FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 AM
David Kramer
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Axel Thimm wrote:
Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if the
matching kmdls are not available?


No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a
kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and
therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are there
yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.


.. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next time
you reboot, X won't start for a few days. In fact, most kmdls are
pretty important for day-to-day operations. Clearly I can see how
someone else would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO
doesn't work for me.


But thanks for explaining it.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Axel Thimm
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:51:56PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>> Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if the
>>> matching kmdls are not available?
>>
>> No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a
>> kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and
>> therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are there
>> yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.
>
> .. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next time
> you reboot, X won't start for a few days. In fact, most kmdls are pretty
> important for day-to-day operations. Clearly I can see how someone else
> would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't work for
> me.

Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed most
users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third party
in getting their vendor updates.

If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a kmdl
exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to unmark
the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to
/etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Robin Laing
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Axel Thimm wrote:

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:51:56PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:

Axel Thimm wrote:
Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if the
matching kmdls are not available?

No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a
kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and
therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are there
yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.
.. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next time
you reboot, X won't start for a few days. In fact, most kmdls are pretty
important for day-to-day operations. Clearly I can see how someone else
would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't work for
me.


Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed most
users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third party
in getting their vendor updates.

If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a kmdl
exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to unmark
the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to
/etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.



What you are discussing is exactly what dkms is supposed to correct.

dkms(8) - Linux man page
http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms

dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically built
for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.



Since I moved to dkms, I have not had any issues with nvidia drivers on
any machine.



--
Robin Laing

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Robin Laing wrote:
>Axel Thimm wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:51:56PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
>>> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>>>> Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if the
>>>>> matching kmdls are not available?
>>>>
>>>> No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a
>>>> kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and
>>>> therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are there
>>>> yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.
>>>
>>> .. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next time
>>> you reboot, X won't start for a few days. In fact, most kmdls are pretty
>>> important for day-to-day operations. Clearly I can see how someone else
>>> would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't work
>>> for me.
>>
>> Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed most
>> users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third party
>> in getting their vendor updates.
>>
>> If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a kmdl
>> exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to unmark
>> the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to
>> /etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.
>
>What you are discussing is exactly what dkms is supposed to correct.
>
>dkms(8) - Linux man page
>http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms
>
>dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically built
>for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.
>
>
>Since I moved to dkms, I have not had any issues with nvidia drivers on
>any machine.
>
Humm, can you say that for post 2.6.25-rc0 kernels? I don't think so, Robin.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Money cannot buy love, nor even friendship.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
"Waleed Harbi"
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Try download nvidia driver from Nvidia web site, then download the kernel-dev rpm via yum after that start the installation in level 3.
Nvidia they have driver for linux, and it is working fine with me.


On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Robin Laing wrote:

>Axel Thimm wrote:

>> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:51:56PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:

>>> Axel Thimm wrote:

>>>>> Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if the

>>>>> matching kmdls are not available?

>>>>

>>>> No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a

>>>> kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and

>>>> therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are there

>>>> yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.

>>>

>>> .. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next time

>>> you reboot, X won't start for a few days. *In fact, most kmdls are pretty

>>> important for day-to-day operations. *Clearly I can see how someone else

>>> would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't work

>>> for me.

>>

>> Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed most

>> users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third party

>> in getting their vendor updates.

>>

>> If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a kmdl

>> exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to unmark

>> the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to

>> /etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.

>

>What you are discussing is exactly what dkms is supposed to correct.

>

>dkms(8) - Linux man page

>http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms

>

>dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically built

>for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.

>

>

>Since I moved to dkms, I have not had any issues with nvidia drivers on

>any machine. *

>

Humm, can you say that for post 2.6.25-rc0 kernels? *I don't think so, Robin.



--

Cheers, Gene

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:

*soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Money cannot buy love, nor even friendship.



--

fedora-list mailing list

fedora-list@redhat.com

To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list



--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yours,
Waleed Harbi
If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Waleed Harbi wrote:
>Try download nvidia driver from Nvidia web site, then download the
>kernel-dev rpm via yum after that start the installation in level 3.
>Nvidia they have driver for linux, and it is working fine with me.
>
>On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
>
The kernels video API was changed withn the first 2.6.25 release candidate,
and the driver available in the .12.run package will not build on 2.6.25-x
kernels, unless they have released a new driver in the last 24 hours or so.
I gave up, there is now an ati based 2400HD in this system. But I can't
watch tv with tvtime now, that overlay interface is missing from the radeonhd
driver.

As a tv engineer, that sucks, so I'm damned either way.


>wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Robin Laing wrote:
>> >Axel Thimm wrote:
>> >> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:51:56PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
>> >>> Axel Thimm wrote:
>> >>>>> Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if
>>
>> the
>>
>> >>>>> matching kmdls are not available?
>> >>>>
>> >>>> No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a
>> >>>> kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and
>> >>>> therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are there
>> >>>> yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.
>> >>>
>> >>> .. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next
>>
>> time
>>
>> >>> you reboot, X won't start for a few days. In fact, most kmdls are
>>
>> pretty
>>
>> >>> important for day-to-day operations. Clearly I can see how someone
>>
>> else
>>
>> >>> would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't
>>
>> work
>>
>> >>> for me.
>> >>
>> >> Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed most
>> >> users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third party
>> >> in getting their vendor updates.
>> >>
>> >> If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a kmdl
>> >> exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to unmark
>> >> the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to
>> >> /etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.
>> >
>> >What you are discussing is exactly what dkms is supposed to correct.
>> >
>> >dkms(8) - Linux man page
>> >http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms
>> >
>> >dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically built
>> >for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.
>> >
>> >
>> >Since I moved to dkms, I have not had any issues with nvidia drivers on
>> >any machine.
>>
>> Humm, can you say that for post 2.6.25-rc0 kernels? I don't think so,
>> Robin.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> Money cannot buy love, nor even friendship.
>>
>> --
>> fedora-list mailing list
>> fedora-list@redhat.com
>> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Your business will go through a period of considerable expansion.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
"Alan"
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Waleed Harbi wrote:
>>Try download nvidia driver from Nvidia web site, then download the
>>kernel-dev rpm via yum after that start the installation in level 3.
>>Nvidia they have driver for linux, and it is working fine with me.
>>
>>On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
>>
> The kernels video API was changed withn the first 2.6.25 release
> candidate,
> and the driver available in the .12.run package will not build on 2.6.25-x
> kernels, unless they have released a new driver in the last 24 hours or
> so.
> I gave up, there is now an ati based 2400HD in this system. But I can't
> watch tv with tvtime now, that overlay interface is missing from the
> radeonhd
> driver.

Check the nVIDIA forums. There is a patch for this problem available for
download.

> As a tv engineer, that sucks, so I'm damned either way.

As a tv engineer, you are damned no matter what.


>
>
>>wrote:
>>> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Robin Laing wrote:
>>> >Axel Thimm wrote:
>>> >> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:51:56PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
>>> >>> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>> >>>>> Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if
>>>
>>> the
>>>
>>> >>>>> matching kmdls are not available?
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a
>>> >>>> kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and
>>> >>>> therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are
>>> there
>>> >>>> yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.
>>> >>>
>>> >>> .. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next
>>>
>>> time
>>>
>>> >>> you reboot, X won't start for a few days. In fact, most kmdls are
>>>
>>> pretty
>>>
>>> >>> important for day-to-day operations. Clearly I can see how someone
>>>
>>> else
>>>
>>> >>> would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't
>>>
>>> work
>>>
>>> >>> for me.
>>> >>
>>> >> Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed
>>> most
>>> >> users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third
>>> party
>>> >> in getting their vendor updates.
>>> >>
>>> >> If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a
>>> kmdl
>>> >> exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to
>>> unmark
>>> >> the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to
>>> >> /etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.
>>> >
>>> >What you are discussing is exactly what dkms is supposed to correct.
>>> >
>>> >dkms(8) - Linux man page
>>> >http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms
>>> >
>>> >dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically
>>> built
>>> >for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >Since I moved to dkms, I have not had any issues with nvidia drivers
>>> on
>>> >any machine.
>>>
>>> Humm, can you say that for post 2.6.25-rc0 kernels? I don't think so,
>>> Robin.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers, Gene
>>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>>> Money cannot buy love, nor even friendship.
>>>
>>> --
>>> fedora-list mailing list
>>> fedora-list@redhat.com
>>> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>
>
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Your business will go through a period of considerable expansion.
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Alan wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Waleed Harbi wrote:
>>>Try download nvidia driver from Nvidia web site, then download the
>>>kernel-dev rpm via yum after that start the installation in level 3.
>>>Nvidia they have driver for linux, and it is working fine with me.
>>>
>>>On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
>>
>> The kernels video API was changed withn the first 2.6.25 release
>> candidate,
>> and the driver available in the .12.run package will not build on 2.6.25-x
>> kernels, unless they have released a new driver in the last 24 hours or
>> so.
>> I gave up, there is now an ati based 2400HD in this system. But I can't
>> watch tv with tvtime now, that overlay interface is missing from the
>> radeonhd
>> driver.
>
>Check the nVIDIA forums. There is a patch for this problem available for
>download.

Yes, and I have it, but it fails to apply. The patch instructs are a bit
obtuse to me. I've watched the errors because they can't code worth a damn
go by even when it says the build is good, been doing it for a couple of
years. Strange things have happened in that 2 years too, such as getting
LSN0 wiped clean at least once. Screw it, I need something more stable than
NVIDIA's own drivers have proven to be.

>> As a tv engineer, that sucks, so I'm damned either way.
>
>As a tv engineer, you are damned no matter what.

Chuckle. Either that, or if you are good at it, you get accused of walking on
water, which I have been occasionally. Even though I've been given the rolex
and retired into a transmitter maintenance role for 4 years now, the phone
still rings when the SHTF.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Ryan's Law:
Make three correct guesses consecutively
and you will establish yourself as an expert.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
"Alan"
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Alan wrote:
>>> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Waleed Harbi wrote:
>>>>Try download nvidia driver from Nvidia web site, then download the
>>>>kernel-dev rpm via yum after that start the installation in level 3.
>>>>Nvidia they have driver for linux, and it is working fine with me.
>>>>
>>>>On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
>>>
>>> The kernels video API was changed withn the first 2.6.25 release
>>> candidate,
>>> and the driver available in the .12.run package will not build on
>>> 2.6.25-x
>>> kernels, unless they have released a new driver in the last 24 hours or
>>> so.
>>> I gave up, there is now an ati based 2400HD in this system. But I
>>> can't
>>> watch tv with tvtime now, that overlay interface is missing from the
>>> radeonhd
>>> driver.
>>
>>Check the nVIDIA forums. There is a patch for this problem available for
>>download.
>
> Yes, and I have it, but it fails to apply. The patch instructs are a bit
> obtuse to me. I've watched the errors because they can't code worth a
> damn
> go by even when it says the build is good, been doing it for a couple of
> years. Strange things have happened in that 2 years too, such as getting
> LSN0 wiped clean at least once. Screw it, I need something more stable
> than
> NVIDIA's own drivers have proven to be.

I wish I could test it. My laptop is trying to resemble a nuclear reactor
at the moment. (Overheats on boot.) I hope to order a new one tomorrow,
but it will be a few weeks before I get the new one.

Maybe on the home system... I will check what kernel I am using there.

>>> As a tv engineer, that sucks, so I'm damned either way.
>>
>>As a tv engineer, you are damned no matter what.
>
> Chuckle. Either that, or if you are good at it, you get accused of
> walking on
> water, which I have been occasionally. Even though I've been given the
> rolex
> and retired into a transmitter maintenance role for 4 years now, the phone
> still rings when the SHTF.

In my job if you are good at it you are more likely accused of having a
pact with satan before being accused of walking on water.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Axel Thimm
 
Default nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:40:29AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:51:56PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
>>> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>>>> Does that mean it will prevent a kernel from getting installed if the
>>>>> matching kmdls are not available?
>>>> No, I didn't want a security update to be ladt off if it missed a
>>>> kmdl. But if you install a kernel the moment it gets released (and
>>>> therefore there are no kmdls yet available) once the kmdls are there
>>>> yum-plugin-kmdl will make yum update get them for you.
>>> .. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next time
>>> you reboot, X won't start for a few days. In fact, most kmdls are pretty
>>> important for day-to-day operations. Clearly I can see how someone else
>>> would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't work
>>> for me.
>>
>> Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed most
>> users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third party
>> in getting their vendor updates.
>>
>> If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a kmdl
>> exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to unmark
>> the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to
>> /etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.
>>
>
> What you are discussing is exactly what dkms is supposed to correct.
>
> dkms(8) - Linux man page
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms
>
> dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically built for
> each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.
>
>
> Since I moved to dkms, I have not had any issues with nvidia drivers on any
> machine.

The drivers break every few kernel upgrades, whether it's dkms or kmdl
doesn't matter. So you need to go back to the vendor and ask for a new
copy of the packages anyway.

And with kmdls you don't have to expose your system by installing
compilers and a whole development suite just for creating dkms built
modules.

But dkms does have it's benefits, which is why kmdl2 [1] has dkmdls

[1] Soon at an ATrpms mirror near you.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org