Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Fedora User

Default No sound -

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:05:28 -0500
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> Suggestions?
>
> Bob

Try the "messy" PA solution that I posted earlier in the day. Sometimes
things that work for me actually work for other people.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 AM
stan

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:05:28 -0500
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> I have two F-16/64 bit computers that have sound problems. The
> second one has no sound at all.
>
> I can see sound moving the indicator trace in PA Volume Output
> Devices but it does not get to ALSA.
>
> PA sees no sound card at all, just a dummy. PA vol. configuration
> has nothing to select.
>
> Neither computer had a sound problem with F-15.
>
> My problems appear to be similar to those of Patrick Dupre.
>
> Alsamixer shows the sound card as "HDA Intel" but it is not "seen"
> by PA.

HDA Intel is a generic name for the type of card, sort of like tissue
is generic, whereas Kleenex says it is manufactured by a specific
corp. aplay -lv will tell you that corp name and model, and the alsa
driver name.

> blacklist.conf is:
No problems here.

> Suggestions?

If you type, in a console, aplay some.wav , do you hear sound?
You have to replace some.wav with an actual wav file, but this sends
sound directly to alsa, and should work on both your machines.

So alsa is recognizing your card but PA isn't able to use it. Do you
have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed. That sets alsa to use PA as its
dafault output mode.

You could try reinstalling PA to see if it will correct the sound
configuration (or uninstalling and then installing again).

Beyond that, you need someone knowledgeable in PA, and that isn't me.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Bob Goodwin

[...]

[bobg@box9 ~]$ aplay -lv
aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found...

I usually test sound with:

[bobg@box9 ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav' : Signed 16
bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo

However in this case no audible sound is produced.

Also as was suggested in the past I can run "pacmd info" and see the following:

... snip ...
1 sink(s) available.
* index: 0
name: <auto_null>
driver: <module-null-sink.c>
flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY FLAT_VOLUME DYNAMIC_LATENCY
state: SUSPENDED
suspend cause: IDLE
priority: 1000
volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
0: 0.00 dB 1: 0.00 dB
balance 0.00
base volume: 100%
0.00 dB
volume steps: 65537
muted: no
current latency: 0.00 ms
max request: 1722 KiB
max rewind: 1722 KiB
monitor source: 0
sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
channel map: front-left,front-right
Stereo
used by: 0
linked by: 0
configured latency: 0.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 10000.00 ms
module: 10
properties:
device.description = "Dummy Output"
device.class = "abstract"
device.icon_name = "audio-card"
... snip ...

I'm not sure how to interpret this but there's that "Dummy Output"
again!

So alsa is recognizing your card but PA isn't able to use it. Do you
have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed. That sets alsa to use PA as its
dafault output mode.

"alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" removed and reinstalled using Yumex as a
matter of convenience.

You could try reinstalling PA to see if it will correct the sound
configuration (or uninstalling and then installing again).

Perhaps re-installing PA will help, but I'll wait 'til later to try
that, it was three in the morning here and I just got up wanting a
cup of coffee. I think I'll see if there is any response to this
data first.

Beyond that, you need someone knowledgeable in PA, and that isn't me.

I thank you for your help.

Bob

Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Bob Goodwin