Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Wade Hampton

Default F16 Live install to 2nd hard disk, grub failure

On a Dell 745 with WinXP on the first disk, we
added a second disk (SATA) and tried installing
Fedora 16 i386 from the live CD to the second disk.
During the install, the boot loader (grub) install was
automatic with no prompts.

After the install, the system still boots into Windows.
Grub was installed on the 2nd disk, but must not
have changed the MBR of the first disk.

Toggling the bootable partition on the first disk did
not fix the problem (no bootable partition was found
when booting).

Anyone have any ideas on this?

For now, I am using the full version of Fedora which
should properly install grub.

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton

Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Greg Woods

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 14:53 -0500, Wade Hampton wrote:
> On a Dell 745 with WinXP on the first disk, we
> added a second disk (SATA) and tried installing
> Fedora 16 i386 from the live CD to the second disk.

If you want the system to boot from the second disk, you probably need
to change the boot device order in the BIOS.

--Greg

Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Greg Woods

Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Wade Hampton

Problem Solved.

Simply had to boot in recovery mode and run
the grub2-install /dev/sda command to
put Grub2 on the first disk.

It should have been automatic in the
hard disk install....