Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Paul Allen Newell

Default xsane problem - also hp-setup w/ hp7510

On 2/18/2012 11:33 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

On 2/18/2012 7:53 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

On 2/18/2012 7:22 PM, ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Installing_USB_Scanner#Scanner_detection

Terry

Terry:

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

[...]

I've got to pound on some parts of my system to make sure its really
as I think (plus some selinux / clamav / totem tests). Let me get
that done, take a look at your suggestion and get back to you.

Really appreciate your taking the time to give me some ideas.
Paul

Terry:

I am at least back to ground zero. Problem was that the subnetwork
that the F16 machine was on made an assumption about "non-wireless"
access that I had to correct. I've got it and another F14 machine on
it seeing the printer and happily printing.

Okay, I've gone through the link and gotten everything on my end square
for testing.

Printer is now static IP and, using "yum install system-config-print
cups hpijs", I can print from any machine.

Installed hplip, hplip-gui, and xsane.

On my F14 system, I can hook up a CanoScan N1240 LIDE30 via USB and
xsane works (very nicely, I might add). However, neither the F14 or F16
systems will see any printer or scanner running hp-setup or xsane.
Which, in the case of the printer, is really odd as the admin->printer
clearly shows the networked printer.

The new Firefox 10.0.1 on F16 almost freezes up the whole system when I
try to access the scanner's ip. No such problem on F14 or XP (which are
using 3.6.27). I see 10.0.2 has jsut been releases and I'll wait for it
to show up via yum. Obviously, a different problem, but just makes
working on this one a bit harder).

One thing I did notice was I could not find a confirm that HP 7510 was
working with xsane, just a memo that it was well handled in hplip. So I
figure I've got to first get hp-setup to see the 7510.

That being said, I am 100% functional for printing and, given that I
only scan about 20 items a year, using the F14 or XP box is quite
acceptable. Not certain if my continued effort is actually going to gain
me anything except personal satisfaction.

If anyone has a HP 7510 running as networked (wireless into a router)
and can run hp-setup, I'd appreciate knowing so I can see if I am
missing something.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Gabriel Ramirez

That being said, I am 100% functional for printing and, given that I
only scan about 20 items a year, using the F14 or XP box is quite
acceptable. Not certain if my continued effort is actually going to gain
me anything except personal satisfaction.

If anyone has a HP 7510 running as networked (wireless into a router)
and can run hp-setup, I'd appreciate knowing so I can see if I am
missing something.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi,

the rpms installed on my system are:

hpijs-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-common-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-gui-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-libs-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
libsane-hpaio-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64

I have a Hp c7280 to detect it with hp-setup I have:

- select Network/Ethernet/Wireless network
- select Show advanced options
- enable manual discovery
- type the ip address of the printer

Regards,

Gabriel

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Paul Allen Newell

I have a Hp c7280 to detect it with hp-setup I have:

- select Network/Ethernet/Wireless network
- select Show advanced options
- enable manual discovery
- type the ip address of the printer

Regards,

Gabriel

Gabriel:

You provided the necessary piece of info that I overlooked (as we would
say in the States .. "Bingo!").

I had all the rpms, but what happened was I got fooled by the
"system-config-print cups hpijs" setup through admin->printing in which
it was able to search and find without my doing anything. I was trying
the Network/Ethernet/Wireless expecting the same. I looked in the
advance options for an alternative rather than thinking of using it "in
addition to". As I had already realized I needed the printer to be
static IP and got that done this morning, I did the "manual discovery"
and it worked. I would say hp-setup found it but its more like your
suggestion was "stopping looking all over, its right under your nose at
this address!".

When I print something (an html, for example), I am now seeing two
instances of the printer ... the one created through
"system-config-print cups hpijs" and a second created to hp-setup. I am
assuming that I can delete the first and that the whole "system-[...]"
sequence could have been skipped in favor of hp-setup. I want to test
with a bunch of different situations, plus do on both F14 and F16 (I
just tested with F14 as its beside me and not downstairs ... I've gone
up and down them so many times, I've gotten my manditory exercise for
the day!).

The great part was that when I ran the scanner tool, xsane immediately
found the HP 7510 and scans like a champ. Mind you, the HP 7510 won't
scan directly to the Linux box as it only wants to acknowledge where the
"official HP software is" (the XP box), but that's academic as I have no
problems with do all scans as "pulls" rather than being able to "push"
--- I usually pull scans from my XP rather than start the process out on
the printer/scanner. I did reboots to make sure it wasn't a matter of
something needing to be kicked.

Tomorrow I'll run the full set of tests.

I really really thank you (assume html bold/italic here). Though it may
seem obvious to use the "manual" option, I was too deep into trying to
figure out all the different things that might be happening that
"obvious" was just not in my range.

My thanks also go to Terry for all his help. Everything worked per his
advice once the "obvious" was painted on the side of a big barn for me
to see.

Paul

Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 AM

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 08:30:28PM -0800, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> Gabriel:
>
> You provided the necessary piece of info that I overlooked (as we would
> say in the States .. "Bingo!").
>
> I had all the rpms, but what happened was I got fooled by the
> "system-config-print cups hpijs" setup through admin->printing in which
> it was able to search and find without my doing anything. I was trying
> the Network/Ethernet/Wireless expecting the same. I looked in the
> advance options for an alternative rather than thinking of using it "in
> addition to". As I had already realized I needed the printer to be
> static IP and got that done this morning, I did the "manual discovery"
> and it worked. I would say hp-setup found it but its more like your
> suggestion was "stopping looking all over, its right under your nose at
> this address!".
>
> When I print something (an html, for example), I am now seeing two
> instances of the printer ... the one created through
> "system-config-print cups hpijs" and a second created to hp-setup. I am
> assuming that I can delete the first and that the whole "system-[...]"
> sequence could have been skipped in favor of hp-setup. I want to test
> with a bunch of different situations, plus do on both F14 and F16 (I
> just tested with F14 as its beside me and not downstairs ... I've gone
> up and down them so many times, I've gotten my manditory exercise for
> the day!).
>
> The great part was that when I ran the scanner tool, xsane immediately
> found the HP 7510 and scans like a champ. Mind you, the HP 7510 won't
> scan directly to the Linux box as it only wants to acknowledge where the
> "official HP software is" (the XP box), but that's academic as I have no
> problems with do all scans as "pulls" rather than being able to "push"
> --- I usually pull scans from my XP rather than start the process out on
> the printer/scanner. I did reboots to make sure it wasn't a matter of
> something needing to be kicked.
>
> Tomorrow I'll run the full set of tests.
>
> I really really thank you (assume html bold/italic here). Though it may
> seem obvious to use the "manual" option, I was too deep into trying to
> figure out all the different things that might be happening that
> "obvious" was just not in my range.
>
> My thanks also go to Terry for all his help. Everything worked per his
> advice once the "obvious" was painted on the side of a big barn for me
> to see.

Paul, glad you figgered it out. I had a feeling it was something of this
type. Like I say, 'the computer is always right, or garbage in...'

Terry

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Gabriel Ramirez

[...]

Well I was in your situation some time ago, and wasnt obvious to me too,

I lost lots of time too trying to detect the printer automatically,
trying the printer's hostname ( I have a dns server) and did'nt work,
only specifying the ip address works

seems which hp-setup only detect printers:

- via multicast addresses which don't transverse ip subnets
- and specifying ip address so it can connect directly

Gabriel

Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Paul, glad you figgered it out. I had a feeling it was something of this
type. Like I say, 'the computer is always right, or garbage in...'

Terry

===
[gabriel's reply:]

Hi,

Well I was in your situation some time ago, and wasnt obvious to me too,

I lost lots of time too trying to detect the printer automatically,
trying the printer's hostname ( I have a dns server) and did'nt work,
only specifying the ip address works

seems which hp-setup only detect printers:

- via multicast addresses which don't transverse ip subnets
- and specifying ip address so it can connect directly

Gabriel
===
Terry, Gabriel, and anyone else who might have a suggestion:

As of last night, I had two instances of the same printer known to my
machine, one from admin->printing and one from hp-setup. Feeling brave,
I blasted both today and ran only hp-setup using the manual override
advanced feature. Worked great and it feels like a cleaner setup. Ran
through all the tests, including scanning, and everything worked except
lpr. Was able to resolve that by admin->printing and setting the printer
to be system default (which put a check mark on it). Now lpr works.

However, its not a great font or size. I get a much better printing
opening the file with gvim and using the printer icon there. Began
digging around and cannot find anything which allows me to set font and
size for lpr and lpr alone. I am getting wysiwyg out of firefox,
thunderbird, and gvim, so I don't want to change anything that would.

The other thing that is odd is I get nothing out of lpinfo or lpstat but
do get something from lpq (tried both self and root).

I'm still happy, don't get me wrong ... its now just the little "oh,
wouldn't it be nice" sort of things and wanting to make sure the running
just hp-setup doesn't miss something (like the lp* functions).

Paul

Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Paul Allen Newell

I'm still happy, don't get me wrong ... its now just the little "oh,
wouldn't it be nice" sort of things and wanting to make sure the
running just hp-setup doesn't miss something (like the lp* functions).

Paul

For what it is worth ...

I'm going through
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems and not
seeing anything since I am getting stuff printed and the doc seems to be
directed at stuff not getting printed

Paul

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Tim Waugh

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 21:01 -0800, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I'm going through
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems and not
> seeing anything since I am getting stuff printed and the doc seems to be
> directed at stuff not getting printed

If you can see an improvement to be made to that page, please go ahead.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Tim

Paul Allen Newell:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems

Tim Waugh:
> If you can see an improvement to be made to that page, please go ahead.

Unrelated to the original poster, but I can think of a small one. At
the end of the page there is this:

------------- begin paste -------------

Other information to include
Be prepared to include some information about your system as well. Some
of this can be gathered automatically using the printing troubleshooter,
but you may also need to include other information such as:

* the PPD file for the print queue (from the /etc/cups/ppd
directory)
* the document you are attempting to print -- if this is large,
please try to see if the problem also occurs with a smaller
document

------------- end paste -------------

You could have a sample file for them to try out, or suggest a specific
file that they'd already have on their system. Some people have a
strange idea about what constitutes a *small* file. ;-) (It's only
50MB, I deal with bigger files than that, all the time...) And it could
stop them from trying to test print from some broken document file.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.