Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default xsane problem -

This is a new install F-16/64 recently updated. Xsane is unable to
detect the HP Scanjet 5370c scanner. Reports "no devices available."

It appears to be detected as a USB device:

[bobg@box6 ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse
(4-button)
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:0701 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300c/5370c

I do not usually have trouble getting this scanner working, normally
just yum install xsane and it's ready to go. Not so today however
and of course I needed it working half an hour ago!

Need help troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Bob

.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Konstantin Svist

[...]

I would check for other sane packages - some have device drivers.
Install them all to be sure

Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 PM

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 06:28:27PM -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> This is a new install F-16/64 recently updated. Xsane is unable to
> detect the HP Scanjet 5370c scanner. Reports "no devices available."
>
> It appears to be detected as a USB device:
>
> [bobg@box6 ~]$ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse
> (4-button)
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:0701 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300c/5370c
>
> I do not usually have trouble getting this scanner working, normally
> just yum install xsane and it's ready to go. Not so today however
> and of course I needed it working half an hour ago!
>
> Need help troubleshooting.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

See if xsane works when started as root from the cli. If so, you can change
the permissions for dev/bus/usb/002/002 to make it visible to xsane. HTH.

Terry

Old 02-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Bob Goodwin

[...]

Ok, I've installed all I can find under xsane and scanner drivers in
yumex and still get "no device available" on both F-16/64 computers.
I installed xsane on the second computer just to be sure it's not
peculiar to this one.

And I tried running as root, it produces a warning not to, doing it
anyway yields the same result, no device available

I suppose the scanner could have failed but it was working not long
ago with F-15.

Am I the only one unable to run an HP scanner on Fedora-16? My
installs are from a live USB/xfce version but I have been doing it
that way for some time without any problems.

Bob

Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Feb 17, 2012 4:28 PM, "Bob Goodwin" <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> * This is a new install F-16/64 recently updated. Xsane is unable to

> * detect the HP Scanjet 5370c scanner. Reports "no devices available."

> * It appears to be detected as a USB device:

> * * * [bobg@box6 ~]$ lsusb

> * * * Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

> * * * Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

> * * * Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

> * * * Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

> * * * Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

> * * * Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse

> * * * (4-button)

> * * * Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:0701 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300c/5370c

> * I do not usually have trouble getting this scanner working, normally

> * just yum install xsane and it's ready to go. Not so today however

> * and of course I needed it working half an hour ago!

> * Need help troubleshooting.

Try installing the 'hplip' and 'hplip-gui' packages, then run the `hp-setup` utility.

I recently set up an HP combination scanner/printer, and while CUPS picked up the printer the second I plugged it in, the scanner needed that to work.

HTH.

-T.C.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Paul Allen Newell