Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Michael Hennebry

Default grub vs. grub2

As F14 is EOL, I'm planning to install F16 real soon now.
The plan is to install F16 on a completely different set of partitions.
I've never had an install go right the first time.
Adding to the fear and trepidation, is the change from grub to grub2.
I'd like to be sure that after the disaster I can boot the old system.
Could I do something like put my old /boot onto a CD and boot from that?
If the old /boot isn't written over, could I use any live CD?

In the first case,
can I just tell the CD burner to burn the /boot partition?
In the second case, do I need to invoke the grub shell?
If so, what do I tell it?

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
whom I teach not to run with scissors,

Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Patrick Dupre

As F14 is EOL, I'm planning to install F16 real soon now.
The plan is to install F16 on a completely different set of partitions.
I've never had an install go right the first time.
Adding to the fear and trepidation, is the change from grub to grub2.
I'd like to be sure that after the disaster I can boot the old system.
Could I do something like put my old /boot onto a CD and boot from that?
If the old /boot isn't written over, could I use any live CD?

In the first case,
can I just tell the CD burner to burn the /boot partition?
In the second case, do I need to invoke the grub shell?
If so, what do I tell it?

Prepare CD Supergrub2 live in case

--
---