Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
"Dave Burns"

Default how to re-init X for new monitor?

I set up FC8 using one monitor, now want to put it in use with
another. Only the upper left 75% of the new screen gets used. How do I
tell fc8 or X, whichever, "there's a new screen, reinitialize
yourself!"
Dave

Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 11:25 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> I set up FC8 using one monitor, now want to put it in use with
> another. Only the upper left 75% of the new screen gets used. How do I
> tell fc8 or X, whichever, "there's a new screen, reinitialize
> yourself!"
> Dave

system-config-display.

poc

Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 11:25 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> I set up FC8 using one monitor, now want to put it in use with
> another. Only the upper left 75% of the new screen gets used. How do I
> tell fc8 or X, whichever, "there's a new screen, reinitialize
> yourself!"

Here's one way:

1. CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to a command line interface without graphics.
2. Log in as root.
3. Run this command: system-config-display --reconfig
4. Configure your display as desired.
5. CTRL+ALT+F7 to go back to the graphical console.
6. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.