Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Matthew Saltzman

Default CORBA errors on GNOME login

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 12:45 -0700, Les wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 15:36 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > Running GNOME in fully updated F8 on a dual-core x86_64. When I log in,
> > several apps or applets produce pop-up error boxes with the following
> > text:
> >
> > An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
> > information for <applet>. Some of your configuration settings
> > may not work properly.
> >
> > Clicking the "details" button produces one to several occurrences of the
> > message:
> >
> > Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
> > IDLmg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
> >
> > This started a while back, and it would occur on the first login after
> > boot, but subsequent logins would work fine. More recently, it's
> > started happening on every login. The applets that produce the error
> > vary, but they include
> >
> > - Power Manager
> > - gnome-terminal
> > - Evolution's calendar/alarm app
> > - nm-applet
> >
> > and others.
> >
> > Anybody have a clue what's going on? Which component should I BZ?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Saltzman
> Have you attempted to create a new user to see if a new account
> experiences the same issue? In my experience,
> such failures are the result of a memory flaw, either hardware or a
> program that is overwriting system memory some how due to a bad
> malloc/free frame. It need not be any of the programs you are currently
> running, because such an error only manifests when the affected system
> routine or memory is accessed again.

Interesting. I ran a pass of Memtest86+ and fsck. No errors reported
by either utility, but the CORBA errors have not recurred.

We'll just wait and see.

Thanks for the tip.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 07:53 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 12:45 -0700, Les wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 15:36 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > > Running GNOME in fully updated F8 on a dual-core x86_64. When I log in,
> > > several apps or applets produce pop-up error boxes with the following
> > > text:
> > >
> > > An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
> > > information for <applet>. Some of your configuration settings
> > > may not work properly.
> > >
> > > Clicking the "details" button produces one to several occurrences of the
> > > message:
> > >
> > > Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
> > > IDLmg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
> > >
> > > This started a while back, and it would occur on the first login after
> > > boot, but subsequent logins would work fine. More recently, it's
> > > started happening on every login. The applets that produce the error
> > > vary, but they include
> > >
> > > - Power Manager
> > > - gnome-terminal
> > > - Evolution's calendar/alarm app
> > > - nm-applet
> > >
> > > and others.
> > >
> > > Anybody have a clue what's going on? Which component should I BZ?
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Matthew Saltzman
> > Have you attempted to create a new user to see if a new account
> > experiences the same issue? In my experience,
> > such failures are the result of a memory flaw, either hardware or a
> > program that is overwriting system memory some how due to a bad
> > malloc/free frame. It need not be any of the programs you are currently
> > running, because such an error only manifests when the affected system
> > routine or memory is accessed again.
>
> Interesting. I ran a pass of Memtest86+ and fsck. No errors reported
> by either utility, but the CORBA errors have not recurred.
>
> We'll just wait and see.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

So finally, I opened System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Sessions, and
I discovered a couple hundred krb5-auth-dialog processes. I killed them
all (but one), and saved the session. Now login happens much faster and
there don't seem to be CORBA errors.

Still a mystery: How did all those processes get there?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:05 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 16:42 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> So finally, I opened System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Sessions, and
> I discovered a couple hundred krb5-auth-dialog processes. I killed them
> all (but one), and saved the session. Now login happens much faster and
> there don't seem to be CORBA errors.
>
> Still a mystery: How did all those processes get there?

Are you saving your sessions on log-out (either manually or
automatically). If so, perhaps that's where the fault is creeping in.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 13:35 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 16:42 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > So finally, I opened System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Sessions, and
> > I discovered a couple hundred krb5-auth-dialog processes. I killed them
> > all (but one), and saved the session. Now login happens much faster and
> > there don't seem to be CORBA errors.
> >
> > Still a mystery: How did all those processes get there?
>
> Are you saving your sessions on log-out (either manually or
> automatically). If so, perhaps that's where the fault is creeping in.

I am, in fact. That may explain why active ones are being preserved,
but doesn't explain what keeps starting them, or why they don't die when
finished.

Something to think about, though. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> Are you saving your sessions on log-out (either manually or
>> automatically). If so, perhaps that's where the fault is creeping
>> in.

Matthew Saltzman:
> I am, in fact. That may explain why active ones are being preserved,
> but doesn't explain what keeps starting them, or why they don't die
> when finished.

Hmm, while I don't know about the CORBA issue, have you now gone through
your sessions preferences, and removed any saved ones? (So you don't
start them again, next time.)

Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 16:17 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> Are you saving your sessions on log-out (either manually or
> >> automatically). If so, perhaps that's where the fault is creeping
> >> in.
>
> Matthew Saltzman:
> > I am, in fact. That may explain why active ones are being preserved,
> > but doesn't explain what keeps starting them, or why they don't die
> > when finished.
>
> Hmm, while I don't know about the CORBA issue, have you now gone through
> your sessions preferences, and removed any saved ones? (So you don't
> start them again, next time.)

Yes, there is only one krb5-auth-dialog entry in session preferences now
(and it was not grouped with the ones I deleted, which appeared together
in the list).

I just checked my other F8 system and there were a bunch of extra
krb5-auth-dialog processes listed in the session preferences. In the
State field, they all (but one) had an "unplugged" icon. The remaining
one (not grouped with the others had a "life preserver" icon.
Apparently, not enough were running to slow the login process, though.

I'll keep an eye on that now and see if the number grows and if I can
figure out why.