FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

This is a fresh install of Fedora 16 on a new laptop with 8GB memory.
When I attempt to hibernate from the Session Menu I get a popup with
the message:

Failed to hibernate session
Not enough swap space.

Here's the disk layout:

(parted) print

Model: ATA WDC WD7500BPKT-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
2 106MB 42.8GB 42.7GB primary ntfs
3 42.8GB 43.3GB 524MB primary ext4
4 43.3GB 750GB 707GB extended
5 43.3GB 148GB 105GB logical ext4
6 148GB 358GB 210GB logical ext4
7 358GB 463GB 105GB logical ext4
8 463GB 473GB 10.5GB logical fat32
9 473GB 484GB 10.5GB logical ext4
10 484GB 493GB 9437MB logical linux-swap(v1)
11 493GB 493GB 1049kB logical ext2
12 493GB 750GB 257GB logical ext4

As you can see, I've allocated 9GB for swap.

Any suggestions?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Tim
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:33 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> This is a fresh install of Fedora 16 on a new laptop with 8GB memory.
> When I attempt to hibernate from the Session Menu I get a popup with
> the message:
>
> 10 484GB 493GB 9437MB logical linux-swap(v1)
>
> As you can see, I've allocated 9GB for swap.
>
> Any suggestions?

Not willing to do the math at the moment, but is it a rounding issue?
Are memory stick gigabytes the same as disk gigabytes? Is your swap
space sufficiently large enough to avoid the difference? (I recall
reading it needed to be at least as large as your RAM, but not how much
more would be a good idea.) Is your swap space active and is the kernel
set to use it?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:33 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>> This is a fresh install of Fedora 16 on a new laptop with 8GB memory.
>> When I attempt to hibernate from the Session Menu I get a popup with
>> the message:
>>
>> 10 * * *484GB * 493GB * 9437MB *logical * linux-swap(v1)
>>
>> As you can see, I've allocated 9GB for swap.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Not willing to do the math at the moment, but is it a rounding issue?
> Are memory stick gigabytes the same as disk gigabytes? *Is your swap
> space sufficiently large enough to avoid the difference? *(I recall
> reading it needed to be at least as large as your RAM, but not how much
> more would be a good idea.)
--
> Is your swap space active and is the kernel
> set to use it?

`cat /proc/swaps` to check this. IIRC one of my boxes didn't enable
swap till I fiddled with it a bit a few months ago (albeit w/F15).
Maybe the same thing happened to you.

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Roberto Ragusa
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On 02/22/2012 10:36 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Is your swap space active and is the kernel
>> set to use it?
>
> `cat /proc/swaps` to check this. IIRC one of my boxes didn't enable
> swap till I fiddled with it a bit a few months ago (albeit w/F15).
> Maybe the same thing happened to you.

Check /proc/swaps to see if the kernel really has 9GB swap.

Also check how much swap you are actually using before hibernation.
You may be borderline.

I'm not sure about swap fragmentation issues; I can only say that I used
to use tuxonice and it was much more reliable (it also used memory
compression so it was able to work with less swap than RAM).

--
Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On 02/22/2012 01:36:32 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:33 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> >> This is a fresh install of Fedora 16 on a new laptop with 8GB
> memory.
> >> When I attempt to hibernate from the Session Menu I get a popup
> with
> >> the message:
> >>
> >> 10 * * *484GB * 493GB * 9437MB *logical * linux-swap(v1)
> >>
> >> As you can see, I've allocated 9GB for swap.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > Not willing to do the math at the moment, but is it a rounding
> issue?
> > Are memory stick gigabytes the same as disk gigabytes? *Is your
> swap
> > space sufficiently large enough to avoid the difference? *(I recall
> > reading it needed to be at least as large as your RAM, but not how
> much
> > more would be a good idea.)
> --
> > Is your swap space active and is the kernel
> > set to use it?
>
> `cat /proc/swaps` to check this. IIRC one of my boxes didn't enable
> swap till I fiddled with it a bit a few months ago (albeit w/F15).
> Maybe the same thing happened to you.

Hmmmm ... this doesn't look good ....

root@puget[2]->cat /proc/swaps
Filename Type Size Used
Priority
root@puget[3]

Do you recall the nature of the "fiddling" ?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> On 02/22/2012 01:36:32 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>
>> wrote:
>> > On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:33 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>> >> This is a fresh install of Fedora 16 on a new laptop with 8GB
>> memory.
>> >> When I attempt to hibernate from the Session Menu I get a popup
>> with
>> >> the message:
>> >>
>> >> 10 * * *484GB * 493GB * 9437MB *logical * linux-swap(v1)
>> >>
>> >> As you can see, I've allocated 9GB for swap.
>> >>
>> >> Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > Not willing to do the math at the moment, but is it a rounding
>> issue?
>> > Are memory stick gigabytes the same as disk gigabytes? *Is your
>> swap
>> > space sufficiently large enough to avoid the difference? *(I recall
>> > reading it needed to be at least as large as your RAM, but not how
>> much
>> > more would be a good idea.)
>> --
>> > Is your swap space active and is the kernel
>> > set to use it?
>>
>> `cat /proc/swaps` to check this. *IIRC one of my boxes didn't enable
>> swap till I fiddled with it a bit a few months ago (albeit w/F15).
>> Maybe the same thing happened to you.
>
> Hmmmm ... this doesn't look good ....
>
> root@puget[2]->cat /proc/swaps
> Filename * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Type * * * * * *Size * *Used
> Priority
> root@puget[3]
>
> Do you recall the nature of the "fiddling" ?

`swapon /dev/sda10` will fix the problem immediately, but that won't
survive a reboot.

Likely something is wrong with the fstab entry for it. It should look like:
/dev/sda10 swap swap defaults 0 0

(The device might be different; can't remember if swap devices have
UUIDs or not. I've been using LVM2 for ages now.)

Failing that, what does `systemctl show swap.target` say?

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On 02/22/2012 07:09:13 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net>
> wrote:
> > On 02/22/2012 01:36:32 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> >> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tim
> <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>
> >> wrote:
> >> > On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:33 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> >> >> This is a fresh install of Fedora 16 on a new laptop with 8GB
> >> memory.
> >> >> When I attempt to hibernate from the Session Menu I get a popup
> >> with
> >> >> the message:
> >> >>
> >> >> 10 * * *484GB * 493GB * 9437MB *logical * linux-swap(v1)
> >> >>
> >> >> As you can see, I've allocated 9GB for swap.
> >> >>
> >> >> Any suggestions?
> >> >
> >> > Not willing to do the math at the moment, but is it a rounding
> >> issue?
> >> > Are memory stick gigabytes the same as disk gigabytes? *Is your
> >> swap
> >> > space sufficiently large enough to avoid the difference? *(I
> recall
> >> > reading it needed to be at least as large as your RAM, but not
> how
> >> much
> >> > more would be a good idea.)
> >> --
> >> > Is your swap space active and is the kernel
> >> > set to use it?
> >>
> >> `cat /proc/swaps` to check this. *IIRC one of my boxes didn't
> enable
> >> swap till I fiddled with it a bit a few months ago (albeit w/F15).
> >> Maybe the same thing happened to you.
> >
> > Hmmmm ... this doesn't look good ....
> >
> > root@puget[2]->cat /proc/swaps
> > Filename * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Type * * * * * *Size *
> *Used
> > Priority
> > root@puget[3]
> >
> > Do you recall the nature of the "fiddling" ?
>
> `swapon /dev/sda10` will fix the problem immediately, but that won't
> survive a reboot.
>
> Likely something is wrong with the fstab entry for it. It should
> look
> like:
> /dev/sda10 swap swap defaults 0 0
>
> (The device might be different; can't remember if swap devices have
> UUIDs or not. I've been using LVM2 for ages now.)
>
> Failing that, what does `systemctl show swap.target` say?

root@puget[21]->swapon -U ad15f364-1e9b-493b-9351-d27e0f680c97
swapon: /dev/sda10: swapon failed: Cannot allocate memory
root@puget[22]->dmesg
[ 2422.985600] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 2425.029604] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 2427.073615] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 2429.117625] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 2431.161639] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 2433.205676] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint
[ 2434.742816] vmap allocation for size 2310144 failed: use
vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
[ 2435.249643] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint

#systemctl show swap.target

Id=swap.target
Names=swap.target
Wants=dev-disk-byx2duuid-ad15f364x2d1e9bx2d493bx2d9351
x2dd27e0f680c97.swap
WantedBy=sysinit.target
Conflicts=shutdown.target
Before=sysinit.target
After=dev-disk-byx2duuid-ad15f364x2d1e9bx2d493bx2d9351
x2dd27e0f680c97.swap
Description=Swap
LoadState=loaded
ActiveState=active
SubState=active
FragmentPath=/lib/systemd/system/swap.target
UnitFileState=static
InactiveExitTimestamp=Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:29:54 -0800
InactiveExitTimestampMonotonic=21346118
ActiveEnterTimestamp=Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:29:54 -0800
ActiveEnterTimestampMonotonic=21346118
ActiveExitTimestampMonotonic=0
InactiveEnterTimestampMonotonic=0
CanStart=yes
CanStop=yes
CanReload=no
CanIsolate=no
StopWhenUnneeded=no
RefuseManualStart=no
RefuseManualStop=no
AllowIsolate=no
DefaultDependencies=yes
OnFailureIsolate=no
IgnoreOnIsolate=no
IgnoreOnSnapshot=no
NeedDaemonReload=no
JobTimeoutUSec=0
ConditionTimestamp=Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:29:54 -0800
ConditionTimestampMonotonic=21346117
ConditionResult=yes

There have been severall reports of similar problems, but with usb3
devices, which this disk is not.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> root@puget[21]->swapon -U ad15f364-1e9b-493b-9351-d27e0f680c97
<snip output>

Are you by chance using the Nvidia binary blob video driver? It might
cause this issue, and there is a workaround:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.31/README/chapter-09.html#kva_exhaustion

If you aren't, the suggestion there might still help, but you should
also file a bug against the kernel [1]. (Don't bother doing so if you
are using the nvidia driver, the kernel team really can't do anything
about it when that's in the mix.)

> #systemctl show swap.target
<snip output>

This indicates that systemd is attempting to start your swap device,
so the error you get when running `swapon` is the issue, not fstab or
anything.

> There have been severall reports of similar problems, but with usb3
> devices, which this disk is not.

-T.C.

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&version=16&component= kernel
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default Hibernate: not enough swap space

On 02/22/2012 07:33:45 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net>
> wrote:
> > root@puget[21]->swapon -U ad15f364-1e9b-493b-9351-d27e0f680c97
> <snip output>
>
> Are you by chance using the Nvidia binary blob video driver? It
> might
> cause this issue, and there is a workaround:
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.31/README/
> chapter-09.html#kva_exhaustion
>
> If you aren't, the suggestion there might still help, but you should
> also file a bug against the kernel [1]. (Don't bother doing so if
> you
> are using the nvidia driver, the kernel team really can't do anything
> about it when that's in the mix.)
>
> > #systemctl show swap.target
> <snip output>
>
> This indicates that systemd is attempting to start your swap device,
> so the error you get when running `swapon` is the issue, not fstab or
> anything.
>
> > There have been severall reports of similar problems, but with usb3
> > devices, which this disk is not.

I'm running nouveau, which works really well so that's not a problem,
however, the Nvidia file that you pointed me to says, "If your system
is equipped with an X86-64 (AMD64/EM64T) processor, it is recommended
that you switch to a 64-bit Linux kernel/distribution." and that
applies to me, sadly. So before I complain I'd better get myself a 64
bit disto.

Thanks for your insights.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org