Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Ed Greshko

Default Need help USB modem

On 02/28/2012 03:27 PM, Roger wrote:
> A friend of my daughter has converted from windows to Linux just
> yesterday but has a Sierra Aircard 312U wireless USB modem and cannot
> get internet on the laptop.
> I've spoent hours googling to no avail. Search shows that this modem
> is useless for Linux so can someone please tell me which wireless usb
> modems work best on all linux flavours, easy to set up, etc.
> There's got to be something but I haven't had any luck finding
> information.
> If this change is successful there could follow at least 3 others so I
> really need help here please.
> Cheers and thanks in advance

Quick question about the device....

What does it show up as when you plug it in and type lsusb?

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis

Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Roger

On 02/28/2012 07:00 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

On 02/28/2012 03:27 PM, Roger wrote:

A friend of my daughter has converted from windows to Linux just
yesterday but has a Sierra Aircard 312U wireless USB modem and cannot
get internet on the laptop.
I've spoent hours googling to no avail. Search shows that this modem
is useless for Linux so can someone please tell me which wireless usb
modems work best on all linux flavours, easy to set up, etc.
There's got to be something but I haven't had any luck finding
information.
If this change is successful there could follow at least 3 others so I
really need help here please.
Cheers and thanks in advance

Quick question about the device....

What does it show up as when you plug it in and type lsusb?

I don't know, I'll ask tomorrow
Thanks
Roger

Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Doug Kuvaas

A friend of my daughter has converted from windows to Linux just

yesterday but has a Sierra Aircard 312U wireless USB modem and cannot

get internet on the laptop.

I've spoent hours googling to no avail. Search shows that this modem

is useless for Linux so can someone please tell me which wireless usb

modems work best on all linux flavours, easy to set up, etc.

There's got to be something but I haven't had any luck finding

information.

If this change is successful there could follow at least 3 others so I

really need help here please.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Quick question about the device....

What does it show up as when you plug it in and type lsusb?

I don't know, I'll ask tomorrow

Thanks

Roger

Just out of curiosity, would switching to a wireless router that is compatible with the air card, such as the Cradlepoint MBR900 be a viable option? *
I have never tried using a USB modem under linux, but I have used my phone as a modem before. *Every time I have done this it has been as simple as setting up the modem dialer (KPPP) to dial #777 using the USB modem (phone) as a modem. *I haven't tried with my most recent phone though.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Terry Polzin

Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Roger

[...]

No options available, this is a secondary student's laptop, it must
work at school and after hours. The student lives in the Boarding
rooms at school, goes home only on holidays. At home they have
Bigpond so it seems the student may be stuck with what telstra
provides.

Many of her students want to change to Linux but this stops them in
their tracks. If it can be solved we will have converts to Linux.

Roger

Old 02-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

While these are Ubuntu-specific, they may help:

http://kyliebraindump.blogspot.com/2011/02/telstra-sierra-wireless-312u-aircard.html

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1665650

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Roger

<snip>

Quick question about the device....

What does it show up as when you plug it in and type
lsusb?

I don't know, I'll ask tomorrow

Thanks

Roger

</snip>

Hi Rick, Terry and Doug

Re. the student's laptop my daughter asked about with the Sierra
aircard modem

I asked her to get the student to do a lsusb and the laptop
reports:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0
root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integragted Rate
Matching Hub

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integragted Rate
Matching Hub

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 13d3:5710 IMC Networks

Bus 006 Device 004: ID 0bda:0139 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 007 Device 004: ID 1199:68a3 Sierra Wireless, Inc.

So, apparently it finds the modem.

From my reading it seems that it needs manual
configuration of wvdial.conf

While I understand that Microsoft and Telstra seem to be
in bed together it seems strange that there is no automatic/easy
setup for such a commonplace modem. Pity there is no script
available that any newbie could run and install with minimum of
fuss.

Have to find a way to advise the student, that's way out
of my league.

Thanks

Roger

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Roger

I have the laptop here at home for the weekend and still have trouble
getting the Sierra aircard 312U modem to work.

Following instruction on the Sierra site:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/Support/SupportCenter.aspx

-Have installed the kernel module provided by Sierra for the latest kernel.
-modinfo sierra shows the correct version

-modinfo-sierra_net shows that ist's installed in
/lib/modules/x/x/x/x/x/x/sierra_net.ko

-ls /dev/ttyUSB* shows /dev/ttyUSB0 to3

ifconfig does not show the usb,
it only has etho, lo and wlan0 so now I'm stuck as to where to go from here.

Can someone please advise
thanks in advance
Roger

��j����5�����]z��q��}��k�7����ޖ�^�� h�X���r�z��b���^��� �v׍|ӏ��yǢ����j��}5}��k 7����u�|��Z

Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Antonio Olivares

> the weekend and still have trouble getting the Sierra
> aircard 312U modem to work.
>
> Following instruction on the Sierra site: http://www.sierrawireless.com/Support/SupportCenter.aspx
>
> -Have installed the kernel module provided by Sierra for the
> latest kernel.
> -modinfo sierra shows the correct version
>
> -modinfo-sierra_net shows that ist's installed in
> /lib/modules/x/x/x/x/x/x/sierra_net.ko
>
> -ls /dev/ttyUSB* shows /dev/ttyUSB0 to3
>
> ifconfig does not show the usb,
> it only has etho, lo and wlan0 so now I'm stuck as to where
> to go from here.
>
> Can someone please advise
> thanks in advance
> Roger
>

> -- users mailing list

As a root user,
$ su -
passwd:

do the following:

# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

it will scan for modem port, and hopefully it finds /dev/ttyUSB0 or your true modem port. Edit the file /etc/wvdial.conf as root user and add your username, password and ISP phone number(Your isp that you use to connect), then add a line "Carrier Check = no", "Stupid Mode = yes" to the /etc/wvdial.conf file and save it. Then, as root user do

# wvdial

and it should attempt to connect to the internet with that information that you have input into the wvdial.conf file. If all is well you should see something like CONNECTED and some numbers (nameservers ) add these numbers to /etc/resolv.conf and you should happily browse with your shiny new USB modem. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Doug Kuvaas

I have the laptop here at home for the weekend and still have trouble getting the Sierra aircard 312U modem to work.

Following instruction on the Sierra site: http://www.sierrawireless.com/Support/SupportCenter.aspx

-Have installed the kernel module provided by Sierra for the latest kernel.

-modinfo sierra shows the correct version

-modinfo-sierra_net shows that ist's installed in /lib/modules/x/x/x/x/x/x/sierra_net.ko

-ls /dev/ttyUSB* shows /dev/ttyUSB0 to3

ifconfig does not show the usb,

it only has etho, lo and wlan0 so now I'm stuck as to where to go from here.

Can someone please advise

thanks in advance

Roger

It looks to me like you just need to get the settings figured out to get the modem to connect, and the modem itself is already working. *Like I mentioned previously, every time I've used my phone as a modem, I just use a dialer like KPPP and dial #777 as the access number. *I use Sprint though, so the settings that you would use are probably different.

This page here may be of some assistance: *http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=897808

It looks like Telstra uses *99# as its access number and telstra.internet as its apn which some networks require. *
What version of Fedora/Linux are you running? *I have a Fedora 15 box here with a HUWEI modem (no sim card though), and it seems pretty straight-forward to get it to connect. *In Network Connections, there is a Mobile Broadband tab. *If you click Add, it launches a wizard to add a new connection. *It will first ask you which modem/connection device to use, the next screen will prompt you for the region, the next screen will prompt you for a carrier, or you can enter one manually. *The final screen shows you all 3 selections that you just made. *When you click apply, it will prompt you to enter a connection name, and update the Number, username, and password.

When you have that done, you just select the connection from Network Manager to connect. *With the hardware I have on hand here, I can see that the modem is attempting to connect to the network, but as I don't have a SIM card in this modem (it is for international travel), it doesn't actually connect.

I hope this is helpful.