Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Jatin K

Default X won't start in fedora 16

On Saturday 11 February 2012 09:51 PM, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:

Hi,
When I boot all seems to go well at first. But after the log-in screen
a message pops up: "Oh no! Something has gone wrong" etc. I am advised
to log out and back in again, but the problem occurs every time. The
weird thing is that when I hit the windows-key the ususal
X-screensaver appears. But when I try to launch an application I get
an black screen with the error message again.

When I boot in rescue mode and try to start X it fails.

I vaguely remember having run into this problem before, years ago, but
I don't know how it was solved

Does anyone have a clue?

Peter

sometime ago it happed to me also ... on FC 14 , I just removed the
file xorg.conf .... and restarted the system in single user mode and run
Xorg --configure

it worked fine

Warm Regards

--
°v°
/(_)

Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM
James Wilkinson

Jatin K wrote:
> sometime ago it happed to me also ... on FC 14 , I just removed the
> file xorg.conf .... and restarted the system in single user mode and
> run Xorg --configure

Peter: did the error message look like
http://estrip.org/content/users/tinypliny/1111/IMG_20111117_083221.jpg

If so, it’s a Gnome error message, not X, and the chances are that X
itself is fine.

Try creating a brand new user and logging in under that ID.

Are you fully up-to-date?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | A wood-pigeon would, If a wood-pigeon could,
aprilcottage.co.uk | But a wood-pigeon can’t, So it won’t.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Peter Lesterhuis

Jatin K wrote:

sometime ago it happed to me also ... on FC 14 , I just removed the
file xorg.conf .... and restarted the system in single user mode and
run Xorg --configure

Peter: did the error message look like
http://estrip.org/content/users/tinypliny/1111/IMG_20111117_083221.jpg

If so, it’s a Gnome error message, not X, and the chances are that X
itself is fine.

Try creating a brand new user and logging in under that ID.

Are you fully up-to-date?

Yes that is the message get.

So it is a gnome error.

I tried your suggestion but after logging in under the new user I
get the sameÂ* error.

I also looked for a file xorg.conf in /etc/X11, but there is no file
called like that.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Peter