FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Da Rock
 
Default DDNS and fedora

I have a networking question for you guys, which would be easy for me to
fix anywhere but on Fedora. And I'd also like to avoid a debate... NM
just doesn't cut atm unless this backend scripting gets worked out.

I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to have the hostname
sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run manually the
forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.

I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but I doubt very
much that it is being read as I have made changes there to no effect. I
believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the hostname
settings getting overridden or something.

I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust dhclient.conf,
or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings everywhere (not
simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.

Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing? BTW I'm
testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the problem.

Cheers

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Tim
 
Default DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to have the hostname
> sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run manually the
> forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.
>
> I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but I doubt very
> much that it is being read as I have made changes there to no effect. I
> believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the hostname
> settings getting overridden or something.
>
> I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust dhclient.conf,
> or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings everywhere (not
> simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.
>
> Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing? BTW I'm
> testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the problem.

Which version of Fedora are you using? I'm guessing 8, but that's only
a guess. It may affect the answers you'll get.

Post your dhclient.conf file, so people can see what you've done.

Tell us more about your DHCP server, too. Versions, configuration
details, etc.

I'm not using FC8, but I do use dynamic DNS tied in with my DHCP server,
clients get assigned addresses, their names get entered into the local
DNS, and I haven't had to customise their dhclient.conf files for it.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Da Rock
 
Default DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:37 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to have the hostname
> > sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run manually the
> > forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.
> >
> > I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but I doubt very
> > much that it is being read as I have made changes there to no effect. I
> > believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the hostname
> > settings getting overridden or something.
> >
> > I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust dhclient.conf,
> > or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings everywhere (not
> > simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.
> >
> > Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing? BTW I'm
> > testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the problem.
>
> Which version of Fedora are you using? I'm guessing 8, but that's only
> a guess. It may affect the answers you'll get.
>
> Post your dhclient.conf file, so people can see what you've done.
>
> Tell us more about your DHCP server, too. Versions, configuration
> details, etc.
>
> I'm not using FC8, but I do use dynamic DNS tied in with my DHCP server,
> clients get assigned addresses, their names get entered into the local
> DNS, and I haven't had to customise their dhclient.conf files for it.

My clients send their own hostnames (there is a reason for this).
According to all information available on the matter the dhclient.conf
is where you need to set the dhclient -H option for automation. And I
have tested this option manually and it works. So what do I have to hack
to stop the stupid scripting from overriding this? Even the scripting
information says to customise the conf file... but this doesn't work.

Apparently the networking hasn't changed much since FC4, but if it
matters I'm running 8.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 AM
"Waleed Harbi"
 
Default DDNS and fedora

Hi Da Rock,

It will much better if you draw your network diagram or explain it because some network devices support DDNS suck as Linksys, I have found this links explain how to configure DDNS on FC4 it should be same:


http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora_dynamic_dns
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/dynamic-dns-setup-for-either-fedora-core-client-584754/

http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/HowTo_Configure_DHCP_and_DNS_Servers

I hope they are useful...


On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au> wrote:



On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:37 +1030, Tim wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> > I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to have the hostname

> > sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run manually the

> > forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.

> >

> > I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but I doubt very

> > much that it is being read as I have made changes there to no effect. I

> > believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the hostname

> > settings getting overridden or something.

> >

> > I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust dhclient.conf,

> > or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings everywhere (not

> > simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.

> >

> > Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing? BTW I'm

> > testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the problem.

>

> Which version of Fedora are you using? *I'm guessing 8, but that's only

> a guess. *It may affect the answers you'll get.

>

> Post your dhclient.conf file, so people can see what you've done.

>

> Tell us more about your DHCP server, too. *Versions, configuration

> details, etc.

>

> I'm not using FC8, but I do use dynamic DNS tied in with my DHCP server,

> clients get assigned addresses, their names get entered into the local

> DNS, and I haven't had to customise their dhclient.conf files for it.



My clients send their own hostnames (there is a reason for this).

According to all information available on the matter the dhclient.conf

is where you need to set the dhclient -H option for automation. And I

have tested this option manually and it works. So what do I have to hack

to stop the stupid scripting from overriding this? Even the scripting

information says to customise the conf file... but this doesn't work.



Apparently the networking hasn't changed much since FC4, but if it

matters I'm running 8.



--

fedora-list mailing list

fedora-list@redhat.com

To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list



--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yours,
Waleed Harbi
If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Tim
 
Default DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 17:06 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> My clients send their own hostnames (there is a reason for this).

Mine do, but they do so already without me having to do anything. This
is on a private LAN where I handle all the hardware, so I do let the
clients tell the DHCP server what name to use.

The clients have a hostname set.
When they boot up, they look for a DHCP server to give them an IP.
The DHCP server gives them an IP, and acts as a go-between telling the
DNS server the client's hostname and IP address.

> According to all information available on the matter the dhclient.conf
> is where you need to set the dhclient -H option for automation. And I
> have tested this option manually and it works. So what do I have to
> hack to stop the stupid scripting from overriding this? Even the
> scripting information says to customise the conf file... but this
> doesn't work.
>
> Apparently the networking hasn't changed much since FC4, but if it
> matters I'm running 8.

I'll say it again, post your DHCP configuration files (server and
client).

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Da Rock
 
Default DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 11:15 +0300, Waleed Harbi wrote:
> Hi Da Rock,
>
> It will much better if you draw your network diagram or explain it
> because some network devices support DDNS suck as Linksys, I have
> found this links explain how to configure DDNS on FC4 it should be
> same:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora_dynamic_dns
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/dynamic-dns-setup-for-either-fedora-core-client-584754/
> http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/HowTo_Configure_DHCP_and_DNS_Servers
>
> I hope they are useful...
>
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Da Rock
> <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:37 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > > I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to
> have the hostname
> > > sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run
> manually the
> > > forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.
> > >
> > > I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but
> I doubt very
> > > much that it is being read as I have made changes there to
> no effect. I
> > > believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the
> hostname
> > > settings getting overridden or something.
> > >
> > > I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust
> dhclient.conf,
> > > or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings
> everywhere (not
> > > simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.
> > >
> > > Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing?
> BTW I'm
> > > testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the
> problem.
> >
> > Which version of Fedora are you using? I'm guessing 8, but
> that's only
> > a guess. It may affect the answers you'll get.
> >
> > Post your dhclient.conf file, so people can see what you've
> done.
> >
> > Tell us more about your DHCP server, too. Versions,
> configuration
> > details, etc.
> >
> > I'm not using FC8, but I do use dynamic DNS tied in with my
> DHCP server,
> > clients get assigned addresses, their names get entered into
> the local
> > DNS, and I haven't had to customise their dhclient.conf
> files for it.
>
>
> My clients send their own hostnames (there is a reason for
> this).
> According to all information available on the matter the
> dhclient.conf
> is where you need to set the dhclient -H option for
> automation. And I
> have tested this option manually and it works. So what do I
> have to hack
> to stop the stupid scripting from overriding this? Even the
> scripting
> information says to customise the conf file... but this
> doesn't work.
>
> Apparently the networking hasn't changed much since FC4, but
> if it
> matters I'm running 8.

I'd really rather not have to put up all my config for security reasons.
Especially considering that by running the dhclient manually actually
works (-H AND -cf). The problem exists in the enormous complexity of
network scripts that Fedora uses. It simply refuses to read the
dhclient.conf- so why would that be?


>

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Tim
 
Default DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 18:42 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> I'd really rather not have to put up all my config for security
> reasons.

So, change some of the personal details...

> Especially considering that by running the dhclient manually actually
> works (-H AND -cf). The problem exists in the enormous complexity of
> network scripts that Fedora uses. It simply refuses to read the
> dhclient.conf- so why would that be?

The problem may well be that you're not writing the configuration files
properly, but we can't tell.

Also, tell us whether you're using "network" and/or "NetworkManager"
services.

I've attached the dhcpd.conf file from my server. It's full of
experiments, you don't need most of the stuff that's in it. But it
works for me, in the manner that I expect it to.

NB: "example.com" is a domain name reserved for using in example
documentation (so you don't cause problems with other people's
networks).

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.
authoritative;
allow client-updates;
include "/etc/rndc.key"; # (same key used by BIND, needed to update DNS records)

default-lease-time 604800; # 7 days (was set at 2 hours)
max-lease-time 1209600; # 14 days (was set at 24 hours)
min-lease-time 30; # 30 seconds (might allow renewing experiments)

server-name "giggles";

#local-address 192.168.1.2;

ddns-domainname "lan.example.com.";
ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa.";
ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-updates on;

option domain-name "lan.example.com.";

option nntp-server news.lan.example.com;
option pop-server pop3.lan.example.com;
option smtp-server smtp.lan.example.com;
option wpad-curl code 252 = text;
#option wpad-curl "http://proxy.lan.example.com/wpad.dat";
option www-server www.lan.example.com;

option ntp-servers time.lan.example.com;
# option time-offset 34200; # Australian Central Standard Time
option time-offset 37800; # Central Australia Daylight Time
# Seem to be stupidly stuck with manually setting this!
# Daylight savings: 2am last Sun of Oct - 3am first Sun of Apr

option ip-forwarding off; # tell clients not to act as gateways (?)

shared-network lan.example.com {

option wpad-curl "http://proxy.lan.example.com/wpad.dat";

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.200;

option routers 192.168.1.254; # default gateway
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.2;

option netbios-dd-server 192.168.1.2;
option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.2; # WINS
option netbios-node-type 8;
option netbios-scope "";

option finger-server finger.lan.example.com;

zone lan.example.com. {
primary 192.168.1.2;
key rndckey;
}

zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
primary 192.168.1.2;
key rndckey;
}

# we want the nameserver to appear at a fixed address
# (Any terminal saying it's "ns" or ns.lan.example.com will
# be assigned this IP.)

host ns {
fixed-address 192.168.1.2;
}

host fixed {
fixed-address 192.168.1.99;
}

host fixme {
fixed-address 192.168.1.150;
}


host suspishus {
hardware ethernet 00:1A:928:F2:79;
fixed-address 192.168.1.22;
option host-name "suspishus";
}


# host flakey {
# hardware ethernet 00:00:21:25:92:fb;
# fixed-address 192.168.1.180;
# option host-name "deadmeat";
# update-static-leases on;
# }
#
host rover {
hardware ethernet 00:48:54:8e:8c:0c;
fixed-address 192.168.1.9;
set ddns-rev-name = "9.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.";
# fixed-address rover.lan.example.com;
option host-name "rover";
}

}

}

# ------------------ end of it all ---------------------------------------
# see http://www.arda.homeunix.net/dnssetup.shtml for some additional help

# removed while tidying:
#
# option nis-domain "localdomain.";
# probably not needed, as don't use NIS
#
# range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.30;
# not using bootp
#
# next-server ns.lan.example.com;
# server where boot files are fetched from (network clients)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
"Waleed Harbi"
 
Default DDNS and fedora

I agreed with Tim, when you share with use useful information we may can help you and solve the problem.

2008/4/4 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>:

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 18:42 +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> I'd really rather not have to put up all my config for security

> reasons.



So, change some of the personal details...



> Especially considering that by running the dhclient manually actually

> works (-H AND -cf). The problem exists in the enormous complexity of

> network scripts that Fedora uses. It simply refuses to read the

> dhclient.conf- so why would that be?



The problem may well be that you're not writing the configuration files

properly, but we can't tell.



Also, tell us whether you're using "network" and/or "NetworkManager"

services.



I've attached the dhcpd.conf file from my server. *It's full of

experiments, you don't need most of the stuff that's in it. *But it

works for me, in the manner that I expect it to.



NB: *"example.com" is a domain name reserved for using in example

documentation (so you don't cause problems with other people's

networks).



--

(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's

*important to the thread.)



Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.

I read messages from the public lists.


--

fedora-list mailing list

fedora-list@redhat.com

To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


--
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yours,
Waleed Harbi
If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> I have a networking question for you guys, which would be easy for me to
> fix anywhere but on Fedora. And I'd also like to avoid a debate... NM
> just doesn't cut atm unless this backend scripting gets worked out.
>
> I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to have the hostname
> sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run manually the
> forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.
>
> I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but I doubt very
> much that it is being read as I have made changes there to no effect. I
> believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the hostname
> settings getting overridden or something.
>
> I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust dhclient.conf,
> or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings everywhere (not
> simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.
>
> Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing? BTW I'm
> testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the problem.
>
> Cheers
>
Check here:
http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ
================================================== =====================
Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you,
and just before you realize what is wrong with it.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Da Rock
 
Default DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 08:27 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > I have a networking question for you guys, which would be easy for me to
> > fix anywhere but on Fedora. And I'd also like to avoid a debate... NM
> > just doesn't cut atm unless this backend scripting gets worked out.
> >
> > I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to have the hostname
> > sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run manually the
> > forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.
> >
> > I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but I doubt very
> > much that it is being read as I have made changes there to no effect. I
> > believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the hostname
> > settings getting overridden or something.
> >
> > I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust dhclient.conf,
> > or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings everywhere (not
> > simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.
> >
> > Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing? BTW I'm
> > testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the problem.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> Check here:
> http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ

Thanks for that. Actually it didn't have exactly what I was looking for,
but it got me looking in the right place- here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/NetworkManager#Gnome_Specifics

didn't actually narrow it down, but I have 2 copies of dhclient.conf in
either etc, or etc/dhcp. And send-hostname has to use quotes " ".
Stupidly, dhclient-xxx.conf does bugger all. Which is what confused the
issue- reading the actually scripting makes you think they might
actually do something.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org