FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default ssh only after login

Christoph Höger wrote:

I'm seeing something really strange on my F8 notebook.

When I use it as a secondary computer (ca. 1m away on my desk) I'm just
too lazy to go to it for doing something.
So in common I just ssh over to it. But when I do that now, I got "no
route to host" if I'm not logged in locally.
As soon as I log in, everything works.
Is that some kind of NM-configuration bug?
I would suppose ssh to work, when no one is logged in already, as that
is, what I tend to do: log in.



I've disabled "Activate device when computer starts" for my eth0, in
favor of using NM, instead. In this case, the network adapter will not
be enabled until you log in. NM should work just fine if you leave that
enabled, but the laptop might take more time during bootup to get an IP
from DHCP (that is, if the cable is not plugged in, it will wait until
it times out)


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"
 
Default ssh only after login

Christoph Höger wrote:

Hi,

I'm seeing something really strange on my F8 notebook.

When I use it as a secondary computer (ca. 1m away on my desk) I'm just
too lazy to go to it for doing something.
So in common I just ssh over to it. But when I do that now, I got "no
route to host" if I'm not logged in locally.
As soon as I log in, everything works.
Is that some kind of NM-configuration bug?
I would suppose ssh to work, when no one is logged in already, as that
is, what I tend to do: log in.

any comments on that?

Christoph
I think this is the way Network Manager works. It does not bring up
the network interface until you log in. On the other hand, the
network service will bring up the network without anyone being
logged in.


While probably not accurate, I consider the network service for
servers, and maybe desktops, and the NetworkManager service for
laptops, where you are more likely to be changing networks often.


Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Christoph Höger
 
Default ssh only after login

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Konstantin Svist schrieb:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
>> I'm seeing something really strange on my F8 notebook.
>>
>> When I use it as a secondary computer (ca. 1m away on my desk) I'm just
>> too lazy to go to it for doing something.
>> So in common I just ssh over to it. But when I do that now, I got "no
>> route to host" if I'm not logged in locally.
>> As soon as I log in, everything works.
>> Is that some kind of NM-configuration bug?
>> I would suppose ssh to work, when no one is logged in already, as that
>> is, what I tend to do: log in.
>>
>
> I've disabled "Activate device when computer starts" for my eth0, in
> favor of using NM, instead. In this case, the network adapter will not
> be enabled until you log in. NM should work just fine if you leave that
> enabled, but the laptop might take more time during bootup to get an IP
> from DHCP (that is, if the cable is not plugged in, it will wait until
> it times out)
>

Hi,

I did not disable the Network startup in the boot process (at least I
see the "error no cable connected" message often).
I also think that NM is startet via /etc/init.d/NetworkManager and
should run without me logged in.

So why is my if blocked?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFH9Li6hMBO4cVSGS8RAg2pAJ4hNE55n0W7yNqu6XiCbx ULb2E/5wCguSsn
4l2Ih24nh83vjnAdnpnPE14=
=nXvl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Matthew Saltzman
 
Default ssh only after login

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 13:00 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Konstantin Svist schrieb:
> > Christoph Hger wrote:
> >> I'm seeing something really strange on my F8 notebook.
> >>
> >> When I use it as a secondary computer (ca. 1m away on my desk) I'm just
> >> too lazy to go to it for doing something.
> >> So in common I just ssh over to it. But when I do that now, I got "no
> >> route to host" if I'm not logged in locally.
> >> As soon as I log in, everything works.
> >> Is that some kind of NM-configuration bug?
> >> I would suppose ssh to work, when no one is logged in already, as that
> >> is, what I tend to do: log in.
> >>
> >
> > I've disabled "Activate device when computer starts" for my eth0, in
> > favor of using NM, instead. In this case, the network adapter will not
> > be enabled until you log in. NM should work just fine if you leave that
> > enabled, but the laptop might take more time during bootup to get an IP
> > from DHCP (that is, if the cable is not plugged in, it will wait until
> > it times out)
> >
>
> Hi,
>
> I did not disable the Network startup in the boot process (at least I
> see the "error no cable connected" message often).

You should, if you are using NM. Or disable NM if you are using the
network service.

> I also think that NM is startet via /etc/init.d/NetworkManager and
> should run without me logged in.
>
> So why is my if blocked?

The NM daemon runs at boot, but all configuration information is stored
in the user's directory, so no connection is made until a user logs in.
Connections are controlled through nm-applet or its KDE equivalent.

Boot-time connection configuration for NM is supposed to be ready for
F9, IIRC.

>
>
--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default ssh only after login

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 13:00 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:


I did not disable the Network startup in the boot process (at least I
see the "error no cable connected" message often).



Every time you get that message, the network won't connect until you log
in. Of course, if the cable _was_ plugged in, you should be able to ssh.



You should, if you are using NM. Or disable NM if you are using the
network service.



Actuallly, I've found that NM still works quite well even if eth0 has
been enabled during bootup. Exactly for the same reason as Christoph -
to SSH remotely while no user is logged in.

But maybe that's just me


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Dario Lesca
 
Default ssh only after login

Il giorno gio, 03/04/2008 alle 09.54 -0400, Matthew Saltzman ha scritto:

> Boot-time connection configuration for NM is supposed to be ready for
> F9, IIRC.

F7 have the NM boot-time connection.

My NoteBook with F7 have the service network, NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher start on boot and network work fine without I
log in, or I plug the network cable After it is started

This is why not use F8 on my NoteBook ...

I hope that F9 solves this error.

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it>

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default ssh only after login

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 23:01 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 03/04/2008 alle 09.54 -0400, Matthew Saltzman ha scritto:
>
> > Boot-time connection configuration for NM is supposed to be ready for
> > F9, IIRC.
>
> F7 have the NM boot-time connection.
>
> My NoteBook with F7 have the service network, NetworkManager and
> NetworkManagerDispatcher start on boot and network work fine without I
> log in, or I plug the network cable After it is started
>
> This is why not use F8 on my NoteBook ...
>
> I hope that F9 solves this error.
If you are saying that your laptop using f7 males a wireless connection
before you login that sounds strange unless you are using a version you compiled
yourself from the latest version in the database.

Now wired networking is different but wireless networking does not occur until
you login using the standard f7 rpm.
--
================================================== =====================
Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the
systematic organisation of hatreds. -- Henry Adams, "The Education of
Henry Adams"
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Dario Lesca
 
Default ssh only after login

Il giorno ven, 04/04/2008 alle 08.14 -0600, Aaron Konstam ha scritto:

> If you are saying that your laptop using f7 males a wireless connection
> before you login that sounds strange unless you are using a version
> you compiled yourself from the latest version in the database.
No, No, i use the standard RPM, I talk about a wired connection.

Wireless work only when I login ...

This work only in F7 ... with F8 i must login for get an IP via DHCP and
NM, and (for me) this is not correct.

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it>

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Matthew Saltzman
 
Default ssh only after login

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:39 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 04/04/2008 alle 08.14 -0600, Aaron Konstam ha scritto:
>
> > If you are saying that your laptop using f7 males a wireless connection
> > before you login that sounds strange unless you are using a version
> > you compiled yourself from the latest version in the database.
> No, No, i use the standard RPM, I talk about a wired connection.
>
> Wireless work only when I login ...

Then I believe you had something else going on, as NetworkManager has
not (to this point) had the capability to start a connection on its own.

If you started the network service (as opposed to NetworkManager)
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 was set to start on boot,
then that would explain the behavior you saw.

>
> This work only in F7 ... with F8 i must login for get an IP via DHCP and
> NM, and (for me) this is not correct.

If you want this behavior in F8, set NM_CONTROLLED=no and ONBOOT=yes
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (and vice versa in your
wireless script), and set the network service to start on boot.

In F9, I believe NetworkManager will be able to control your devices on
boot if you want, or on login.

>
--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org