Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

Default Fedora unusually unstable recently?

I have no idea what is going on, but since my last batch of updates (about 2 days ago now), F16 has been crashing repeatedly. Often, this will happen when moving windows between workspaces, other times it will just happen randomly. Sometimes I am kicked out to the login screen, but most of the time I will just get a hard freeze forcing a physical reboot.

Anyone else had similar issues? Any workarounds?
// Chris

Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

Clarification: the subject is of course not implying that Fedora is usually unstable, it is one of the most robust OS:s to date.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Terry Polzin

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 20:34 +0100, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> Clarification: the subject is of course not implying that Fedora is
> usually unstable, it is one of the most robust OS:s to date.
>
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Christopher Svanefalk
> <christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no idea what is going on, but since my last batch of
> updates (about 2 days ago now), F16 has been crashing
> repeatedly. Often, this will happen when moving windows
> between workspaces, other times it will just happen randomly.
> Sometimes I am kicked out to the login screen, but most of the
> time I will just get a hard freeze forcing a physical reboot.
>

> Anyone else had similar issues? Any workarounds?
>

> // Chris

XFCE has been rock solid on my two machines.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:34:36 +0100 Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Clarification: the subject is of course not implying that Fedora is usually
> unstable, it is one of the most robust OS:s to date.
>
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Christopher Svanefalk <
> christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what is going on, but since my last batch of updates (about
> > 2 days ago now), F16 has been crashing repeatedly. Often, this will happen
> > when moving windows between workspaces, other times it will just happen
> > randomly. Sometimes I am kicked out to the login screen, but most of the
> > time I will just get a hard freeze forcing a physical reboot.
> >
> > Anyone else had similar issues? Any workarounds?

Same here: earlier today, someone (can't recall who, and I did not save
the message) mentioned on the ML that gtk3 is the culprit. Perhaps an
update pushed recently may fix the problem. I hope so.

HTH,
Ranjan

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:08:44 -0500 Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 20:34 +0100, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> > Clarification: the subject is of course not implying that Fedora is
> > usually unstable, it is one of the most robust OS:s to date.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Christopher Svanefalk
> > <christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have no idea what is going on, but since my last batch of
> > updates (about 2 days ago now), F16 has been crashing
> > repeatedly. Often, this will happen when moving windows
> > between workspaces, other times it will just happen randomly.
> > Sometimes I am kicked out to the login screen, but most of the
> > time I will just get a hard freeze forcing a physical reboot.
> >

> > Anyone else had similar issues? Any workarounds?
> >

> > // Chris
> >

> XFCE has been rock solid on my two machines.

Do you have gtk3 installed? If so, then that is not the culprit.

I do not use gnome, relying on LXDE. The trouble is that lots of rpms
(conky, NetworkManager-gtk, etc) are made dependent on gtk3 or
gnome-toolkits, so I have no choice but to pull this in.

Ranjan