Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Roger

Default Applications do not close with new kernel

None of my apps close since the last kernel kernel update and everything
becomes inaccessible..
Opening apps is fine but then the system stops, not the keyboard
fortunately.

The only way to kill an app is to <ctrl><alt><F2> and log in again then
try to kill the app or reboot.

Roger

Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Joe Zeff

None of my apps close since the last kernel kernel update and everything
becomes inaccessible..
Opening apps is fine but then the system stops, not the keyboard
fortunately.

The only way to kill an app is to <ctrl><alt><F2> and log in again then
try to kill the app or reboot.
Roger

Install xkill and put it on your panel. Then, as long as the mouse is
working, you can kill any unresponsive program. This isn't a solution
to your underlying issue, but it may help.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 AM
Roger

None of my apps close since the last kernel kernel update and everything
becomes inaccessible..
Opening apps is fine but then the system stops, not the keyboard
fortunately.

The only way to kill an app is to <ctrl><alt><F2> and log in again then
try to kill the app or reboot.
Roger

Install xkill and put it on your panel. Then, as long as the mouse is
working, you can kill any unresponsive program. This isn't a solution
to your underlying issue, but it may help

Thanks but the mouse is not functional when this happens.
problem with the gnome3 desktop is the lack of easily findable shortcuts
and hot keys.
I cannot find a hot key to bring up a terminal so cannot try ps aux and
kill the app that way.
The only option is to switch to another login, I've tried everything I
can think of.

Roger

Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 14:41 +1100, Roger wrote:
> On 19/02/12 12:18, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 02/18/2012 12:39 AM, Roger wrote:
> >> None of my apps close since the last kernel kernel update and everything
> >> becomes inaccessible..
> >> Opening apps is fine but then the system stops, not the keyboard
> >> fortunately.
> >>
> >> The only way to kill an app is to <ctrl><alt><F2> and log in again then
> >> try to kill the app or reboot.
> >> Roger
> >
> > Install xkill and put it on your panel. Then, as long as the mouse is
> > working, you can kill any unresponsive program. This isn't a solution
> > to your underlying issue, but it may help
>
> Thanks but the mouse is not functional when this happens.
> problem with the gnome3 desktop is the lack of easily findable shortcuts
> and hot keys.
> I cannot find a hot key to bring up a terminal so cannot try ps aux and
> kill the app that way.
> The only option is to switch to another login, I've tried everything I
> can think of.

You could also try a different desktop, such as KDE, FVWM etc.

poc

Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Roger

Thanks but the mouse is not functional when this happens.
problem with the gnome3 desktop is the lack of easily findable shortcuts
and hot keys.
I cannot find a hot key to bring up a terminal so cannot try ps aux and
kill the app that way.
The only option is to switch to another login, I've tried everything I
can think of.

You could also try a different desktop, such as KDE, FVWM etc.

poc

Yep! I thought of that but if we ignore problems by disappearing them by
using other apps then the problems continue.
For me personally, highlighting an issue may go some way toward a
resolution.
Gnome 3 has significant issues to be resolved, many of which have been
previously discussed.

Some dev somewhere will become aware of it and make a fix.
Roger

Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Ed Greshko

On 02/19/2012 02:01 PM, Roger wrote:
> Yep! I thought of that but if we ignore problems by disappearing them
> by using other apps then the problems continue.
> For me personally, highlighting an issue may go some way toward a
> resolution.
> Gnome 3 has significant issues to be resolved, many of which have
> been previously discussed.
> Some dev somewhere will become aware of it and make a fix.

Well, the best way for "some dev somewhere" to become aware of a problem
is to file a bugzilla. Mailing lists aren't meant for that purpose.

The problem you are experiencing would probably be annoying to
anyone/everyone but with the lack of responses not very widespread.

Can we all assume that you've booted into the previous kernel and
confirmed that it continues to function correctly?

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis

Old 02-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Scott Doty

On 02/18/2012 10:01 PM, Roger wrote:

> Thanks but the mouse is not functional when this happens.
> problem with the gnome3 desktop is the lack of easily findable shortcuts
> and hot keys.
> I cannot find a hot key to bring up a terminal so cannot try ps aux and
> kill the app that way.
> The only option is to switch to another login, I've tried everything I
> can think of.
>
>> You could also try a different desktop, such as KDE, FVWM etc.
>>
>> poc
>>
> Yep! I thought of that but if we ignore problems by disappearing them
> by using other apps then the problems continue.
> For me personally, highlighting an issue may go some way toward a
> resolution.
> Gnome 3 has significant issues to be resolved, many of which have
> been previously discussed.
> Some dev somewhere will become aware of it and make a fix.
> Roger

Weird, I ran across "Linus' Law" earlier today, discussed in terms of
Wikipedia entries:

http://virulentwordofmouse.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/the-range-of-linus-law/

Scott's addendum to ESR's version of Linus' Law:

"Given enough [skilled] eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."

The variables being "skill" and "eyeballs".

So when Roger writes: "Some dev somewhere will become aware of it and
make a fix", there are the begged questions of how many eyeballs are
sticking with Gnome 3, and how many are "skilled" (developers)?

In any event: How I switched to xfce:
1) # yum groupinstall Xfce # caps matters
2) logout
3) select (or type) username in the display manager
4) change session type to "Xfce"
5) enter password and log in

When the Xfce "firstrun dialogue" shows up, I recommend going with the
default setup, then,

To find an application:
1) Click the magnifying glass in the bottom panel
2) Select category, or just start typing for auto search completion

Voila. Personally, I find Xfce to be handier than even Gnome 2.

Hope that helps.

-Scott

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Roger

The problem you are experiencing would probably be annoying to
anyone/everyone but with the lack of responses not very widespread.
Can we all assume that you've booted into the previous kernel and
confirmed that it continues to function correctly?

Yes, that's correct.
Roger

Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Ed Greshko

On 02/19/2012 03:36 PM, Roger wrote:
> Can we all assume that you've booted into the previous kernel and
> confirmed that it continues to function correctly?
>
> Yes, that's correct.

OK.... Well, in your second message on this subject you said: "Thanks
but the mouse is not functional when this happen".

So, my second question would be.... does this happen from the very
start of your session or does the problem happen after a while when running?

What type of mouse do you have? USB/PS2/Bluetooth?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Roger

Can we all assume that you've booted into the previous kernel and
confirmed that it continues to function correctly?

Yes, that's correct.

OK.... Well, in your second message on this subject you said: "Thanks
but the mouse is not functional when this happen".

So, my second question would be.... does this happen from the very
start of your session or does the problem happen after a while when running?

What type of mouse do you have? USB/PS2/Bluetooth?

Mouse. Wireless mouse and keyboard with the receiver plugged into a usb
port at the back of the pc.
When. After any app is started, any time after log in, no observable
similar time delays before failure.

I can use the mouse to click on the X button of Firefox, Gimp, terminal,
etc, any app I start, no matter where I move the mouse the pointer moves
but the app/s remains and no other selection can be made anywhere on
the Gnome3 desktop.

When I say the mouse is not functional I should explain. The mouse
cursor moves as I move the mouse but I cannot start or stop any other apps.

With previous kernel and in Ubuntu the problem does not exist.

Roger