Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
enclair

Default How to keep a particular kernel version?

Hi,

I have these three kernels: 3.1.9, 3.2.5 and 3.2.6
There is a new kernel in -updates (3.2.7).
If I update to the new kernel, yum will want to remove 3.1.9.
Is there a possibility to set up yum to keep the older kernel (3.1.9) and to remove 3.2.5 instead (the middle one)?

(There is the possibility to remove the middle kernel before each updates, but it's not really convenient).

Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM, enclair <wifienclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have these three kernels: 3.1.9, 3.2.5 and 3.2.6
> There is a new kernel in -updates (3.2.7).
> If I update to the new kernel, yum will want to remove 3.1.9.
> Is there a possibility to set up yum to keep the older kernel (3.1.9) and to
> remove 3.2.5 instead (the middle one)?
> (There is the possibility to remove the middle kernel before each updates,
> but it's not really convenient).

You could change the installonly_limit in /etc/yum.conf. If you set
it to 0, yum won't remove any kernels when a new one is installed.
You could then remove unwanted ones manually at your convenience.

-T.C.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM
enclair

Yes I could do that, thank you.
(However, it must be set to "keep" I think, not "0", according to man yum.conf).

Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM, enclair <wifienclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I could do that, thank you.
> (However, it must be set to "keep" I think, not "0", according to man
> yum.conf).

"keep" is a value set in the YUM database. "0" is what you set
installonly_limit to prevent YUM from removing installonly packages.

From the manpage, note the added emphasis:

installonly_limit
Number of packages listed in installonlypkgs to keep installed at the
same time. __Setting to 0 disables this feature.__ Default is '3'.
Note that this functionality used to be in the "installonlyn"
plugin, where this option was altered via. tokeep. Note that as of
version 3.2.24, yum will now __look in the yumdb__ for a installonly
attribute on installed packages. If __that attribute is "keep",__
then they will never be removed.

-T.C.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Frank Murphy

I have these three kernels: 3.1.9, 3.2.5 and 3.2.6
There is a new kernel in -updates (3.2.7).
If I update to the new kernel, yum will want to remove 3.1.9.
Is there a possibility to set up yum to keep the older kernel (3.1.9)

Get a copy of the kernel you want to to keep from
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/ search kernel

Put it some-place safe,
then when yum removes it, you just reinstall it.

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"

Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM
enclair

I was wrong.

Le 23 février 2012 20:20, T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth@gmail.com> a écrit :

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM, enclair <wifienclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I could do that, thank you.

> (However, it must be set to "keep" I think, not "0", according to man

> yum.conf).

"keep" is a value set in the YUM database. *"0" is what you set

installonly_limit to prevent YUM from removing installonly packages.

From the manpage, note the added emphasis:

Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 PM
M A Young

I have these three kernels: 3.1.9, 3.2.5 and 3.2.6
There is a new kernel in -updates (3.2.7).
If I update to the new kernel, yum will want to remove 3.1.9.
Is there a possibility to set up yum to keep the older kernel (3.1.9) and to
remove 3.2.5 instead (the middle one)?
(There is the possibility to remove the middle kernel before each updates,
but it's not really convenient).

You could make sure you are running on the kernel you want to keep as yum
won't remove the running kernel.

Michael Young

Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Dennis Kaptain

Yum is configured to keep 3 kernels. If you remove the middle one 3.2.5 manually, when yum runs it shouldn't remove any kernels since you only have 2. Alternately, you can configure yum to keep more than 3 kernels. But that will take up more disk space unnecessarily.

DK

Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Frank Murphy