Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Fedora User

Default Messy PulseAudio Solution

In Pulse v. Me, this is just some trial and error. YMMV

The symptom is not being able to select the correct audio output device.

What seems to work is, from root, pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio -D

Pulse will kvetch about running from root (I DID say that it is messy).

Gnome-control-center: The proper card is selected.

KDE system settings: The device list is replaced with "Pulseaudio Sound
Server" while all of the options are available in "Audio Hardware Setup"

Given that I have a rather recent laptop (i5 w/Intel sound) I
suspect that this is a pervasive problem. "Messy" beats pulling hair.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Joe Zeff

What seems to work is, from root, pulseaudio --kill&& pulseaudio -D

Pulse will kvetch about running from root (I DID say that it is messy).

What happens if you don't do this as root?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Konstantin Svist

In Pulse v. Me, this is just some trial and error. YMMV

The symptom is not being able to select the correct audio output device.

What seems to work is, from root, pulseaudio --kill&& pulseaudio -D

Pulse will kvetch about running from root (I DID say that it is messy).

Gnome-control-center: The proper card is selected.

KDE system settings: The device list is replaced with "Pulseaudio Sound
Server" while all of the options are available in "Audio Hardware Setup"

Given that I have a rather recent laptop (i5 w/Intel sound) I
suspect that this is a pervasive problem. "Messy" beats pulling hair.

It doesn't usually break for me, but when it does I run (as normal user):
$ pulseaudio -k
$ pulseaudio

and that's it...

Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Fedora User

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:59:35 -0800
Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 02/14/2012 11:42 AM, Fedora User wrote:
> > What seems to work is, from root, pulseaudio --kill&& pulseaudio -D
> >
> > Pulse will kvetch about running from root (I DID say that it is
> > messy).
>
> What happens if you don't do this as root?

Your computer makes challah French toast with cinnamon and sugar.

I tried so much crap I don't even remember but I think that you have to
log in as root to get the correct result.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Emilio Lopez

>The symptom is not being able to select the correct audio output device.
>What seems to work is, from root, pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio -D

The same problem here, but I can do it without root.

Emilio.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Ian Malone

On 15 February 2012 09:15, Emilio Lopez <emiliollbb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>The symptom is not being able to select the correct audio output device.
>>What seems to work is, from root, pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio -D
>
> The same problem here, but I can do it without root.

Yes it's quite strange to have to do it as root and probably a clue as
to whatever the cause is.

--
imalone