Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 PM

Default (SOLVED) VMware workstation 8 on linux 2.6.42 (Fedora 15) anyone?

> Am 18.02.2012 20:30, schrieb Dean S. Messing:
> > A recent update installed the 2.6.42.3-2 kernel and now VMware
> > Workstation 8.0.2 (and 8.0.1) won't compile its modules. Does anyone
> > know if module patches have been issued. I've been unable to find them=
> =2E
> >=20
> > Secondarily, is anyone here running Workstation 8 with the 2.6.42
> > kernel?
>
> http://slackblogs.blogspot.com/2012/01/vmware-workstation-802-and-linux-k=
> ernel.html
>
> i would "yum --enablerepo=3Dupdates-testing update kernel*"
> "2.6.42.3-2" made me crazy and forced me to completly remove
> VMwareWorkstation, remove pacthes and start again
>
> last week "kernel-2.6.42.6-3.fc15.x86_64" arrived in updates-testing
> and oh wonder after reboot the modules was rebuilt automatically
> and vmware-service started - the first time that they are here before
> calling vmware as root and wait compile

I have verified that upon installing kernel-2.6.42.6-3.fc15.x86_64 from
updates-testing, and then installing the patch in Step 1 of the URL above, and
recompiling the modules, everything works. Just follow the steps at the
URL and you should be good to go.

I _did_ bother to first see if the 2.6.42.6-3 kernel would allow the
unpatched vmware modules to compile and it failed. The patch appears to
be necessary.