Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 PM
William Case

Default re-mapping an older disk ??

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 11:25 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have some hard disk problems, every thing I try just keeps digging a
> deeper hole.
> SMART Data
>
> Disk HAS MANY BAD SECTORS
> Backup all data and replace the disk
>
> Current Pending Sector Count
> Number of sectors waiting to be remapped
>
> Problem(s) could also be mixed with my trying to set up and use LVM for
> the first time. !! If anyone recognizes a LVM problem please let me
> know? Could also be from physicaly switching two 500g harddrives
> around?
>
> Diagnosis suggestions would be welcome.
>

> googled for suggested fix because the disk is not that old. Got the dd
> suggestion below. Looks destructive.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M conv=noerror

In case I wasn't clear,its not so much that I need a solution but need
some suggestions on how to sort out which is the main problem.

1) Hardware from switching the disk's order around (channel 1 <==>
channel 2 in BIOS)
2) Improperly installing or using LVM
3) Remapping
4) Hard drive really is broken.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 16, Gnome 3.2.1

Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Steven Stern

On 02/22/2012 10:56 AM, William Case wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 11:25 -0500, William Case wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>> I have some hard disk problems, every thing I try just keeps digging a
>> deeper hole.
>> SMART Data
>>
>> Disk HAS MANY BAD SECTORS
>> Backup all data and replace the disk
>>
>> Current Pending Sector Count
>> Number of sectors waiting to be remapped
>>
>> Problem(s) could also be mixed with my trying to set up and use LVM for
>> the first time. !! If anyone recognizes a LVM problem please let me
>> know? Could also be from physicaly switching two 500g harddrives
>> around?
>>
>> Diagnosis suggestions would be welcome.
>>

>> googled for suggested fix because the disk is not that old. Got the dd
>> suggestion below. Looks destructive.
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M conv=noerror
>>
> In case I wasn't clear,its not so much that I need a solution but need
> some suggestions on how to sort out which is the main problem.
>
> 1) Hardware from switching the disk's order around (channel 1 <==>
> channel 2 in BIOS)
> 2) Improperly installing or using LVM
> 3) Remapping
> 4) Hard drive really is broken.

SMART talks directly to the disk, so #4 is the most likely case. Before
doing anything else, make a backup.

--
-- Steve

Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Greg Woods

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 11:00 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 02/22/2012 10:56 AM, William Case wrote:

> > 1) Hardware from switching the disk's order around (channel 1 <==>
> > channel 2 in BIOS)
> > 2) Improperly installing or using LVM
> > 3) Remapping
> > 4) Hard drive really is broken.
> >

> SMART talks directly to the disk, so #4 is the most likely case.

Since the OP did move disks around, another possibility is that a cable
is not well-seated. This is always the first thing I check any time
there is something that looks like a hardware problem.

--Greg

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Tim

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 11:25 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Could also be from physicaly switching two 500g harddrives around?

Yes, if you've bashed them about... Another consideration point with a
sudden demise of a drive, is to check that the power supply is ok.

If you're trying to recover data from a dying disk, I'd suggest that you
have it connected to a completely different port than whatever you're
trying to save the rescued data to. Some hardware seems to be really
bad at doing other things while trying to read from a bad drive.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Alan Cox

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:25:01 -0500
William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I have some hard disk problems, every thing I try just keeps digging a
> deeper hole.
> SMART Data
>
> Disk HAS MANY BAD SECTORS
> Backup all data and replace the disk
>
> Current Pending Sector Count
> Number of sectors waiting to be remapped

Is this 'palimpset' from Fedora or a diagnostic tool ? The Fedora
graphical one seems to have a bee in its bonnet about certain values that
don't always mean problems.

If its the former then ask smartctl for a diagnosis

smartctl -Hc /dev/whatever

and you should get a

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

in which case the drive thinks its happy.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/monitoring-hard-disks-smart?page=0,1

might be useful

Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Alan Cox

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:21:49 -0700
Greg Woods <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 11:00 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> > On 02/22/2012 10:56 AM, William Case wrote:
>
> > > 1) Hardware from switching the disk's order around (channel 1 <==>
> > > channel 2 in BIOS)
> > > 2) Improperly installing or using LVM
> > > 3) Remapping
> > > 4) Hard drive really is broken.
> > >

> > SMART talks directly to the disk, so #4 is the most likely case.
>
> Since the OP did move disks around, another possibility is that a cable
> is not well-seated. This is always the first thing I check any time
> there is something that looks like a hardware problem.

Cable errors are reported differently. The drive is reporting two things

1. It's got bad sectors.
2. it's got sectors that it knows are bad but hasn't yet reassigned when
they next get written.

That may be bad or irrelevant. smartctl will ask the drive its own
opinion which is actually far more useful than the Fedora graphical tools.

It also allows you to run offline 'destructive' tests (ie they lose the
disk content) if you want the drive to do a complete self test.