Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Default Where does X11 get started for runlevel = 5 ???

> On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 00:00 -0600, clemens@dwf.com wrote:
> > It seems that I should be able to find this, but I dont see it
> > (no need, just curious), where does X11 get started for
> > runlevel = 5 ?
> >
> > I dont see it in the 3 startup scripts in /etc/rc.d nor the
> > scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d . It must be there, but I dont
> > see it... and thats iritating...
>
> Have you looked through: /etc/inittab

Of course I know about inittab.
The REAL question here is where is the line of code that starts it.
It doesnt appear to be in init.d, nor rc.d, tho it could be there via an
indirect call.
In any case, anyone else have a (real) idea where it is started?
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
max

clemens@dwf.com wrote:

It seems that I should be able to find this, but I dont see it
(no need, just curious), where does X11 get started for
runlevel = 5 ?

I dont see it in the 3 startup scripts in /etc/rc.d nor the
scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d . It must be there, but I dont
see it... and thats iritating...
Have you looked through: /etc/inittab

Of course I know about inittab.
The REAL question here is where is the line of code that starts it.
It doesnt appear to be in init.d, nor rc.d, tho it could be there via an
indirect call.

In any case, anyone else have a (real) idea where it is started?

http://www.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/redhat/linux/7.2/fr/doc/RH-DOCS/rhl-rg-en-7.2/s1-x-runlevels.html

may provide a clue.

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 PM

---- clemens@dwf.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 00:00 -0600, clemens@dwf.com wrote:
> > > It seems that I should be able to find this, but I dont see it
> > > (no need, just curious), where does X11 get started for
> > > runlevel = 5 ?
> > >
> > > I dont see it in the 3 startup scripts in /etc/rc.d nor the
> > > scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d . It must be there, but I dont
> > > see it... and thats iritating...
> >
> > Have you looked through: /etc/inittab
> >
> Of course I know about inittab.
> The REAL question here is where is the line of code that starts it.
> It doesnt appear to be in init.d, nor rc.d, tho it could be there via an
> indirect call.
> In any case, anyone else have a (real) idea where it is started?
> --
> Reg.Clemens
> reg@dwf.com

It depends on what you mean by starting X11.

If you are referring to the display manager then the entry that starts it is

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

from ./etc/inittab.

prefdm is a shell script which will invoke your favorite display manager, usually gdm of Fedora, which in turn will start the Xorg display server.

Paolo