FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

this is an up to date F-16/64 bit computer. I reported last week
that my trusty HP 5370 scanner didn't work, finally concluding
that it must have met it's end. Today I received a new Canon
LIDE 110 which according to a Sane list I found is supposed to
work. It does not, lsusb shows:

[bobg@box6 ~]$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04a9:1909 Canon, Inc. CanoScan LiDE 110
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse
(4-button)

Fedora still reports "no devices available" the same as with the
HP 5370. I suppose that it's possible that the required driver
is not included in Fedora-16 but I don't know how to determine
what is, at least I haven't yet.

This is one of those things that usually just works and now it's
becoming a science project! Am I the only one with this problem.
I have two F-16/64 computers and both respond the same way.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

On 02/23/2012 12:09 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

I suppose that it's possible that the required driver
is not included in Fedora-16 but I don't know how to determine
what is, at least I haven't yet.


You probably want to check the Linux hardware compatibility lists at
http://www.linux-drivers.org/ because if you need a special driver,
there's probably a link to it.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:09:25 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:

>
>
> this is an up to date F-16/64 bit computer. I reported last week
> that my trusty HP 5370 scanner didn't work, finally concluding
> that it must have met it's end. Today I received a new Canon
> LIDE 110 which according to a Sane list I found is supposed to
> work. It does not, lsusb shows:

The Canon LIDE 110 is a scanner that does work with F-16 x86_64.

> Help would be greatly appreciated.

Anything suspicious in /var/log/message about the scanner?
What do you get for "rpm -qa *sane*"?

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.23 0.19 0.18
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

On 23/02/12 16:35, Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:09:25 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:



this is an up to date F-16/64 bit computer. I reported last week
that my trusty HP 5370 scanner didn't work, finally concluding
that it must have met it's end. Today I received a new Canon
LIDE 110 which according to a Sane list I found is supposed to
work. It does not, lsusb shows:

The Canon LIDE 110 is a scanner that does work with F-16 x86_64.


Help would be greatly appreciated.

Anything suspicious in /var/log/message about the scanner?
What do you get for "rpm -qa *sane*"?



Yes, I consulted a compatibility list and based the selection of the
Canon on that. There's little doubt the HP will still work too once
we find the cause of the problem. The HP has a separate power supply
[wall wart]. I was surprised to see that the canon depends on USB
for power, I didn't realize that when I ordered it but they seem to
think it works.

Nothing here?


[bobg@box6 ~]$ /var/log/message
bash: /var/log/message: No such file or directory

Something here:


[bobg@box6 ~]$ rpm -qa *sane
xsane-0.998-4.fc16.x86_64

I guess that just shows that xsane is there?

Bob

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:13:23 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:

>
> [bobg@box6 ~]$ /var/log/message
> bash: /var/log/message: No such file or directory

It's /var/log/messages sorry for the typo in my earlier reply.
Have you really not taken a look at that file before?

> Something here:
>
>
> [bobg@box6 ~]$ rpm -qa *sane
> xsane-0.998-4.fc16.x86_64
>
> I guess that just shows that xsane is there?

rpm -qa *sane*

is the command I suggested. Alternatively: rpm -qa|grep sane

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.31 0.40 0.39
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org