-   -   Partition boot order (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/632005-partition-boot-order.html)

Frank Murphy 02-12-2012 03:57 PM

Partition boot order

In the box there are two physical drives
/dev/sda, /dev/sdb both gpt formatted. and encrypted where necessary
"/, swap, home"

How can I change the default booting order.

/dev/sda3 "swap" always comes up first. when booting up.

How can I change this behaviour so:
/dev/sda4 "/" comes up first.

This will enable me to use a keyfile to unlock
"home, swap".
with / being the only manual pw entry.

Have looked at both /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab.
and googled without success on this issue.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

JD 02-12-2012 04:06 PM

Partition boot order

In the box there are two physical drives

/dev/sda, /dev/sdb both gpt formatted. and encrypted where necessary

"/, swap, home"

How can I change the default booting order.

/dev/sda3 "swap" always comes up first. when booting up.

How can I change this behaviour so:

/dev/sda4 "/" comes up first.

This will enable me to use a keyfile to unlock

"home, swap".

with / being the only manual pw entry.

Have looked at both /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab.

and googled without success on this issue.

How many bootable partitions do you have?

Frank Murphy 02-12-2012 04:15 PM

Partition boot order

On 12 February 2012 17:06, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In the box there are two physical drives
>> /dev/sda, /dev/sdb both gpt formatted. and encrypted where necessary
>> "/, swap, home"
>>
>> How can I change the default booting order.
>>
>> /dev/sda3 "swap" always comes up first. when booting up.
>>
>> How can I change this behaviour so:
>> /dev/sda4 "/" comes up first.
>>
>> This will enable me to use a keyfile to unlock
>> "home, swap".
>> with / being the only manual pw entry.

> How many bootable partitions do you have?

/boot = /sda2
and "bios boot" = /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

Joe Zeff 02-12-2012 04:16 PM

Partition boot order

How many bootable partitions do you have?

A partition table can only have one partition marked as bootable.
However, only Microsoft pays any attention to it.

Frank Murphy 02-12-2012 04:24 PM

Partition boot order

> A partition table can only have one partition marked as bootable. However,
> only Microsoft pays any attention to it.
> --

How can I fix it.
To do what I want with the keyfile.

JD 02-12-2012 04:32 PM

Partition boot order

>> In the box there are two physical drives

>> /dev/sda, /dev/sdb both gpt formatted. and encrypted where necessary

>> "/, swap, home"

>> How can I change the default booting order.

>> /dev/sda3 "swap" always comes up first. when booting up.

>> How can I change this behaviour so:

>> /dev/sda4 "/" comes up first.

>> This will enable me to use a keyfile to unlock

>> "home, swap".

>> with / being the only manual pw entry.

> How many bootable partitions do you have?

/boot = /sda2

and "bios boot" = /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

OK, so when you boot from either bios bootable partitions,
what gets mounted as your root partition?

If you root partition is different in each of the two cases,
then you can control what gets mounted first in each root

partition's /etc/fstab file.

* * * because you use the same /boot dir, each kernel in grub.conf specifies it's root drive.
***** So, you may have to edit grub.conf so that each boot kernel (i.e title)* has two instances where

***** each one gets to specify it's root partition such as:
* * * root (hd0,1)
* * * or
* * * root (hd1,1)

***** Also, in each /etc/fstab (in the respective root partitions) you will need to
***** specify which partitions to mount first, and which swap partitions to use.

ope this is clear.

FRank Murphy 02-12-2012 04:49 PM

Partition boot order

OK, so when you boot from either bios bootable partitions,
what gets mounted as your root partition?

/sda4 is always /

If you root partition is different in each of the two cases,
then you can control what gets mounted first in each root
partition's /etc/fstab file.

set root='(hd0,gpt2)'

Also, in each /etc/fstab (in the respective root partitions) you
will need to
specify which partitions to mount first, and which swap
partitions to use.

Will give it a go.

If stuck, will resurrect tomorrow.
Thanks JD.

--
Regards
FRank

Harald Hoyer 02-13-2012 09:25 AM

Partition boot order

Am 12.02.2012 17:57, schrieb Frank Murphy:
> In the box there are two physical drives
> /dev/sda, /dev/sdb both gpt formatted. and encrypted where necessary
> "/, swap, home"
>
> How can I change the default booting order.
>
> /dev/sda3 "swap" always comes up first. when booting up.
>
> How can I change this behaviour so:
> /dev/sda4 "/" comes up first.
>
> This will enable me to use a keyfile to unlock
> "home, swap".
> with / being the only manual pw entry.
>
> Have looked at both /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab.
> and googled without success on this issue.

For example:

# blkid /dev/sda4
/dev/sda3: UUID="e9e189e2-74b8-4db8-9569-32c24e460672" TYPE="crypto_LUKS"

So, you add "rd.luks.uuid=e9e189e2-74b8-4db8-9569-32c24e460672" to your kernel
command line in grub*.cfg

# man dracut.kernel

Also: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/dracut/dracut.html#id434217

FRank Murphy 02-13-2012 01:30 PM

Partition boot order

/dev/sda3: UUID="e9e189e2-74b8-4db8-9569-32c24e460672" TYPE="crypto_LUKS"

So, you add "rd.luks.uuid=e9e189e2-74b8-4db8-9569-32c24e460672" to your kernel
command line in grub*.cfg

# man dracut.kernel

Also: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/dracut/dracut.html#id434217

Thank you Harald.