Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 AM
"Paul Johnson"

Default iwl3945 improved: led now working!

In case you are avoiding iwl3945 because the LED light doesn't work,
fear no more!

I just started this Dell D820 Latitude with a new kernel that
installed when I was not looking: 2.6.24.4-64.fc8

Guess what? The WIFI led is flashing! I've not seen that since I
stopped using the ipw3945 driver.

Nice work.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 04-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Frank Elsner

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:21:00 -0500 Paul Johnson wrote:
> In case you are avoiding iwl3945 because the LED light doesn't work,
> fear no more!
>
> I just started this Dell D820 Latitude with a new kernel that
> installed when I was not looking: 2.6.24.4-64.fc8
>
> Guess what? The WIFI led is flashing! I've not seen that since I
> stopped using the ipw3945 driver.
>
> Nice work.

Nice to hear/read.

And what about F7?

I've tried the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 with my F7 system. LED goes on during boot
but network start fails constantly to determine an ip for wlan0 via dhcp.

--Frank Elsner

Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:21:00 -0500 Paul Johnson wrote:
> > In case you are avoiding iwl3945 because the LED light doesn't work,
> > fear no more!
> >
> > I just started this Dell D820 Latitude with a new kernel that
> > installed when I was not looking: 2.6.24.4-64.fc8
> >
> > Guess what? The WIFI led is flashing! I've not seen that since I
> > stopped using the ipw3945 driver.
> >
> > Nice work.
>
> Nice to hear/read.
>
> And what about F7?
>
> I've tried the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 with my F7 system. LED goes on during boot
> but network start fails constantly to determine an ip for wlan0 via dhcp.
>
> --Frank Elsner

We've discussed connection troubles here. Prominent, widespread
problem is that users have 2 services turned on that should be off.
The wpa_supplicant and network services should be off, and
NetworkManager should be on.

I was one of the people for whom wireless never worked and I
complained all the time. Finally removing the wpa_supplicant service
was the key, and now I can connect to wireless dependably using the
nm-applet program.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Frank Elsner

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:58:18 -0500 Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@tu-berlin.de> wrote:

[ ... ]

> > I've tried the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 with my F7 system. LED goes on during boot
> > but network start fails constantly to determine an ip for wlan0 via dhcp.
> >
> > --Frank Elsner
> >

> We've discussed connection troubles here. Prominent, widespread
> problem is that users have 2 services turned on that should be off.
> The wpa_supplicant and network services should be off, and
> NetworkManager should be on.
>
> I was one of the people for whom wireless never worked and I
> complained all the time. Finally removing the wpa_supplicant service
> was the key, and now I can connect to wireless dependably using the
> nm-applet program.

Misunderstanding, I guess :-)

I've *no* connection problems. I just tested the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 kernel
with my (working) configuration (using wpa_supplicant) because I want
to see the led flashing :-)

--Frank Elsner

Old 04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:58:18 -0500 Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>

> > > I've tried the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 with my F7 system. LED goes on during boot
> > > but network start fails constantly to determine an ip for wlan0 via dhcp.
> > >
> > > --Frank Elsner
> > >

> > We've discussed connection troubles here. Prominent, widespread
> > problem is that users have 2 services turned on that should be off.
> > The wpa_supplicant and network services should be off, and
> > NetworkManager should be on.
> >
> > I was one of the people for whom wireless never worked and I
> > complained all the time. Finally removing the wpa_supplicant service
> > was the key, and now I can connect to wireless dependably using the
> > nm-applet program.
>
> Misunderstanding, I guess :-)
>
> I've *no* connection problems. I just tested the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 kernel
> with my (working) configuration (using wpa_supplicant) because I want
> to see the led flashing :-)

That makes you feel better? that the LED is flashing? You realize it
just means the thing is consuming more power. A trivial amount to be
sure, actually i probably just spent more energy typing and sending
this email but strangely enough this realization has not prompted me
to stop typing. In fact that realization is just making this take
longer and using more precious energy.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Ian Malone

max bianco wrote:

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@tu-berlin.de> wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:58:18 -0500 Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@tu-berlin.de> wrote:

[ ... ]

> > I've tried the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 with my F7 system. LED goes on during boot
> > but network start fails constantly to determine an ip for wlan0 via dhcp.
> >
> > --Frank Elsner
> >

> We've discussed connection troubles here. Prominent, widespread
> problem is that users have 2 services turned on that should be off.
> The wpa_supplicant and network services should be off, and
> NetworkManager should be on.
>
> I was one of the people for whom wireless never worked and I
> complained all the time. Finally removing the wpa_supplicant service
> was the key, and now I can connect to wireless dependably using the
> nm-applet program.

Misunderstanding, I guess :-)

I've *no* connection problems. I just tested the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 kernel
with my (working) configuration (using wpa_supplicant) because I want
to see the led flashing :-)

That makes you feel better? that the LED is flashing? You realize it
just means the thing is consuming more power. A trivial amount to be
sure, actually i probably just spent more energy typing and sending
this email but strangely enough this realization has not prompted me
to stop typing. In fact that realization is just making this take
longer and using more precious energy.

It's quite useful in that it tells you:
1. That the wireless is on.
2. That there is network activity.