Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
R Logeshwaran

Default Installing GCC-4.3.0 in Fedora 16

Hi I'm a research scholar doing my research in networking for that i use NS-2 package (ns-allinone-2.29). it will work good in Fedora-9 which uses GCC-4.3.
My system is a new one it is not possible for me to install Fedora-9. So i have installed Fedora 16, but now NS.2.29 is not working in fedora 16 since the GCC compiler is 4.6.

so i need a solution to downgrade gcc to 4.3.0 version. else solution to run NS2.29 in fedora16
please help me...thanking you
--
Be Awesome like
Logesh

Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 17:05:54 +0530,
R Logeshwaran <logesh.ieee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I'm a research scholar doing my research in networking for that i use
> NS-2 package (ns-allinone-2.29). it will work good in Fedora-9 which uses
> GCC-4.3.
> My system is a new one it is not possible for me to install Fedora-9. So i
> have installed Fedora 16, but now NS.2.29 is not working in fedora 16 since
> the GCC compiler is 4.6.
> so i need a solution to downgrade gcc to 4.3.0 version. else solution to
> run NS2.29 in fedora16
> please help me...
> thanking you

Wouldn't it make more sense to fix ns-allinone to build with more recent
versions of gcc?

Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Armelius Cameron

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 06:35:54 am R Logeshwaran wrote:
> Hi I'm a research scholar doing my research in networking for that i use
> NS-2 package (ns-allinone-2.29). it will work good in Fedora-9 which uses
> GCC-4.3.
> My system is a new one it is not possible for me to install Fedora-9. So i
> have installed Fedora 16, but now NS.2.29 is not working in fedora 16 since
> the GCC compiler is 4.6.
> so i need a solution to downgrade gcc to 4.3.0 version. else solution to
> run NS2.29 in fedora16
> please help me...
> thanking you

Other than fixing NS2.29 (which may be beyond the scope of your work), you can
either download the source of GCC-4.3, build, and install it yourself on the
system, or download a binary of 4.3 from GCC website for the one that match
your system if they have it.

AC

Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 17:05 +0530, R Logeshwaran wrote:
> Hi I'm a research scholar doing my research in networking for that i use
> NS-2 package (ns-allinone-2.29). it will work good in Fedora-9 which uses
> GCC-4.3.
> My system is a new one it is not possible for me to install Fedora-9. So i
> have installed Fedora 16, but now NS.2.29 is not working in fedora 16 since
> the GCC compiler is 4.6.
> so i need a solution to downgrade gcc to 4.3.0 version. else solution to
> run NS2.29 in fedora16
> please help me...
> thanking you

I think your best bet for gcc is to get the tarball directly from the
GNU project and install in /usr/local. I have done this before and it
works well enough. IIRC, the instructions for building from source are
clear enough.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences

Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:05:54 +0530
R Logeshwaran <logesh.ieee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I'm a research scholar doing my research in networking for that i
> use NS-2 package (ns-allinone-2.29). it will work good in Fedora-9
> which uses GCC-4.3.
> My system is a new one it is not possible for me to install Fedora-9.
> So i have installed Fedora 16, but now NS.2.29 is not working in
> fedora 16 since the GCC compiler is 4.6.
> so i need a solution to downgrade gcc to 4.3.0 version. else solution
> to run NS2.29 in fedora16
> please help me...
> thanking you

A google for ns-allinone + "fedora 16" got 8500 hits.
-- cmg

Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
James Wilkinson

R Logeshwaran wrote:
> Hi I'm a research scholar doing my research in networking for that i use
> NS-2 package (ns-allinone-2.29). it will work good in Fedora-9 which uses
> GCC-4.3.
> My system is a new one it is not possible for me to install Fedora-9. So i
> have installed Fedora 16, but now NS.2.29 is not working in fedora 16 since
> the GCC compiler is 4.6.
> so i need a solution to downgrade gcc to 4.3.0 version. else solution to
> run NS2.29 in fedora16
> please help me...

You’ve had some good suggestions: one other would be to install Fedora 9
or a RHEL 5 rebuild (such as Centos 5) in a virtual machine, and see if
that works.

Another would be to use the compat-gcc package.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | "Land Rover say it is permanent, I say I have a large
aprilcottage.co.uk | selection of spanners and a big hammer..."