Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Ric Moore

Default Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down inflames

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 13:04 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> The teletype was also popular with early home computers like the
> Altar 8008, and other S-100 systems. CP/M had teletype support.
>
> Now I feel old - I owned a model 33 teletype.

I had a Teletype 43 hooked up to my Apple][. Plus, I had collected what
I dimly recall as a Teletype 17 (?) It had a big round hood and the
connectors looked like old timey round telephone plugs. Heavy as lead. I
wish I had kept them!
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 08:40 -0700, bruce wrote:
> as an aside...
>
> the issue of recalling how to read/write to old data formats is only
> going to get harrier as we all go forth!!
>
> remembering how to read something from a data format that's 20 years
> old ain't going to get any easier!

Yes, though this brings up a point where paper has a huge advantage.
You can read paper cards and tape without the original reading hardware,
if you have to. Try doing that with an obsolete magnetic or optical
media!

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.