FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Alchemist
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Greg Woods
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 20:19 +0200, Alchemist wrote:
> http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html

That appears to say that the Flash plugin for 64-bit Linux will only be
distributed as part of the Chrome browser? That is certainly not good
news for the majority of Linux users who use other browsers (e.g.
Firefox).

--Greg


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Alchemist
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

2012/2/22 Greg Woods <woods@ucar.edu>:
> On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 20:19 +0200, Alchemist wrote:
>> http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html
>
> That appears to say that the Flash plugin for 64-bit Linux will only be
> distributed as part of the Chrome browser? That is certainly not good
> news for the majority of Linux users who use other browsers (e.g.
> Firefox).
>
> --Greg
>
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Not only 64bit, but also 32bit. Flash will be part of Chrome(not
Chromium). So if Mozilla will not add Pepper API support
https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:Pepper
then this is a real problem for Linux users i think.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:52:29 +0200
Alchemist wrote:

> then this is a real problem for Linux users i think.

I don't see it as a problem, I see it as yet another thing
that will help hasten the demise of flash.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Alchemist
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

2012/2/22 Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:52:29 +0200
> Alchemist wrote:
>
>> then this is a real problem for Linux users i think.
>
> I don't see it as a problem, I see it as yet another thing
> that will help hasten the demise of flash.t
> --
Yes, for example using html5 in future. But if we are talking about
webdevelopers and end users, there will be disputes
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

On 02/22/2012 12:04 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

I don't see it as a problem, I see it as yet another thing
that will help hasten the demise of flash.


Why? All of the Microsoft fanbois will have it and you'll be able to
use it on your Mac. Like it or not, that's well over 90% of the market,
and to Adobe, that's all that matters.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM
"Nex6"
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

Here is the adobe link:http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html
and it says they are changing APIs, and will support the current API/plugins (11.2) for 5 years.....
and, Firefox et al will be free to use the new API and have flash....

-Nex6





-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Re: Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

From: Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us>

Date: Wed, February 22, 2012 1:11 pm

To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>



On 02/22/2012 12:04 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I don't see it as a problem, I see it as yet another thing

> that will help hasten the demise of flash.



Why? All of the Microsoft fanbois will have it and you'll be able to

use it on your Mac. Like it or not, that's well over 90% of the market,

and to Adobe, that's all that matters.

--

users mailing list

users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM
James Wilkinson
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

Joe Zeff wrote:
> Why? All of the Microsoft fanbois will have it and you'll be able
> to use it on your Mac. Like it or not, that's well over 90% of the
> market, and to Adobe, that's all that matters.

Not any more: they’ve never had Flash on iPhone or iPad, a lot of
Android devices don’t have it, and Adobe have already announced that
they’re going to stop developing it for Android. And I understand
Microsoft won’t allow Flash on Windows 8 on ARM.

That means no Flash on mobiles, and no Flash on tablets. These days,
that’s well over 10% of the market, and more in the future.

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | "I blame the teachers, and I blame the politicians for
aprilcottage.co.uk | picking the teachers, and I blame the parents for voting
| them in, and top of the list I put the bastard who
| invented the caps-lock key." -- Chris Hacking
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

On 02/22/2012 12:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Joe Zeff wrote:

Why? All of the Microsoft fanbois will have it and you'll be able
to use it on your Mac. Like it or not, that's well over 90% of the
market, and to Adobe, that's all that matters.


Not any more: they’ve never had Flash on iPhone or iPad, a lot of
Android devices don’t have it, and Adobe have already announced that
they’re going to stop developing it for Android. And I understand
Microsoft won’t allow Flash on Windows 8 on ARM.

That means no Flash on mobiles, and no Flash on tablets. These days,
that’s well over 10% of the market, and more in the future.


Also let's not forget that Google is pushing HTML5 and that means H.264
for now. H.264 is YAFPC (yet another f***ing proprietary codec).
I have this funny feeling we're entering another phase of the mp3 wars.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
- -
- If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid! -
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Alan Cox
 
Default Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:18:16 -0700
"Nex6" <borg@borg1911.com> wrote:

>
> Here is the adobe link:
> http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html
>
> and it says they are changing APIs, and will support the current API/plugins (11.2) for 5 years.....
>
> and, Firefox et al will be free to use the new API and have flash....

To me this is a good thing - the new API's are far better designed for
things like containing garbage code that's probably full of holes.


Alan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org