Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
jonetsu

Default F15 update: no more nvidia

Hello all,

This afternoon I updated the F15 x86_64 workstation I use. There
were quite a few updates in the pipe, so why not. There was properly
working nvidia setup which gave high Xorg resolution.

Before proceeding there was a warning from yum about the nvidia to
the effect that:

1:kmod-nvidia-2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.16.x86_64

needs:

kernel-uname-r = 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64

And that I should use '--skip-broken' to proceed.

So I thought that since everything is working fine right now, there is
nothing to loose to ignore this.

Wrong.

When the update was done I rebooted and no more X server. kernel
2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64 was installed.

After a bit of time I decided to edit grub.conf to boot the previous
kernel which was 2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64.

So now I have graphical output but only in 1024 low resolution.

How can I get back the high resolution eg, to get back the nvidia
driver in line ? I have both Fedora and rpm fusion repositories
configured.

uname -a is now:

2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64

When I try a 'yum install kmod-nvidia' (hopefully thinking it would
install one for the current kernel) there is the same complaint:

kmod-nvidia-2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.16.x86_64

needs:

kernel-uname-r = 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64

Which is not part of the three kernels that are installed and available.

Is it possible to precisely ask yum to install the
2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64 kernel that would work with nvidia ?

Or...

How to get back high resolution and if possible, how to get it back with
the new kernel that was just installed, 2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64, to
which I can point grub to ?

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 12 February 2012 17:17:55 jonetsu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This afternoon I updated the F15 x86_64 workstation I use. There
> were quite a few updates in the pipe, so why not. There was properly
> working nvidia setup which gave high Xorg resolution.
>
> Before proceeding there was a warning from yum about the nvidia to
> the effect that:
>
> 1:kmod-nvidia-2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.16.x86_64
>
> needs:
>
> kernel-uname-r = 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64
>
> And that I should use '--skip-broken' to proceed.
[snip]
> When the update was done I rebooted and no more X server. kernel
> 2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64 was installed.
[snip]
> Is it possible to precisely ask yum to install the
> 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64 kernel that would work with nvidia ?
>
> Or...
>
> How to get back high resolution and if possible, how to get it back with
> the new kernel that was just installed, 2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64, to
> which I can point grub to ?

Most probably the kmod-nvidia for the 2.6.42.3 kernel is a bit late. I advise
to boot into the latest kernel, do a "yum update kmod-nvidia" in the prompt,
and see if it gets pulled in. If yes, it should start working with the new
kernel. If not, wait a couple of days and retry.

While you wait for rpmfusion devs to produce the latest kmod, use whatever
kernel works, at whatever resolution works... :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Bruce Korb