Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
max

Default Bumping Live CD install to regular install after installation?

Arch Willingham wrote:

Is there any way to run a script that will bump an installation created by a live CD up to a standard installation? If that is confusing, here is what I want to be able to do.

1. Boot to a Live CD
2. Tell it to install to the hard disk and then reboot to the new hard drive installation.

This is what the Live cd normally does if you hit install on th desktop.

3. After it boots, a very limited version of the installation is there. I would like to then be able to tell it to update the new installation so that it has the same basic packages as a standard installation.

Its a fully functional desktop. I don't really understand what you mean
by a standard install....usually live cd's come in KDE or GNome flavors
so only the set of packages for that desktop is included. You can go to
add/remove software and add the other desktop environment if you like as
well as anything else in the repos. You could during install add the
repos too though I have never had much luck with that myself, on top of
which it takes longer to finish the installation anyway because your
downloading more packages.

Max

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 17:40 -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:
> Is there any way to run a script that will bump an installation created by a live CD up to a standard installation? If that is confusing, here is what I want to be able to do.
>
> 1. Boot to a Live CD
> 2. Tell it to install to the hard disk and then reboot to the new hard drive installation.
> 3. After it boots, a very limited version of the installation is there. I would like to then be able to tell it to update the new installation so that it has the same basic packages as a standard installation.
>
> I started to do the "yum groupinstall Base", "yum groupinstall xxx", etc but it looks like that are fifty bazillion groups and, they seem to install a ton of packages you don't need. Is there an easy way to do this (I know...someone will say "Just do a standard installation" but I'm stymied there for a variety of reasons that no one here would probably find interesting)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arch

See if you like the: Applications->Add/Remove Software better