Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Timothy Murphy

Default Ogg to mp3, anyone?

I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to mp3.
(My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)

I read of a program "sneetchalizer", which apparently is a ruby script,
<http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/>,
but despite innumerable clues I've been unable to find the program itself.

If anyone knows where I can find this program,
or any program to convert Ogg audio files to mp3,
I would be very grateful.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Antonio Olivares

> I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg
> music format to mp3.
> (My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)
>
> I read of a program "sneetchalizer", which apparently is a
> ruby script,
> <http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/>,
> but despite innumerable clues I've been unable to find the
> program itself.
>
> If anyone knows where I can find this program,
> or any program to convert Ogg audio files to mp3,
> I would be very grateful.
>

> --

A script called ogg2mp3 in Linux Questions may help:

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/.ogg_to_.mp3

Cut and paste it and save as ogg2mp3 in any directory where the ogg files are at or whereever you want it, then
$ chmod +x ogg2mp3
then run it like the suggestion

find /path -name *.ogg -exec ogg2mp3 {} ;

Hope this helps,

Antonio

Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Ed Greshko

On 02/20/2012 09:03 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to mp3.
> (My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)
>
> I read of a program "sneetchalizer", which apparently is a ruby script,
> <http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/>,
> but despite innumerable clues I've been unable to find the program itself.
>
> If anyone knows where I can find this program,
> or any program to convert Ogg audio files to mp3,
> I would be very grateful.

It seems a simple google search of "convert ogg to mp3 linux" would get
you going.

Giving a cursory glance would seem to indicate this can easily be done
on the command line using a combination of oggdec and lame.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis

Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM
JD

I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to mp3.

(My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)

I read of a program "sneetchalizer", which apparently is a ruby script,

<http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/>,

but despite innumerable clues I've been unable to find the program itself.

If anyone knows where I can find this program,

or any program to convert Ogg audio files to mp3,

I would be very grateful.

I have successfully converted ogg to mp3 using ffmpeg

Be sure you have both mp3 libs (codecs) and ogg libs (codecs) installed.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Ranjan Maitra

Does mp4 work for you? In that case, you can use vlc:
http://maketecheasier.com/convert-ogg-to-mp4-using-vlc-media-player/2008/02/18

I have not had the need to do this yet.

Ranjan

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM
nomnex

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:03:16 +0000
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> If anyone knows where I can find this program,
> or any program to convert Ogg audio files to mp3,

"Sound converter" GTK (GUI front end). It's in the Fedora repo.

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex

Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 20 February 2012 09:10:50 Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 09:03 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to
> > mp3. (My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)
>
> Giving a cursory glance would seem to indicate this can easily be done
> on the command line using a combination of oggdec and lame.

I second this approach. It is easily scriptable, and both oggdec and lame are
readily available and easy to work with.

Note, though, that conversion between ogg and mp3 will drastically deteriorate
the audio quality of the recording. It would be much better to find the master
recording (the source wav file or the audio cd) and convert it directly to mp3.

Of course, the deterioration of signal ultimately depends on the quality of
the playback device. :-)

Also, isn't it possible to install an ogg codec into Android somehow? I am
pretty ignorant about the whole Android technology, but I understand it is
basically a Linux-kernel-based OS, so...

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Tom Horsley

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to mp3.
> (My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)

mplayer and mencoder and do anything, but you need to sort through
the 187 factorial combination of options :-). They are available
in the rpmfusion repos.

The audacity version from rpmfusion is probably a simpler way.
You can load the .ogg file and export it as an mp3 and most of
the defaults will be reasonable.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Richard Shaw

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to mp3.
> (My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)
>
> I read of a program "sneetchalizer", which apparently is a ruby script,
> <http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/>,
> but despite innumerable clues I've been unable to find the program itself.
>
> If anyone knows where I can find this program,
> or any program to convert Ogg audio files to mp3,
> I would be very grateful.

I think you're missing the easiest method... If you put a file called
".is_audio_player" on the root of your SD card with the right info in
it[1] and Banshee will automatically convert files when you add them
to you phone. I'm surprised about ogg though. My android 2.2 phone has
no problems with ogg files.

[1] http://act1v8.wordpress.com/2007/10/07/make-banshee-recognize-your-mass-storage-device-as-a-dap/

Richard

Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Andrew McNabb

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 01:03:16AM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to mp3.
> (My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)
>
> I read of a program "sneetchalizer", which apparently is a ruby script,
> <http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/>,
> but despite innumerable clues I've been unable to find the program itself.
>
> If anyone knows where I can find this program,
> or any program to convert Ogg audio files to mp3,
> I would be very grateful.

I've had good luck with Oggify:

http://scottr.org/oggify/

It's handy for converting a tree of files between different formats.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/