Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Frank Murphy

Default Cryptsetup luks "Invalid password" F16

Switched on this morning.
Can get into /devsda4 (root)

But as systemd starts doing it's stuff,
dropped to emergency shell.

Both /dev/sda3 (swap), /dev/sdb2 (home)
"invalid password"

They are unlocked with a keyfile at /root/keyfile.
pointed to in /etc/crypttab

Now have tried: (twice, same result)
dd =if=/dev/urandom of=/root/newkey
cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdb2 /root/newkey
Enter any Password: made one up
"No key with this paraphrase"
Stumped.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 18.02.2012, Frank Murphy wrote:

> Switched on this morning.
> Can get into /devsda4 (root)
>
> But as systemd starts doing it's stuff,
> dropped to emergency shell.
>
> Both /dev/sda3 (swap), /dev/sdb2 (home)
> "invalid password"

I have encountered this several times on my job machine (F16),
but could not find the root cause of this annoying behaviour yet.
The same machine worked fine with F14 and F15.

> Now have tried: (twice, same result)
> dd =if=/dev/urandom of=/root/newkey
> cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdb2 /root/newkey
> Enter any Password: made one up

> "No key with this paraphrase"
> Stumped.

Here's the problem: you have to provide a valid keyfile or passphrase to authentificate,
but you must NOT give a new password/passphrase here. See "man cryptsetup" and the
explanations which come with "luksAddKey".