Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
"J.T. Blaylock"

Default Fedora 16 Stuck on Welcome Screen

Hey all,
I have a fresh Fedora 16 64 bit KDE install from DVD iso on USB. It boots up to the "Welcome" screen but when I click "Forward" to proceed to the license information screen the button darkens like it's been pressed and just stays like that. The cursor hangs briefly and returns to normal but the button stays "pressed" and nothing happens having waited long enough to try and find a solution on Google (i.e. several minutes). If it matters and I suspect it does I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580. FWIW I had the same problem on GNOME a while ago but gave up.

Like I said this is a fresh installation with no personal data whatsoever so I have no problem trashing it aside from the time it takes to reinstall. I am dual booting with Windows 7 and preferably that install doesn't get involved in the scuffle.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Pete Travis

On Feb 22, 2012 1:19 PM, "J.T. Blaylock" <jblaylock@mymacmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,

> I have a fresh Fedora 16 64 bit KDE install from DVD iso on USB. It boots up to the "Welcome" screen but when I click "Forward" to proceed to the license information screen the button darkens like it's been pressed and just stays like that. The cursor hangs briefly and returns to normal but the button stays "pressed" and nothing happens having waited long enough to try and find a solution on Google (i.e. several minutes). If it matters and I suspect it does I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580. FWIW I had the same problem on GNOME a while ago but gave up.

> Like I said this is a fresh installation with no personal data whatsoever so I have no problem trashing it aside from the time it takes to reinstall. I am dual booting with Windows 7 and preferably that install doesn't get involved in the scuffle.

> Does anyone have any ideas?

> Thanks in advance.

I have a box with a GTX570 and saw something similar.** Nouveau, the free driver for Nvidia cards, isn't quite up to handling the newest cards.

There is a sane way to handle installing the Nvidia proprietary drivers through a third party repository.* A quick search for "yum install kmod-nvidia" should give you a great guide to obtaining them.

Append "systems.unit=multi-user.target" to the linux= line of your grub entry to get a working login, then follow the guide discovered above.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Feb 22, 2012 3:12 PM, "Pete Travis" <lists@petetravis.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2012 1:19 PM, "J.T. Blaylock" <jblaylock@mymacmail.com> wrote:

> > Hey all,

> > I have a fresh Fedora 16 64 bit KDE install from DVD iso on USB. It boots up to the "Welcome" screen but when I click "Forward" to proceed to the license information screen the button darkens like it's been pressed and just stays like that. The cursor hangs briefly and returns to normal but the button stays "pressed" and nothing happens having waited long enough to try and find a solution on Google (i.e. several minutes). If it matters and I suspect it does I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580. FWIW I had the same problem on GNOME a while ago but gave up.

> > Like I said this is a fresh installation with no personal data whatsoever so I have no problem trashing it aside from the time it takes to reinstall. I am dual booting with Windows 7 and preferably that install doesn't get involved in the scuffle.

> > Does anyone have any ideas?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --

> > Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

> > Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

> I have a box with a GTX570 and saw something similar.** Nouveau, the free driver for Nvidia cards, isn't quite up to handling the newest cards.

> There is a sane way to handle installing the Nvidia proprietary drivers through a third party repository.* A quick search for "yum install kmod-nvidia" should give you a great guide to obtaining them.

> Append "systems.unit=multi-user.target" to the linux= line of your grub entry to get a working login, then follow the guide discovered above.

That's "systemd.unit=mult-user.target".* (Slight typo there ;-)

-T.C.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Wednesday 22 February 2012 21:27:51 T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2012 3:12 PM, "Pete Travis" <lists@petetravis.com> wrote:
>
> > Append "systems.unit=multi-user.target" to the linux= line of your grub
>
> That's "systemd.unit=mult-user.target". (Slight typo there ;-)

Oh, let me join the game: "systemd.unit=multi-user.taret". (the "multi-" as
opposed to "mult-"...). Who's next? :-D

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Greg Woods

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 05:28 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Oh, let me join the game: "systemd.unit=multi-user.taret". (the "multi-" as
> opposed to "mult-"...). Who's next? :-D

OK, why not? That's "systemd.unit=multi-user.target" ("target" as
opposed to "taret" :-)

The fact that so many typos are being made shows that this is pretty
clunky syntax.

--Greg

Old 02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Pete Travis

On Feb 23, 2012 7:16 AM, "Greg Woods" <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 05:28 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> > Oh, let me join the game: "systemd.unit=multi-user.taret". (the "multi-" as

> > opposed to "mult-"...). Who's next? :-D

> OK, why not? That's "systemd.unit=multi-user.target" ("target" as

> opposed to "taret" :-)

> The fact that so many typos are being made shows that this is pretty

> clunky syntax.

> --Greg

Or, it shows my poor proofreading and clunky, overeager use of my phone's touch keyboard. Thanks for the correction.

I believe appending "3" still works, but why not offer a more self-descriptive, less depricated option? This is a rhetorical question, let's not hijack the thread.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
"J.T. Blaylock"

> On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 05:28 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> > Oh, let me join the game: "systemd.unit=multi-user.taret". (the "multi-" as

> > opposed to "mult-"...). Who's next? :-D

> OK, why not? That's "systemd.unit=multi-user.target" ("target" as

> opposed to "taret" :-)

> The fact that so many typos are being made shows that this is pretty

> clunky syntax.

> --Greg

Or, it shows my poor proofreading and clunky, overeager use of my phone's touch keyboard. Thanks for the correction.

I believe appending "3" still works, but why not offer a more self-descriptive, less depricated option? This is a rhetorical question, let's not hijack the thread.

It works! Thanks all. I think next time I'll try my hand at adding the repos and getting the drivers during install.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM, J.T. Blaylock <jblaylock@mymacmail.com> wrote:
> It works! Thanks all. I think next time I'll try my hand at adding the repos
> and getting the drivers during install.

There are instructions for doing that here:
http://rpmfusion.org/EnablingRpmFusionDuringFedoraInstall

-T.C.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
"J.T. Blaylock"

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM, J.T. Blaylock <jblaylock@mymacmail.com> wrote:

> It works! Thanks all. I think next time I'll try my hand at adding the repos

> and getting the drivers during install.

There are instructions for doing that here:

http://rpmfusion.org/EnablingRpmFusionDuringFedoraInstall

-T.C.

Thanks. It's nice that my dumb wireless stick is now supported out of the box. It would be nicer if I would go buy a less dumb wireless card, *stares longingly at Intel page* or 802.11ac would get here with Linux drivers. Or if I could live somewhere where I could have a wired gigabit net to all my machines. Wishful thinking I'm sure.