Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Beartooth

Default Firefox clogged

I don't know if this is a Firefox (10.0-2.fc16.x86_64) problem,
an xfce problem, or an F16 problem.

I used to have Firefox set as the default browser; and it seems
to think it still is. (I changed it to Midori, but that has not taken
effect.) When I click on a link in Alpine or Pan, Firefox goes to that
site.

But it won't go anywhere else. If I click on any other tab,
nothing visible happens. That's true regardless whether I go to the
workspace where Firefox is already open or click on a link.

I tried yum reinstall firefox, and yum claimed to have done so.
But that didn't help.

I can set a different default browser; but there are a lot of
things I generally do on firefox, so I want it to work, too.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User

Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> * * * *I don't know if this is a Firefox (10.0-2.fc16.x86_64) problem,
> an xfce problem, or an F16 problem.
>
> * * * *I used to have Firefox set as the default browser; and it seems
> to think it still is. (I changed it to Midori, but that has not taken
> effect.) When I click on a link in Alpine or Pan, Firefox goes to that
> site.
>
> * * * *But it won't go anywhere else. If I click on any other tab,
> nothing visible happens. That's true regardless whether I go to the
> workspace where Firefox is already open or click on a link.

Try starting it from the command line and see if you get any error messages.
first close all firefox instances, and then:
$ firefox http://news.google.com &
for example.

> * * * *I tried yum reinstall firefox, and yum claimed to have done so.
> But that didn't help.
>
> * * * *I can set a different default browser; but there are a lot of
> things I generally do on firefox, so I want it to work, too.
>
> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User
> I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.

Dale Dellutri

Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Dale Dellutri

Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Beartooth

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:29:58 -0600, Dale Dellutri wrote:

> Try starting it from the command line and see if you get any error
> messages.
> first close all firefox instances, and then:
> $ firefox http://news.google.com &
> for example.

[bttth@Hbsk3 ~]$ firefox http://news.google.com &
[1] 18349
[bttth@Hbsk3 ~]

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User

Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 14 February 2012 18:25:07 Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:29:58 -0600, Dale Dellutri wrote:
> > Try starting it from the command line and see if you get any error
> > messages.
> >
> > first close all firefox instances, and then:
> > $ firefox http://news.google.com &
> >
> > for example.
>
> [bttth@Hbsk3 ~]$ firefox http://news.google.com &
> [1] 18349
> [bttth@Hbsk3 ~]

Umm, I think Dale meant that without the "&" at the end. Also, it's not the
point to just start it --- I guess you want to start it, try to do something
with it (which you complain that fails), and after that look at any error
messages in the console.

In addition, it might be a good idea to start firefox in safe mode, just to
eliminate the any 3rd party extensions as culprits.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Beartooth

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:52:11 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 February 2012 18:25:07 Beartooth wrote:
[....]
> Umm, I think Dale meant that without the "&" at the end. Also, it's not
> the point to just start it --- I guess you want to start it, try to do
> something with it (which you complain that fails), and after that look
> at any error messages in the console.

I failed to copy one line, showing that it had stopped there. The
& is an old habit.

> In addition, it might be a good idea to start firefox in safe mode, just
> to eliminate the any 3rd party extensions as culprits.

Here it is without the &; I have no idea where the google came
from. I opened a tab, and then another; tried to get back to the first by
clicking on it; and failed.

What means "safe mode"?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User

Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
James Wilkinson

Beartooth wrote:
> I tried yum reinstall firefox, and yum claimed to have done so.
> But that didn't help.

Setting up a new Firefox profile might help. Either run
firefox -p
or rename the ~/.mozilla/firefox directory.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | “It was rare to catch His Holiness at the moment of
aprilcottage.co.uk | transformation into the Infallible Hulk.”

Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 19:13 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> What means "safe mode"?

It means "run Firefox with extensions disabled".

poc

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Richard England

firefox -safe-mode