Old 02-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Ranjan Maitra

Default F16 - Crashtastic

I have had a similar problem since late Tuesday, actually. There is no
real pattern to it. I was not aware of ctrl-alt-bksp working. Pretty
much, I can move the mouse but nothing else. Typing does not do
much.....I was originally blaming the graphics card (ATI FireGL AGP)
but I am not sure about that anymore....no clue how to tell what is
going on, as with you.....the frequency became much worse today....

Ranjan

Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:24:59 -0800, JW (John) wrote:

> My F16 - Gnome box has developed an ugly bug today with the latest
> updates (from updates-testing).
>
> Randomly, but very frequently, when I close a window, the windowing
> system hangs. I can move the mouse, and ctrl-alt-bksp works to kill X
> and restart GDM. Nothing interesting in the X log file. All other window
> actions like minimize and maximize work fine.
>
> I'd like to report a bug, but I'm not sure where to point the finger.
> Can someone suggest a method of identifying the buggy program so I can
> report it?

Too many packages from updates-testing? Or would it be feasible to
"yum history undo…" the latest updates and then reapply them in smaller
groups to narrow it down?
Alternatively, "yum distro-sync --disablerepo=updates-testing" can be
helpful to revert, especially if you believe you cannot reproduce the
problem prior to installing test-updates.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:35:43 +0100 Michael Schwendt
<mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:24:59 -0800, JW (John) wrote:
>
> > My F16 - Gnome box has developed an ugly bug today with the latest
> > updates (from updates-testing).
> >
> > Randomly, but very frequently, when I close a window, the windowing
> > system hangs. I can move the mouse, and ctrl-alt-bksp works to kill X
> > and restart GDM. Nothing interesting in the X log file. All other window
> > actions like minimize and maximize work fine.
> >
> > I'd like to report a bug, but I'm not sure where to point the finger.
> > Can someone suggest a method of identifying the buggy program so I can
> > report it?
>
> Too many packages from updates-testing? Or would it be feasible to
> "yum history undo…" the latest updates and then reapply them in smaller
> groups to narrow it down?
> Alternatively, "yum distro-sync --disablerepo=updates-testing" can be
> helpful to revert, especially if you believe you cannot reproduce the
> problem prior to installing test-updates.
> --

HI,

Just to mention, I don't download from the updates-testing repo, so how
will this help?

Ranjan

Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM, John Wendel <jwendel10@comcast.net> wrote:
> My F16 - Gnome box has developed an ugly bug today with the latest updates
> (from updates-testing).
>
> Randomly, but very frequently, when I close a window, the windowing system
> hangs. I can move the mouse, and ctrl-alt-bksp works to kill X and restart
> GDM. Nothing interesting in the X log file. All other window actions like
> minimize and maximize work fine.
>
> I'd like to report a bug, but I'm not sure where to point the finger. *Can
> someone suggest a method of identifying the buggy program so I can report
> it?

Someone reported freezing due to gtk3-3.2.3-2 in Bodhi earlier today:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2012-1720/gtk3-3.2.3-2.fc16

That's probably the culprit.

-T.C.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:32:18 -0600, RM (Ranjan) wrote:

> > On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:24:59 -0800, JW (John) wrote:
> >
> > > My F16 - Gnome box has developed an ugly bug today with the latest
> > > updates (from updates-testing).
> > >
> > > Randomly, but very frequently, when I close a window, the windowing
> > > system hangs. I can move the mouse, and ctrl-alt-bksp works to kill X
> > > and restart GDM. Nothing interesting in the X log file. All other window
> > > actions like minimize and maximize work fine.
> > >
> > > I'd like to report a bug, but I'm not sure where to point the finger.
> > > Can someone suggest a method of identifying the buggy program so I can
> > > report it?
> >
> > Too many packages from updates-testing? Or would it be feasible to
> > "yum history undo…" the latest updates and then reapply them in smaller
> > groups to narrow it down?
> > Alternatively, "yum distro-sync --disablerepo=updates-testing" can be
> > helpful to revert, especially if you believe you cannot reproduce the
> > problem prior to installing test-updates.
> > --
>
> HI,
>
> Just to mention, I don't download from the updates-testing repo, so how
> will this help?

The original poster, John, mentioned "updates-testing". I replied to his
thread and don't know your particular scenario.

But even if not installing any test updates, you can rollback/uninstall
updates and try to narrow down which one is the culprit. "yum history"
can be helpful.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.0-0.rc3.git6.2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.35 0.54 0.36

Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM
John Wendel

[...]

I backed out all the updates and re-installed them one at a time (
thanks Michael ), testing after each one. Of course, now I can't
reproduce the problem. Is it possible that I picked up a fixed version
of GTK3? Oh well, I'm working again, so I should be happy.

Thanks!

John