Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

Default Making a shared library executable outside the shell

I have built Chromium from source, and currently the only way to start the browser is to execute the shared library file 'chrome' from shell.
I would like to be able to launch it from the normal menu like my other applications, but I do not really know how to do this. Simply creating a symlink in bin breaks dependencies (browser crashes due to inability to load related libraries), and I am not really good enough at shell-work to figure out what else could be done. It is further not possible to launch the file from a normal file browser (system reports that it has no application for handling shared libraries).

Any solution to this?
Thanks in advance!
Best,
Christopher

Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 10:05 +0100, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> I have built Chromium from source, and currently the only way to start
> the browser is to execute the shared library file 'chrome' from shell.
>

> I would like to be able to launch it from the normal menu like my
> other applications, but I do not really know how to do this. Simply
> creating a symlink in bin breaks dependencies (browser crashes due to
> inability to load related libraries), and I am not really good enough
> at shell-work to figure out what else could be done. It is further not
> possible to launch the file from a normal file browser (system reports
> that it has no application for handling shared libraries).
>

> Any solution to this?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Best,
>

> Christopher

I am not sure what "the only way to start the browser is to execute the
shared library file 'chrome' from shell." means exactly but it seems to
me that you could add an application to your upper panel (using ALT key)
that would execute 'chrome' from wherever it is.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have built Chromium from source, and currently the only way to start the
> browser is to execute the shared library file 'chrome' from shell.
>
> I would like to be able to launch it from the normal menu like my other
> applications, but I do not really know how to do this. Simply creating a
> symlink in bin breaks dependencies (browser crashes due to inability to load
> related libraries), and I am not really good enough at shell-work to figure
> out what else could be done. It is further not possible to launch the file
> from a normal file browser (system reports that it has no application for
> handling shared libraries).
>
> Any solution to this?

The Chromium source distribution should contain a shell script to
start Chromium. Google's official builds include this in
/opt/google/chrome and hardlink it to /usr/bin/google-chrome to start
the browser. This is done as part of the build process even for
non-official builds, so it's very strange you don't have it.

You can find the wrapper script in the Chromium source distribution here:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/chrome/tools/build/linux/chrome-wrapper?view=markup

Simply copy it to the main Chrome directory and then hardlink it to /usr/bin.

-T.C.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 08:33 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Christopher Svanefalk
> <christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have built Chromium from source, and currently the only way to start the
> > browser is to execute the shared library file 'chrome' from shell.
> >
> > I would like to be able to launch it from the normal menu like my other
> > applications, but I do not really know how to do this. Simply creating a
> > symlink in bin breaks dependencies (browser crashes due to inability to load
> > related libraries), and I am not really good enough at shell-work to figure
> > out what else could be done. It is further not possible to launch the file
> > from a normal file browser (system reports that it has no application for
> > handling shared libraries).
> >
> > Any solution to this?
>
> The Chromium source distribution should contain a shell script to
> start Chromium. Google's official builds include this in
> /opt/google/chrome and hardlink it to /usr/bin/google-chrome to start
> the browser. This is done as part of the build process even for
> non-official builds, so it's very strange you don't have it.
>
> You can find the wrapper script in the Chromium source distribution here:
> http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/chrome/tools/build/linux/chrome-wrapper?view=markup
>
> Simply copy it to the main Chrome directory and then hardlink it to /usr/bin.

I *think* the OP is asking how to run Chromium from a desktop menu, but
it's hard to be sure. And he doesn't mention which desktop.

poc