Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Emilio Lopez

Default Recovery mode. Login as root without password

Hello,

If I select recovery in grub menu, Fedora starts as root without
asking for password. Is this the expected behavior?

Emilio.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Jake Shipton

Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Emilio Lopez <emiliollbb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I select recovery in grub menu, Fedora starts as root without
> asking for password. Is this the expected behavior?

Yes. You can password protect it by changing SINGLE to
'/sbin/sushell' in /etc/sysconfig/init.

But then, a determined user could add "init=/bin/bash" to the kernel
command line and get around it. Setting a GRUB password moves the
goal post to requiring a Live CD, while secure boot moves it to
ripping the hard drive out of the machine.

If someone has physical access to the machine, you've already lost.

-T.C.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Patrick Lists