Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Heinz Diehl

Default Fedora unusually unstable recently?

On 17.02.2012, Terry Polzin wrote:

> XFCE has been rock solid on my two machines.

+1

Btw: most of the crashes in Linux systems are somehow related to X..

Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
suvayu ali

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:23, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> The trouble is that lots of rpms
> (conky, NetworkManager-gtk, etc) are made dependent on gtk3 or
> gnome-toolkits, so I have no choice but to pull this in.

Are you sure about conky? I don't think conky requires gtk3.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:22:44 +0100 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu
+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 21:23, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> > The trouble is that lots of rpms
> > (conky, NetworkManager-gtk, etc) are made dependent on gtk3 or
> > gnome-toolkits, so I have no choice but to pull this in.
>
> Are you sure about conky? I don't think conky requires gtk3.

sudo yum erase gtk3 pulls out a lot of stuff, including eventually
conky.....

sudo yum erase gtk3

Removing:
gtk3 x86_64 3.2.3-1.fc16
Removing for dependencies:
NetworkManager-gnome x86_64 1:0.9.2-1.fc16
NetworkManager-gtk x86_64 1:0.9.2-1.fc16
adwaita-gtk3-theme x86_64 3.2.1-2.fc16
audacious-libs x86_64 3.0.4-1.fc16
batti noarch 0.3.8-2.fc15
bluez x86_64 4.96-3.fc16
bluez-compat x86_64 4.96-3.fc16
bluez-hid2hci x86_64 4.96-3.fc16
cheese-libs x86_64 1:3.2.2-1.fc16
clutter-gtk x86_64 1.0.4-1.fc16
conky x86_64 1.8.1-2.fc15
control-center x86_64 1:3.2.2-1.fc16
eekboard x86_64 1.0.5-1.fc16
eekboard-libs x86_64 1.0.5-1.fc16
eekboard-python x86_64 1.0.5-1.fc16
firefox x86_64 10.0.1-1.fc16
gnome-bluetooth x86_64 1:3.2.2-1.fc16
gnome-bluetooth-libs x86_64 1:3.2.2-1.fc16
gnome-color-manager x86_64 3.2.2-1.fc16
gnome-desktop3 x86_64 3.2.1-2.fc16
gnome-keyring x86_64 3.2.1-3.fc16
gnome-keyring-pam x86_64 3.2.1-3.fc16
gnome-online-accounts x86_64 3.2.1-2.fc16
gnome-python2-gnomekeyring x86_64 2.32.0-5.fc16
gnome-settings-daemon x86_64 3.2.2-1.fc16
gnome-themes-standard x86_64 3.2.1-2.fc16
gtk3-devel x86_64 3.2.3-1.fc16
gtk3-immodule-xim x86_64 3.2.3-1.fc16
ibus x86_64 1.4.0-17.fc16

Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
suvayu ali

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:46, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
>> Are you sure about conky? I don't think conky requires gtk3.
>>

> sudo yum erase gtk3 pulls out a lot of stuff, including eventually
> conky.....
>

> sudo yum erase gtk3

Very weird, on second thought maybe its because you can run conky in
windowed mode too.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:13:38 +0100 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu
+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:46, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> >> Are you sure about conky? I don't think conky requires gtk3.
> >>

> > sudo yum erase gtk3 pulls out a lot of stuff, including eventually
> > conky.....
> >

> > sudo yum erase gtk3
>
> Very weird, on second thought maybe its because you can run conky in
> windowed mode too.

Or it could be that it is dependent on something else that depends on
gtk3 by accident?

Ranjan

Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:42, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:13:38 +0100 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu
> +linux@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > sudo yum erase gtk3 pulls out a lot of stuff, including eventually
>> > conky.....
>> >

>> > sudo yum erase gtk3
>>
>> Very weird, on second thought maybe its because you can run conky in
>> windowed mode too.
>
> Or it could be that it is dependent on something else that depends on
> gtk3 by accident?

Doesn't look like it.

$ rpm -qR conky | grep -i gtk
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
$ rpm -q --whatprovides "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0()(64bit)"
gtk2-2.24.8-3.fc16.x86_64

From the other dependencies I couldn't see any obvious ones that could
pull in gtk3.

The weird world of dependencies!