Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Amit Saha

Default OT: Sending e-mails from a database

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Sorry for this out of topic post, but I do not know of more appropriate forum.
>
> I would like to send several e-mails from a GMail account and with the
> same content but with a different opening for each recipient. Is it
> possible to accomplish it with Fedora?

All you need is Python:
http://docs.python.org/library/email-examples.html and more
specifically for GMail:
http://segfault.in/2010/12/sending-gmail-from-python/

From your description: just set the SMTP server name,
username/password accordingly, read each recipient from a list and
send away
by finding an appropriate way to set the opening - which you mention
will be different.

Good luck.
-Amit

--
http://echorand.me

Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 PM
James Wilkinson

Paul Smith wrote:
> I would like to send several e-mails from a GMail account and with the
> same content but with a different opening for each recipient. Is it
> possible to accomplish it with Fedora?

How big a database?

Thing is, this sounds like bulk emailing: if it’s large enough that you
want to automate this, it’s large enough to be considered bulk. That
immediately raises two questions:

* Have all your recipients *actively* requested this email?

* is what you’re doing likely to get the attention of ISPs, and Google
in particular?

The large free email service providers (Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL and Google)
have an ongoing problem with spammers using their services¹, and are
taking a number of technical means to spot and stop this. You don’t want
to fall foul of this, or you may find Google closing your account
permanently. A database-fed burst of similar but slightly-different
email is the sort of thing that they would look for.

There’s a lot of potential for things to go wrong here, and you probably
won’t get any support from Google.

You might want to consider http://mailchimp.com/pricing/free/ : they do
know what they’re doing, and they have a pretty good reputation. (I’m
not connected with MailChimp, although I did recommend it to my company
before we decided to keep bulk-mailing in-house.)

Hope this helps,

James.

¹ Especially the so-called Nigerian 419 spammers, who will pay
third-world citizens to write and send emails through free email
services: the constantly-differing texts make it harder to do content
analysis spotting that these emails are spam.

--
E-mail: james@ | 'Short for "Sic Transit Gloria Humanorum", which is Latin
aprilcottage.co.uk | for "There goes the neighbourhood!"'

Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Paul Smith

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM, James Wilkinson
<fedora@aprilcottage.co.uk> wrote:
> > I would like to send several e-mails from a GMail account and with the
> > same content but with a different opening for each recipient. Is it
> > possible to accomplish it with Fedora?
>
> How big a database?
>
> Thing is, this sounds like bulk emailing: if it’s large enough that you
> want to automate this, it’s large enough to be considered bulk. That
> immediately raises two questions:
>
> ** Have all your recipients *actively* requested this email?
>
> ** is what you’re doing likely to get the attention of ISPs, and Google
> * in particular?
>
> The large free email service providers (Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL and Google)
> have an ongoing problem with spammers using their services¹, and are
> taking a number of technical means to spot and stop this. You don’t want
> to fall foul of this, or you may find Google closing your account
> permanently. A database-fed burst of similar but slightly-different
> email is the sort of thing that they would look for.
>
> There’s a lot of potential for things to go wrong here, and you probably
> won’t get any support from Google.
>
> You might want to consider http://mailchimp.com/pricing/free/ : they do
> know what they’re doing, and they have a pretty good reputation. (I’m
> not connected with MailChimp, although I did recommend it to my company
> before we decided to keep bulk-mailing in-house.)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>

> ¹ Especially the so-called Nigerian 419 spammers, who will pay
> third-world citizens to write and send emails through free email
> services: the constantly-differing texts make it harder to do content
> analysis spotting that these emails are spam.

Thanks for all answers and suggestions. I have meanwhile found the
following script, which works with the Google Docs Spreadsheet:

http://www.google.pt/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=yet%20another%20mail%20merge&sour ce=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVxUgXeswDLI&ei=Ju9E T9C3Nc-78gOs1sHZBA&usg=AFQjCNHHAo1r8hLIvlblWUYCzh-n_cyNAg&cad=rja

My database has 500 recipients, and is not spam.

Paul