Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 AM
"Igor Sobinov"

Default anaconda destroy my md devices

Hello
I created a md device:
#*mdadm -Cv

/dev/md0 -l 0 -n 1 /dev/sdb1 --metadata=0.90 --force
after it I launch

anaconda
# PYTHONPATH=iw:isys:iutil ./anaconda
and after I press next on

"What type of devices will you installation involve" my md0 device disappears (

Why?

Regards, Igor

Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
David Lehman

On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 12:45 +0400, Igor Sobinov wrote:

> Hello
> I created a md device:
> # mdadm -Cv /dev/md0 -l 0 -n 1 /dev/sdb1 --metadata=0.90 --force
> after it I launch anaconda
> # PYTHONPATH=iw:isys:iutil ./anaconda
> and after I press next on "What type of devices will you installation
> involve" my md0 device disappears ( Why?

Nothing is destroyed. Your device was deactivated.

Anaconda was not designed to be run as root on an already-installed
system. It is an OS installer, meant to be run under specific
conditions.

What exactly do you hope to achieve by running anaconda on your
already-installed system?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
"Igor Sobinov"

*So, I need to install RHEL on degradated RAID1.

When I try to create a degradated RAID1 using anaconda, it says that impossible

to create raid1 from only one disk. so, I run RHEL installation, wait until

anaconda welcome screen appears, and press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to shell. In that

shell (that is analog of kikcstartpreinstall) I create a degradated RAID1, but

then I come to partitiong anaconda window, I can't found my RAID1 device. so,

why?
*My idea is to change anaconda source, create RHEL dvd disk and

create all that I need using kickstart. Am I clear?

Regards,

Igor

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

dlehman@redhat.com
>> > # mdadm -Cv /dev/md0 -l 0 -n 1 /dev/sdb1

--metadata=0.90 --force
>> > after it I launch anaconda
>>

> # PYTHONPATH=iw:isys:iutil ./anaconda
>> > and after I press

next on "What type of devices will you installation
>> > involve" my

md0 device disappears ( Why?

Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
David Lehman

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 19:49 +0400, Igor Sobinov wrote:
> So, I need to install RHEL on degradated RAID1. When I try to create
> a degradated RAID1 using anaconda, it says that impossible to create
> raid1 from only one disk. so, I run RHEL installation, wait until
> anaconda welcome screen appears, and press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to shell.
> In that shell (that is analog of kikcstartpreinstall) I create a
> degradated RAID1, but then I come to partitiong anaconda window, I
> can't found my RAID1 device. so, why?

You cannot run anaconda as if it were a normal application in RHEL. You
must test your work in a real install environment (booting from RHEL
install media) using an updates image[1] to apply your changes. KVM is
very handy for this.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates

Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 19:49:55 +0400,
Igor Sobinov <sluge@mail.ru> wrote:
> So, I need to install RHEL on degradated RAID1. When I try to create a degradated RAID1 using anaconda, it says that impossible to create raid1 from only one disk. so, I run RHEL installation, wait until anaconda welcome screen appears, and press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to shell. In that shell (that is analog of kikcstartpreinstall) I create a degradated RAID1, but then I come to partitiong anaconda window, I can't found my RAID1 device. so, why?
> My idea is to change anaconda source, create RHEL dvd disk and create all that I need using kickstart. Am I clear?

Note that you can change a RAID 1 array to only have 1 device and it won't
show as degraded. You can't build these with anaconda, but my memory is
that you can install to one that is already set up.

Note that you need to use the -f option on mdadm when setting the number of
devices to one.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
"Igor Sobinov"

I can't run anaconda as a normal RHES app? But what

about* a launch from liveCD?)
I didn't catch what is the patch. I

unpack anaconda sources and change them. So, is I need to create a patch from

it, boot from cdrom and give the patch to anaconda? Is anaconda replace existing

instance with my patch one? Am I right?

Regards, Igor

~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mon, 2012-02-27 at 19:49 +0400, Igor Sobinov wrote:
>> > So, I need

to install RHEL on degradated RAID1. When I try to create

degradated RAID1 using anaconda, it says that impossible to create

> raid1 from only one disk. so, I run RHEL installation, wait

until
>> > anaconda welcome screen appears, and press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to

go to shell.
>> > In that shell (that is analog of

kikcstartpreinstall) I create a
>> > degradated RAID1, but then I

come to partitiong anaconda window, I
>> > can't found my RAID1

device. so, why?

~

sluge@mail.ru
>> > Date: 18:28:56, 02.27.2012

>> > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

wrote:

Hello

>> > # mdadm -Cv /dev/md0 -l 0 -n 1 /dev/sdb1 --metadata=0.90

--force

>> > and after I press next on "What type of devices will

you
>> > installation

device disappears ( Why?

Nothing is destroyed. Your device was deactivated.

already-installed

to be run under specific

running anaconda on your

system?

Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com

Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com

Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com

Mon, 2012-02-27 at 19:49 +0400, Igor Sobinov wrote:
>> > So, I need

to install RHEL on degradated RAID1. When I try to create

degradated RAID1 using anaconda, it says that impossible to create

> raid1 from only one disk. so, I run RHEL installation, wait

until
>> > anaconda welcome screen appears, and press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to

go to shell.
>> > In that shell (that is analog of

kikcstartpreinstall) I create a
>> > degradated RAID1, but then I

come to partitiong anaconda window, I
>> > can't found my RAID1

device. so, why?

~

sluge@mail.ru
>> > Date: 18:28:56, 02.27.2012

>> > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

wrote:

Hello

>> > # mdadm -Cv /dev/md0 -l 0 -n 1 /dev/sdb1 --metadata=0.90

--force

>> > and after I press next on "What type of devices will

you
>> > installation

device disappears ( Why?

Nothing is destroyed. Your device was deactivated.

already-installed

to be run under specific

running anaconda on your

system?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
David Lehman

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 21:52 +0400, Igor Sobinov wrote:

> I can't run anaconda as a normal RHES app? But what about a launch
> from liveCD?)

livecd is not supported in rhel6 AFAIK. In Fedora it uses a wrapper
script, and don't forget that a livecd is not going to be affected when
anaconda starts re-partitioning the system's disks whereas your running
rhel system will.

> I didn't catch what is the patch. I unpack anaconda sources and change
> them. So, is I need to create a patch from it, boot from cdrom and
> give the patch to anaconda? Is anaconda replace existing instance with
> my patch one? Am I right?

1) get the anaconda sources from git:

git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/anaconda.git

2) check out the rhel6-branch:

git checkout rhel6-branch

3) start with the version of anaconda that matches that of your
install media:

git reset --hard anaconda-13.21.149-1

(the version above may not match your media. check it.)

4) make your changes in the tree
5) create an updates image based on the current working tree:

./scripts/makeupdates

6) copy the updates image somewhere you can get to it via http

(the image will have the filename "updates.img")

7) specify on the anaconda boot command line that you have an
updates image:

updates=http://myserver/path/to/my/updates.img

Repeat steps 4-7 as needed.