
> rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
> 1ex;">I'm looking for a good compatible webcam for my Fedora 8
> laptop.<br> <br>
> Does anyone have suggestions for a good plug-and-play webcam?<br> <br>
> I also want to use video chat software where the other end can run
> Windows. Any suggestions for that? Skype 2.0? Others?<br> <br>
> My main priority is getting something working and I'm willing to mix
> non-free software and/or somewhat more expensive webcam hardware.<br>
> Thanks,<br>
> Bart<br><font color="#888888">
> -- <br>
> fedora-list mailing list<br>
a><br>

> Harbi<br>If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep

You're using it with skype? Exactly what version of Skype does video
streaming? I just installed 2.0.0.68-fc5.i586 as this seems to be the
latest, but I don't have any webcam button to do video. And if I do a
skype test call it says I'm having problems with the sound. Which version
are you using, and how do you do video streaming? The sound I assume has
to do with pulse audio. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 AM
"Waleed Harbi"

I intalled latest skype، and you need instal UVC webcam driver