Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Marko Vojinovic

Default questions about f-16

On Monday 13 February 2012 10:06:25 François Patte wrote:
> 1- I am wondering if I have any chances to use my gnome-2 config if I
> install f-16 on my computers. I can't believe that developpers do not
> care about backward compatibility...

Believe it.

Gnome3 is as different from Gnome2 as KDE4 is different from Gnome2. It's an
entirely new DE, with different organization, structure, workflow, etc. Nothing
is the same except for the name "Gnome".

You're probably best off migrating to XFCE. IIUC, it is most similar DE to the
old Gnome2.

> 2- Are there LTSP packages in f-16

[root@Yoda ~]# yum search ltsp
[snip]
N/S Matched: ltsp
ltsp-client.x86_64 : LTSP client
ltsp-server.x86_64 : LTSP server
ltsp-vmclient.x86_64 : LTSP Virtual Machine Client
ltspfs.x86_64 : LTSP file system, daemon that runs on thin clients
ltspfsd.x86_64 : LTSP file system, userspace FUSE module that runs on a server
vnc-ltsp-config.noarch : Easy Enabler of VNC remote LTSP desktops
k12linux-quick-start-guide.noarch : Quick Start Guide for K12Linux Live LTSP
Server
ldm.x86_64 : LTSP Display Manager
ldminfod.x86_64 : LTSP client

Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 13 February 2012 12:51:57 François Patte wrote:
> Le 13/02/2012 11:55, Marko Vojinovic a écrit :
> > On Monday 13 February 2012 10:06:25 François Patte wrote:
> >> 2- Are there LTSP packages in f-16
> >
> > [root@Yoda ~]# yum search ltsp
> > [snip]
> > =================================
> > N/S Matched: ltsp
> > =================================
> > ltsp-client.x86_64 : LTSP client
> > ltsp-server.x86_64 : LTSP server
> > ltsp-vmclient.x86_64 : LTSP Virtual Machine Client
> > ltspfs.x86_64 : LTSP file system, daemon that runs on thin clients
> > ltspfsd.x86_64 : LTSP file system, userspace FUSE module that runs on a
> > server vnc-ltsp-config.noarch : Easy Enabler of VNC remote LTSP
> > desktops k12linux-quick-start-guide.noarch : Quick Start Guide for
> > K12Linux Live LTSP Server
> > ldm.x86_64 : LTSP Display Manager
> > ldminfod.x86_64 : LTSP client
>
> Is there only x86_64 architecture?

Umm, no, I guess there is also an i686 version of all that. It's just that I
pasted yum output from my F16 machine, which happens to be 64bit. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:06:25 +0100,
François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> 1- I am wondering if I have any chances to use my gnome-2 config if I
> install f-16 on my computers. I can't believe that developpers do not
> care about backward compatibility...

In the short run you can force fallback mode. That is pretty similar to
gnome 2.