Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Arch Willingham

Default Bumping Live CD install to regular install after installation?

Is there any way to run a script that will bump an installation created by a live CD up to a standard installation? If that is confusing, here is what I want to be able to do.

1. Boot to a Live CD
2. Tell it to install to the hard disk and then reboot to the new hard drive installation.
3. After it boots, a very limited version of the installation is there. I would like to then be able to tell it to update the new installation so that it has the same basic packages as a standard installation.

I started to do the "yum groupinstall Base", "yum groupinstall xxx", etc but it looks like that are fifty bazillion groups and, they seem to install a ton of packages you don't need. Is there an easy way to do this (I know...someone will say "Just do a standard installation" but I'm stymied there for a variety of reasons that no one here would probably find interesting)?

Thanks,

Arch

Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 17:40 -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:
> Is there any way to run a script that will bump an installation created by a live CD up to a standard installation? If that is confusing, here is what I want to be able to do.
>
> 1. Boot to a Live CD
> 2. Tell it to install to the hard disk and then reboot to the new hard drive installation.
> 3. After it boots, a very limited version of the installation is there. I would like to then be able to tell it to update the new installation so that it has the same basic packages as a standard installation.

What's a "standard installation"?

> I started to do the "yum groupinstall Base", "yum groupinstall xxx", etc but it looks like that are fifty bazillion groups and, they seem to install a ton of packages you don't need. Is there an easy way to do this (I know...someone will say "Just do a standard installation" but I'm stymied there for a variety of reasons that no one here would probably find interesting)?

You could check some machine with a "standard installation" and look at
its /root/install.log for ideas on what to install.

poc