Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Greg Woods

Default fuzzed desktop in F16

I don't know how to describe it better; if I bring up windows mode in
GNOME shell, all the icons and fonts on the desktop are blurry and
pixelated. This only happens after a normal login followed by a suspend
or hibernate. Upon resume/thaw, the desktop is fuzzy. Sometimes the
fonts in the top panel are fuzzy too, sometimes not. Fonts inside a
terminal or browser window look fine, so this is only affecting the
panel and desktop.

This is on an x86_64 machine with a fresh install of F16, but preserving
the old home directories from F14 (i.e. prior to Gnome 3). I have
installed all the shell extension packages, but the issue occurs even
with all of them turned off. If I create a brand new user which did not
exist prior to the upgrade, the issue does not occur for that user. It
does occur for two different pre-existing users. This suggests that the
problem is in the conversion of settings (it is odd that I have done
several other machines, both i386's and x86_64's, in a very similar way
without this problem occurring).

So the questions are:

1) Has anyone else seen this;
2) Is there a setting or settings that I can change to fix this; and
3) What dot directories do I need to move out of the way if I want to
start Gnome 3 with a "clean slate"

I know I will probably get stuck with option 3) even though it will be a
big hassle to recreate all the settings, but having hibernate/suspend
not work is even more of a hassle.

Thanks in advance,
--Greg

P.S. Why does this happen only with my wife's desktop and not mine? :-)

Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Pete Travis

On Feb 16, 2012 7:52 AM, "Greg Woods" <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:

> I don't know how to describe it better; if I bring up windows mode in

> GNOME shell, all the icons and fonts on the desktop are blurry and

> pixelated. This only happens after a normal login followed by a suspend

> or hibernate. Upon resume/thaw, the desktop is fuzzy. Sometimes the

> fonts in the top panel are fuzzy too, sometimes not. Fonts inside a

> terminal or browser window look fine, so this is only affecting the

> panel and desktop.

> This is on an x86_64 machine with a fresh install of F16, but preserving

> the old home directories from F14 (i.e. prior to Gnome 3). I have

> installed all the shell extension packages, but the issue occurs even

> with all of them turned off. If I create a brand new user which did not

> exist prior to the upgrade, the issue does not occur for that user. It

> does occur for two different pre-existing users. This suggests that the

> problem is in the conversion of settings (it is odd that I have done

> several other machines, both i386's and x86_64's, in a very similar way

> without this problem occurring).

> So the questions are:

> 1) Has anyone else seen this;

> 2) Is there a setting or settings that I can change to fix this; and

> 3) What dot directories do I need to move out of the way if I want to

> start Gnome 3 with a "clean slate"

> I know I will probably get stuck with option 3) even though it will be a

> big hassle to recreate all the settings, but having hibernate/suspend

> not work is even more of a hassle.

> Thanks in advance,

> --Greg

> P.S. Why does this happen only with my wife's desktop and not mine? :-)

Per item 3, try creating a new user to test.

I have a feeling this is a suspend issue, albeit a strange one I may not be competent with.* What video hardware and driver is in use on this box?

BTW, you might enjoy extensions.gnome.org;* requires firefox last time I checked.

--pete

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Greg Woods

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 14:18 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2012 7:52 AM, "Greg Woods" <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I don't know how to describe it better; if I bring up windows mode
> in
> > GNOME shell, all the icons and fonts on the desktop are blurry and
> > pixelated. This only happens after a normal login followed by a
> suspend
> > or hibernate.

> Per item 3, try creating a new user to test.

As I mentioned in the original post, I did that. The new user does not
have the issue.

> I have a feeling this is a suspend issue, albeit a strange one I may
> not be competent with. What video hardware and driver is in use on
> this box?

It is using the nvidia blob. I suppose I could try it with nouveau to
see if it still occurs, but at some point I will need VDPAU on this box
which means I will have to get the nvidia blob to work (assuming that
proves to be where the problem lies). But if it's the driver, why does
it work for a new user?

Does anyone know which dot directory(s) I would need to clear out in
order to start Gnome3 with a clean slate?

> BTW, you might enjoy extensions.gnome.org

So far I have only installed the gnome-shell-extensions* RPMs, all of
which came from fedora or fedora-updates repo.

--Greg

Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Kevin Martin

On 02/16/2012 03:44 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 14:18 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2012 7:52 AM, "Greg Woods" <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:
>>> I don't know how to describe it better; if I bring up windows mode
>> in
>>> GNOME shell, all the icons and fonts on the desktop are blurry and
>>> pixelated. This only happens after a normal login followed by a
>> suspend
>>> or hibernate.
>> Per item 3, try creating a new user to test.
> As I mentioned in the original post, I did that. The new user does not
> have the issue.
>
>> I have a feeling this is a suspend issue, albeit a strange one I may
>> not be competent with. What video hardware and driver is in use on
>> this box?
> It is using the nvidia blob. I suppose I could try it with nouveau to
> see if it still occurs, but at some point I will need VDPAU on this box
> which means I will have to get the nvidia blob to work (assuming that
> proves to be where the problem lies). But if it's the driver, why does
> it work for a new user?
>
> Does anyone know which dot directory(s) I would need to clear out in
> order to start Gnome3 with a clean slate?
>

>> BTW, you might enjoy extensions.gnome.org
> So far I have only installed the gnome-shell-extensions* RPMs, all of
> which came from fedora or fedora-updates repo.
>
> --Greg

I don't think it's a Gnome issue per se. I saw this occasionally under LXDE and still today under XFCE. I primarily see it in
Thunderbird and Firefox (typically in the Tab headings) and it normally clears when I click on the tab. Perhaps what I'm seeing is
something peculiar to some extension I have in Thunderbird and/or Firefox. I don't know for sure. It's never bothered me enough to
try to determine what is happening since it clears when I "refresh" the tab.

Kevin

Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Pete Travis

On Feb 16, 2012 2:44 PM, "Greg Woods" <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 14:18 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:

> > On Feb 16, 2012 7:52 AM, "Greg Woods" <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:

> > > I don't know how to describe it better; if I bring up windows mode

> > in

> > > GNOME shell, all the icons and fonts on the desktop are blurry and

> > > pixelated. This only happens after a normal login followed by a

> > suspend

> > > or hibernate.

> > Per item 3, try creating a new user to test.

> As I mentioned in the original post, I did that. The new user does not

> have the issue.

> > I have a feeling this is a suspend issue, albeit a strange one I may

> > not be competent with. *What video hardware and driver is in use on

> > this box?

> It is using the nvidia blob. I suppose I could try it with nouveau to

> see if it still occurs, but at some point I will need VDPAU on this box

> which means I will have to get the nvidia blob to work (assuming that

> proves to be where the problem lies). But if it's the driver, why does

> it work for a new user?

> Does anyone know which dot directory(s) I would need to clear out in

> order to start Gnome3 with a clean slate?

> > BTW, you might enjoy extensions.gnome.org

> So far I have only installed the gnome-shell-extensions* RPMs, all of

> which came from fedora or fedora-updates repo.

> --Greg

Sorry Greg, posting while distracted.* I reread, and thought I had caught my message before it left the outbox.