Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Mike C

Default BBC news 24 video in F8?

Does anyone (mainly in the UK) get BBC news 24 video to play nicely in F8.

I can go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/ and click on the BBC news 24 link near
the top of the page. It plays in the new window that pops up with repeated
flashing green on the image. I have Real_10 installed and select to play
in Real 10.

I also have mplayer installed, and VLC.

However once the video is playing I can select to "launch in stand alone
player" and on one machine this works ok but on another machine with
an nvidia graphics card (and using kmod-nvidia) the colours are wrong
with green and red hues in the wrong places!

Does anyone have a link to a how-to for playing BBC news video in F8
that I could try?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Ian Malone

Mike C wrote:

Does anyone (mainly in the UK) get BBC news 24 video to play nicely in F8.

I can go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/ and click on the BBC news 24 link near
the top of the page. It plays in the new window that pops up with repeated
flashing green on the image. I have Real_10 installed and select to play
in Real 10.

I also have mplayer installed, and VLC.

However once the video is playing I can select to "launch in stand alone
player" and on one machine this works ok but on another machine with
an nvidia graphics card (and using kmod-nvidia) the colours are wrong

with green and red hues in the wrong places!

Does anyone have a link to a how-to for playing BBC news video in F8
that I could try?

Afraid not, until recently it had been broken for a fairly long time (as
they do some funny javascript controls for the embedded player).
However, you can try running realplayer, then going to
preferences|hardware and turning 'use XVideo' off (or on, whichever
applies), then closing it and trying the BBC stream again. On FC6 this
works for me with an nvidia display.

If that doesn't work you could try a nightly build realplayer; see
http://forms.helixcommunity.org/helix/builds/ current, and the
linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586@rhel4 and linux-2.6-glibc23-amd64 options
(i586 is probably a better bet, even on x86_64). You should make a note
of whatever sound settings you're using at the moment before trying that
though, as the nightly builds don't agree with Pulseaudio.

--
imalone