Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Beartooth

Default F16 full of dupes

I tried to do preupgrade on a System76 netbook running F14. It
failed repeatedly, either complaining that I had to go release by
release, which I had told it to do -- or offering to boot F15 on the grub
splash, but failing.

I got out my old F16 install disk, from about two weeks after the
release, and told it to upgrade. It did, and I did yum update
immediately.

That failed, complaining of numerous duplicates, and I ran "yum
clean all," and tried again with --skip-broken.

That failed, too, this time complaining of lots of "Protected
multilib versions."

I ran "rpm --rebuilddb," then "yum clean all" again, then another
plain "yum update." That also failed, ending with a mixture of "missing
requires" and "duplicate."

I know there's a command for dealing with orphans, and I presume
one for duplicates. But I can't remember it, alas!

I called up "man:rpm" and man:yum" in Konqueror, finding both
pages over my head and monumental besides.

I did spot "yum check duplicates," and tried that. There are so
many that I can't scroll all the way back up; but most seem to be the
same package except for f14 on one and f15 on the other.

Can I do "you remove duplicates" or "yum remove *f14*" or
something?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User

Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM
FRank Murphy

Can I do "you remove duplicates" or "yum remove *f14*" or
something?

package-cleanup --cleandupes

--
Regards
FRank

Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Fedora User

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:48:37 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> That failed, too, this time complaining of lots of "Protected
> multilib versions."

I'm pretty sure that means that you have competing versions - 32 bit
vs. 64 bit. Do you have WINE installed ion a 64 bit environment? If so,
did you try removing it and all of the i686 packages?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Joe Zeff

On 02/15/2012 07:48 AM, Beartooth wrote:

I did spot "yum check duplicates," and tried that. There are so
many that I can't scroll all the way back up; but most seem to be the
same package except for f14 on one and f15 on the other.

yum check duplicates > tee dupes.txt

Will let you look at the output and keep it in a text file.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Beartooth

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:15:55 -0500, Fedora User wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:48:37 +0000 (UTC)
> Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> That failed, too, this time complaining of lots of "Protected
>> multilib versions."
>>
> I'm pretty sure that means that you have competing versions - 32 bit vs.
> 64 bit. Do you have WINE installed ion a 64 bit environment? If so,
> did you try removing it and all of the i686 packages?

Removing wine was easy; but now how do I remove the i686 stuff?
"yum remove *i686*"?? "yum remove *wine*686*"??

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User

Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Fedora User

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:02:40 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:15:55 -0500, Fedora User wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:48:37 +0000 (UTC)
> > Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> >> That failed, too, this time complaining of lots of
> >> "Protected multilib versions."
> >>
> > I'm pretty sure that means that you have competing versions - 32
> > bit vs. 64 bit. Do you have WINE installed ion a 64 bit
> > environment? If so, did you try removing it and all of the i686
> > packages?
>
> Removing wine was easy; but now how do I remove the i686
> stuff? "yum remove *i686*"?? "yum remove *wine*686*"??

If you used yum to remove wine then you need not repeat.
yum remove *i686 - I assumed that you installed Fedora 64bit.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Ian Malone

On 16 February 2012 04:40, Fedora User <fedoradch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:02:40 +0000 (UTC)
> Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:15:55 -0500, Fedora User wrote:

>> > I'm pretty sure that means that you have competing versions - 32
>> > bit vs. 64 bit. Do you have WINE installed ion a 64 bit
>> > environment? If so, did you try removing it and all of the i686
>> > packages?
>>
>> * * * Removing wine was easy; but now how do I remove the i686
>> stuff? "yum remove *i686*"?? "yum remove *wine*686*"??
>>
> If you used yum to remove wine then you need not repeat.
> yum remove *i686 - I assumed that you installed Fedora 64bit.

I've had this happen after upgrades before and, while getting rid of
multi-lib versions can help reduce the reported count it's not the
real problem (you should be able to have 32 and 64bit versions of most
things except applications installed). What it usually is is that some
package has been obsoleted by Fedora, but not removed by the upgrade,
and it's sitting on your system requiring an old version of a package
that still exists. I don't know a good way to fix this automatically
(especially as sometimes you want to keep it, e.g. volume mixer
controls for which there is no longer a good alternative in the repos,
and some packages which are current will still have older fcXX in
their name due to not having changed). The thing to do is trace back
dependencies on packages that are complaining about duplicates and
find out what fc1-fc15 package is sitting at the top of that tree and
whether it still exists in Fedora.

--
imalone