Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM
don fisher

Default icmp Operation not permitted message on ping

Sorry to be back again. My mail and browser work, and I can ping as
root. When I try to ping as a user I get:

ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted

There is probably a group that I need to add to my profile, but it was
not obvious to me. Suggestions welcome. Is there a way to add groups to
my account without using system-config-users?

Where are these things documented?

Thanks,
Don

Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 AM
don fisher

Sorry to be back again. My mail and browser work, and I can ping as root. When I try to ping as a user I get:

ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted

There is probably a group that I need to add to my profile, but it was not obvious to me. Suggestions welcome. Is there a way to
add groups to my account without using system-config-users?

Where are these things documented?

Thanks,
Don

Don, what are the permissions on /bin/ping (ls -al /bin/ping)? Mine are set to 755 (-rwxr-xr-x) and ping works for me as non-root.

Kevin
My protections are the same as yours. As I read the error message, I
think that the problem is not being able to open the socket.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 PM
don fisher

Sorry to be back again. My mail and browser work, and I can ping as root. When I try to ping as a user I get:

ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted

There is probably a group that I need to add to my profile, but it was not obvious to me. Suggestions welcome. Is there a way to
add groups to my account without using system-config-users?

Where are these things documented?

Thanks,
Don

Don, what are the permissions on /bin/ping (ls -al /bin/ping)? Mine are set to 755 (-rwxr-xr-x) and ping works for me as non-root.

Kevin
Yesterday I built a new system on another disk that allows ping to work
as expected. My system crashed once,o a few thing must have been
"disturbed". I was trying to figure out how t repair it.

Thanks
Don

| Don Fisher hdf3@comcast.net |
| 865 W. Cresta Loma Dr. VOICE: (520)888-7613 |
| Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705 |

Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
don fisher

Sorry to be back again. My mail and browser work, and I can ping as
root. When I try to ping as a user I get:

ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted

There is probably a group that I need to add to my profile, but it
was not obvious to me. Suggestions welcome. Is there a way to
add groups to my account without using system-config-users?

Where are these things documented?

Thanks,
Don

Don, what are the permissions on /bin/ping (ls -al /bin/ping)? Mine
are set to 755 (-rwxr-xr-x) and ping works for me as non-root.

Kevin

Yesterday I built a new system on another disk that allows ping to work
as expected. My system crashed once,o a few thing must have been
"disturbed". I was trying to figure out how t repair it.

Smells like an selinux thing. Check your logs to see if you're getting
AVC denials. If so, you may need to relabel.

Rick,
Where are the seliunx messages logged? I looked in /var/log/secure and
the only thing I saw was a notice of when I used sudo to test ping. What
would I need to relabel? I am a dunce on security issues.

Thanks
don

Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
don fisher

[...]

They'd be in /var/log/messages if that's what's happening. You can
"touch /.autorelabel" to force a full autorelabel on reboot. That can
take some time.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- -
- We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse. -

Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Kevin Martin

Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 PM
don fisher

My getcap /bin/ping showed nothing. I reinstalled iputils as suggested
and now I get the correct response from getcap AND ping works:-) How do
you think it could have become broken?

Thanks again,
Don

Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Kevin Martin

On 02/10/2012 08:10 AM, don fisher wrote:
> On 02/10/12 11:15, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Yesterday I built a new system on another disk that allows ping to work
>>> as expected. My system crashed once,o a few thing must have been
>>> "disturbed". I was trying to figure out how t repair it.
>>
>> Smells like an selinux thing. Check your logs to see if you're getting
>> AVC denials. If so, you may need to relabel.
> Rick,
> Where are the seliunx messages logged? I looked in /var/log/secure and the only thing I saw was a notice of when I used sudo to
> test ping. What would I need to relabel? I am a dunce on security issues.
>
> Thanks
> don
if you've got strace installed you could strace the execution of the ping command and that should show you when it fails and why as
well.

Kevin

Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Joe Zeff

On 02/10/2012 06:10 AM, don fisher wrote:

Rick,
Where are the seliunx messages logged? I looked in /var/log/secure and
the only thing I saw was a notice of when I used sudo to test ping. What
would I need to relabel? I am a dunce on security issues.

Generally, the SELinux Troubleshooter should pop up, show you the error
message and give you instructions on how to correct the problem. If it
hasn't, you can find it on the System Menu and run it that way if you
want to be sure.